Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Billy the Kid  (Read 3656 times)

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
Re: Billy the Kid
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2022, 11:18:22 AM »
I rode the Billy The Kid trail on my motorcycle a few years back. Amazing country. Had lunch in Fort Sumner, walked around what was then part of Tunstall's ranch, visited the jail in Lincoln, spent the night in Las Vegas NM.....I have a friend in Ruidoso that took me to the site of an old mill that was the scene of one of Henry McCarty's gun fights. I highly recommend the journey. Some stunning country to see.
Mick, you’ve done some interesting things. I too would love to go that trip. Don’t laugh (7+" I’ve never had heard of Las Vegas, NM only Nevada (7+" (7+" okay okay… go ahead, Laugh. I’ll bet that was surreal being in the jail at Ft. Sumner?

The jail is in Lincoln, not Fort Sumner. Very small town now......but worth the visit. So is Las Vegas....that was a boom town back in the day.

"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2022, 04:23:24 PM »
Thank you for correcting my mistake and clarifying the actual location of the jail. 👍👍 thanks for posting the marker too. 😁 :usa-flag-89:

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2022, 06:43:34 PM »
As for Pat Garrett.....he won acclaim for killing an unarmed man in the dark while he slept.  But he did get his man....
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2022, 06:49:14 PM »

I’ve never had heard of Las Vegas, NM only Nevada

You need to get out more Z.  L@J L@J L@J L@J
😳😳

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2022, 09:42:04 PM »
https://www.legendsofamerica.com/nm-lasvegas/    The story about Doc Holliday killing Mike Gordon isn't true or if it is it didn't go down that way.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2022, 10:35:53 AM »
https://www.legendsofamerica.com/nm-lasvegas/    The story about Doc Holliday killing Mike Gordon isn't true or if it is it didn't go down that way.

Hawg, great link man. Fascinating stuff on Las Vegas, NM. Good read. That was at the time a thriving place with the Atchison Topeka and the Santa Fe railroad through! Almost sounds like a song. L@J Sheesh. Now I know. Amazing, very little activity on this thread. For those who have taken time and have posted, I Thank you.  :-*

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2022, 01:03:41 PM »
Thanks for that link, Hawg. I'll add Las Vegas, NM top my places to go list.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2022, 02:37:26 PM »
Well since this thread isn't going anywhere. The story in the link about Billy's finger being sold to a newspaper is a hoax. According to Pat Garret Billy's grave was undisturbed. The story about Doc Holliday and Mike Gordon is also incorrect. The story says he got in an argument with Gordon and invited him out in the street and shot him three times in the belly. Another version is Gordon was trying to make one of the saloon girls leave with him. When the girl refused to leave he went outside and fired two shots into the saloon and Doc went to the door and shot him once in the chest. The coroners report said he had one bullet wound to the chest. The official inquiry didn't mention Doc. It was ruled that the fatal gunshot wound to Gordon's chest was 'inflicted by some person unknown to that jury. I didn't research any of the other stories in the link but IMO they're suspect too.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2022, 07:01:19 AM »
Cool photo album. Lots of interesting places shown in them. I see a white KW and a black one. Two different ones or a repaint?

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2022, 12:09:47 PM »
Great pictures!

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2022, 07:58:21 PM »
Cool photo album. Lots of interesting places shown in them. I see a white KW and a black one. Two different ones or a repaint?
When you lease a truck from Kenworth, they give you a rental-loaner. Blanca was the interim truck, Shêtân was the PAcLease custom order that I was waiting on when I was driving Blanca.

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2022, 07:59:19 PM »
Great pictures!

Thanks.
it's my passion, truck driving allowed it.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2022, 09:06:08 PM »
When you lease a truck from Kenworth, they give you a rental-loaner. Blanca was the interim truck, Shêtân was the PAcLease custom order that I was waiting on when I was driving Blanca.
I didn't know they did that. It's very cool they give you something to drive while yours is being built. Thanks for the explanation.

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2022, 10:23:43 PM »
For the $7k a month that truck cost him, I'd hope they gave a tickle... Yeah, it's a slick program. Everything but diesel or driver-inflicted damage is covered with the lease payment.