Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Geronimo's Rifle  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
Geronimo's Rifle
« on: July 02, 2022, 12:57:16 PM »
Geronimo "surrendered" a few times before his final capture and relocation to Florida. His rifle of choice was a 73 Springfield (79 modification). He preferred it over the Winchesters. The first pic is a rifle he surrendered to John Clum in 1877.

He was deadly with that rifle, see this short article https://frontierpartisans.com/1794/firearms-of-the-frontier-partisans-geronimos-rifle/

Finally, one of my favorite historic pictures is Geronimo surrendering to George Crook in 1886. It's interesting to look closely at the clothing worn. Note Crook is wearing moccasins and a pith helmet.

The Apache Wars was the longest war the US has ever fought. Even though Geronimo's "band" was quite small and included women and children, they held off the USA from 1849 to 1886, with small skirmishes continuing until 1924.

Hope the pics work.....
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Re: Geronimo's Rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 02:33:10 PM »
This is some very interesting history. He was quite a figure back then. I like the original photos.

One of my favorite ones of him is a staged photo with him holding a Dance & Bros pistol. I don't think he carried one regularly, though.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 06:15:49 PM »
I doubt it. Later in life.....Geronimo made money selling signed pictures of himself. I would imagine that is one of them.

From what I understand, a handgun would not have had as much value as a long gun. I would have just slowed them down.
-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 10:22:03 PM »
Exactly. No one would want all that extra weight without good reason.

It's interesting that he chose one of the best rifles for long range work. He obviously knew his strength was with that. A single shot under those circumstances would not be a drawback. Especially if he had other warriors around him with repeaters to keep confrontations distant. That one photo definitely shows him the only one with the long rifle. Is that a support stick he was holding in the photo with the rifle?

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 10:50:38 PM »
Exactly. No one would want all that extra weight without good reason.

It's interesting that he chose one of the best rifles for long range work. He obviously knew his strength was with that. A single shot under those circumstances would not be a drawback. Especially if he had other warriors around him with repeaters to keep confrontations distant. That one photo definitely shows him the only one with the long rifle. Is that a support stick he was holding in the photo with the rifle?

A lot of Indians carried pistols. Maybe not every day but on raids and battles they did. It's actually two sticks. He probably used them for cross sticks.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2022, 04:48:46 AM »
Great thread Mick and a most interesting article too from Frontier Partisans. Thank you!

The wife and I visited Fort Pickens near Pensacola, Florida back in the late 80's. It was very interesting and yet sad that he had become merely a tourist attraction.. I snipped this from Santa Rosa Island Authority website.

"By February 1887, tourists from all across the country were arriving in Pensacola by train to visit the fort and see the prisoners. Admission was 50 cents for adults and 25 cents for children. On one recorded Sunday, 459 tourists visited the fort. Geronimo had become a sideshow spectacle.
Geronimo and his warriors spent nearly two years at Fort Pickens working manual labor. In May 1887, the wives and children of Geronimo’s band were returned to them, but many had died of malaria while in confinement. Eventually the imprisoned Apaches were moved to Mount Vernon, Ala., due to a yellow fever scare, and then later on to Fort Sill in the Oklahoma Territory. Geronimo spent the last 23 years of his life as a prisoner of war until his death from pneumonia in 1909. In 1913, after 27 years of imprisonment, the Chiricahua Apaches were finally set free and were no longer prisoners-of-war. One-third opted to stay at Fort Sill, while two-thirds moved to the Mescalero Apache Reservation, in New Mexico.
Geronimo and the Chiricaua Apache’s resistance came at a steep cost. The Chiricahua lost loved ones, their lands, their traditional ways of life, and for 27 years their freedom. During Geronimo’s prime, the Chiricahua Apache had numbered 1,200. At the end of the war, in 1886, they numbered 500. By their release in 1913, they numbered only 261.

Historians would later come to define Geronimo’s legacy as one of the most legendary warriors in American history.

Today, Geronimo’s story of continued resistance against tremendous odds continues to inspire thousands of visitors to Fort Pickens every year. There are now over 850 Chiricahua Apache living in the U.S., and the descendants of Geronimo and his band still live on."
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 05:07:40 AM by Zulch »

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2022, 08:22:57 AM »
It's actually two sticks. He probably used them for cross sticks.
Yeah, that does look like two sticks. Good observation.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 10:30:00 AM »
Great info Tim! The Chiricahua's all got screwed over because of Geronimo's actions with the forced displacement to FLA. Even those that served loyally as Army scouts fighting against Geronimo's band.
-Mick

Offline NLM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2022, 11:40:04 AM »
Thanks for the pics and info all.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 12:33:38 PM »
Just another amazing photo. Geronimo and Naiche at Fort Bowie after Geronimo's last surrender.

I hiked into the old fort a few years back. Quite a hike, about 5 miles all up hill. But it was worth it just to stand on this spot.

The Apache Wars begun about mile downhill from the fort and ended at the fort.

In the picture, Geronimo is sporting some mighty fancy boots.... most likely a procurement from the US.

The other 3 pics were taken on my hike there. The site of the Bascom Affair (beginning of the Apache Wars) and a marker overlooking Fort Bowie showing a picture of how it appeared in the 1890's. So many things to take in on this hike, I think I had goosebumps the entire time!
-Mick

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2022, 12:34:33 PM »
-Mick

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2022, 12:45:31 PM »
Trying again....

-Mick

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2022, 12:47:34 PM »
....and you may be asking, why was this location so important? It was the only source of water for about a 40+ mile radius.
-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2022, 01:22:49 PM »
Spectacular photos, Mick. It looks like that uphill hike was well worth it. Great stuff, pard!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2022, 02:55:46 PM »
In the picture, Geronimo is sporting some mighty fancy boots.... most likely a procurement from the US.

They don't look like cavalry boots of the time.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.