Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: New Pietta 1851 Navy  (Read 4950 times)

Online Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: New Pietta 1851 Navy
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2022, 06:22:50 PM »
It sounds like the bolt isn't disengaging. Take the cylinder off and slowly start to cock the hammer while watching the bolt. The bolt should start dropping as soon as the hammer starts moving.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2022, 06:32:38 PM »
Oldman, it was probably those #10 caps not going on far enough.  I haven't been able to put #10 CCI caps on anything that has ever been through the shop!! ( they're so small!!!)  Anyway,  #11 CCI's or #10 Remingtons  should be a perfect fit. What happens with the small cap isthat it won't seat fully which in turn won't allow the hammer to come down far enough to allow the bolt to reset over the hammer cam.  Thus, you end up trying to cock a still locked revolver.  When you shot them starting from full cock,  there was enough energy to crush the cap,fir the weapon and the bolt was reset, ready to cycle again.  Letting it down on a capped nipple with your thumb keeps it just shy of reset.

If you'll listen to the action as you let the hammer down, you'll hear 2 clicks. The first is the hand selecting the next ratchet tooth and the second one is the bolt  arm "resetting " over the cam so that it can unlock the cylinder for the next cycle.

Mike

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2022, 08:12:11 PM »
Listen to Mike. Decades of knowledge there...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline oldman

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2022, 06:06:57 AM »
Thanks Mike, I do have some Remington caps and will try them today. The gun shot great and will likely be a favorite of mine. I will give it another try today with the Remington caps.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2022, 06:57:15 AM »
Oldman. Good luck and good shooting today. I hope the cap was/is the issue for you as Mike has stated.  :-*

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2022, 08:23:35 AM »
Hi Old, it's always a good practice to push each cap using a small dowel. That properly seats  caps.

Mike nailed the issue!

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Sooty Barrels

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2022, 06:01:20 AM »
I agree with ssb73q, I push each cap with a wood dowel to properly seat the caps

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2022, 10:20:27 AM »
I agree with ssb73q, I push each cap with a wood dowel to properly seat the caps

+2. Don't seat them with a metallic object or using the hammer.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline oldman

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2022, 03:51:19 PM »
Well guys I have good news, I finally fixed my problem with the new Pietta 1851 Navy made in 2022. Hawg and Mike were both right, first thing the #10 CCI were a no go and then I tried #10 Remington which were also a no go. So after tearing the thing down more times than I am going to admit, I finally saw a post from Mike about the bolt which described my problem, and Hawg said he thought it was the bolt at first. This thing was not releasing the bolt until the hammer actually hit the nipple, so after working on the left side of the bolt, which Mike described in his post to a another person, it works great now. Now I understand how the bolt and the hammer work together, and it releases the bolt earlier now which solved my problem. I have a set of Slixshot nipples in there now, and it works perfect. One thing is for sure I learned a lot from doing the work myself, and this is a lesson that will not be forgotten. Also, I smoothed out areas that needed it and learned a lot in the process, and once I get some more primers it is going to the range. I think this was what I needed as a newbie, now I just need to find a place who has the piano spring in stock, as I want to have one on hand.

Now another problem, I am looking at adding a 1861 Navy to the group LOL...The Navy grip fits my hand perfect, and I think the 1860 Army will be too big. Love the Navy 1851 and this is going to be the go to range gun. Thanks guys for your help, in the process of working on this thing, I got to shoot it approximately 50 times, and I am very impressed with the accuracy and handling of the revolver. I actually like it better than the 1858 Remington.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2022, 05:33:44 PM »
Oldman. Very happy to hear that you worked out the problem. That is fantastic. There are some good and smart guys here. Very happy it worked out for you. An 1861 huh?🤔 sounds like a great idea to me. 👍👍 I like the 1861. I have a Pietta. My 1851 is a gregorelli/uberti. There’s just something about the size of those guns that are appealing to me.  :usa-flag-89:

Offline oldman

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2022, 07:06:30 PM »
Well just looking right now, but an 1861 looks really good. I have to get some round balls casted but man it's been so hot I don't want to go do anything after work. I enjoy doing things myself but I have to work still so my range time and casting time is not as important as paying the bills. Staying caught up at home with me traveling is hard to do. Thanks for all the help and keep on BP shooting.

Online Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2022, 11:36:45 PM »
Glad you got it worked out. I want a 61 meownself. The 60 grip is longer but it shouldn't be too big. It's a little too Bisleyish for my tastes but it's not too bad.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline oldman

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2022, 04:36:42 AM »
Thank you Hawg and Mike for your help. If I do get a 1861 it will probably be a Uberti so if might go straight Mike!⁶

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2022, 05:19:18 AM »
Well just looking right now, but an 1861 looks really good. I have to get some round balls casted but man it's been so hot I don't want to go do anything after work. I enjoy doing things myself but I have to work still so my range time and casting time is not as important as paying the bills. Staying caught up at home with me traveling is hard to do. Thanks for all the help and keep on BP shooting.

oldman, good morning. I totally understand the work issue. I still work as well. I used to travel for work quite a bit myself but thankfully no longer. It seems we spend the better part of our days at work.  :icon_scratch: I realize you are looking at Uberti for the 1861 but the new Pietta's do not need the short arbor fix as you may be aware of  L@J ...just sayin' Z
Meanwhile, here's my 1861 Pietta  L@J
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 05:26:20 AM by Zulch »

Offline Sooty Barrels

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2022, 06:17:34 AM »
Z  that is a good looking revolver! Is it Antique finished?