Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Is the Colt Navy possibly the coolest gun ever made?  (Read 34230 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Is the Colt Navy possibly the coolest gun ever made?
« on: January 30, 2014, 09:39:13 PM »
IMHO, could be!
The looks, the feel.....CLASSIC!
While I love the satisfying CLANG! of a .44 slug on a gong, the .375 RB is a proven man-stopper, and pretty much the choice of 90% of all confederate sidearms. There were a lot of technically better Colts produced after the '51, and arguably a lot of better firearms than the open-top Colts for that matter. But few spur the imagination like the classic look of the Navy revolver. Even though it was on it's way to being obsolete by the beginning of the Civil War, it served as a platform for many Confed copies such as the Schneider & Glassick, Griswold & Gunnison and others and earned it's rightful place in history.

"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
Re: Is the Colt Navy possibly the coolest gun ever made?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 04:28:06 AM »
I love the Navys!  I actually like em better than my 1860, but I do like the lines of the 61 and 62's.  For a pocket gun, it is just impossible to beat the baby dragoon or wells fargo .31's, in my studied opinion. 
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 06:19:56 AM »
People talk about the earlier models (Walker and Dragoon) being the revolvers that started it all for Colt but it can be argued that the '51 Navy is the one that made Colt the country's most popular revolver.  I do not think it is the prettiest of the Colt guns but is one of the classic designs of the Civil War period and probably the most recognized revolver of it's time.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 11:43:29 AM »
I have never been a fan of the Navy Colt, although I do own two of them.  Now, the Improved Navy, well that really gets my heart pumping!

Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Don

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 02:18:55 PM »
The Colt Navy revolver is by far the best looking handgun ever made. The 1851 is a gem but my new fav is the 1861 my wife bought me last Christmas. Its sleek and sexy and shoots a stout load of Swiss powder with accuracy. The Navy Colt will forever be one of my favorite handguns.

Don

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 04:02:34 PM »
The 60 and 61 are sexy in their own right but there's just something special about the 51 the others can't touch.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 03:25:50 AM »

I sold my last modern rifle, a SKS, to buy this pistol

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 05:23:31 AM »
I like all Colts.  L@.

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 07:14:20 AM »
I like all Colts.  L@.

I am with ya Mad Dog !!!
BIGTED

Offline dc7x64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 11:50:47 AM »
........In .44 cal there is NO equal IMHO. The gun Sam Colt should have made and easily so.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 12:24:19 PM »
........In .44 cal there is NO equal IMHO. The gun Sam Colt should have made and easily so.

Not really. The 51's were made from wrought iron and the chamber walls would have been too thin for .44 pressures. When the 60 came about silver spring steel had been developed by Thomas Firth & Sons in Sheffield, England and was used for the cylinders and barrels. Silver spring steel was a marketing gimmick but the steel used had a controlled carbon content making it stronger than wrought iron. On a side note Colt used wrought iron frames up to the smokeless period.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 10:33:33 PM »

Not really. The 51's were made from wrought iron and the chamber walls would have been too thin for .44 pressures. When the 60 came about silver spring steel had been developed by Thomas Firth & Sons in Sheffield, England and was used for the cylinders and barrels. Silver spring steel was a marketing gimmick but the steel used had a controlled carbon content making it stronger than wrought iron. On a side note Colt used wrought iron frames up to the smokeless period.

Interesting and good to know, Hawg!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline dc7x64

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 10:52:26 PM »
Your right Hawg, the technology or rather materials in the 1850's would not have been suitable to build a .44 cal Navy. But after the invent of the 1860 Army would it have not been possible to make  a '51 style .44?  I have always thought it strange that they brought back the '51 style with the Pocket Navy. Sam Colt died in 1862, so I wondered how much he really had to do with business decisions at that time ???

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 09:25:22 AM »
Is the Colt Navy possibly the coolest gun ever made?

Yep.  '51 or '61, they are both gorgeous guns.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 09:56:07 AM »
you know, I go on my tangents with which guns particularly catch my fancy.  For a minute there, I was enthralled with Confederate styles, then it was the 48-49 pockets, then it was the 73's, then it was 51's, and then I really started likeing the 61, 62's.  I only wish that the guns of today could catch my attention as much as the guns of the 18th and 19th Centurys do.  I like some of the turn of the 1900's guns, but from then on, it's pretty much a dearth.