Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Billy the Kid  (Read 3662 times)

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Re: Billy the Kid
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2022, 07:09:55 AM »
For the $7k a month that truck cost him, I'd hope they gave a tickle... Yeah, it's a slick program. Everything but diesel or driver-inflicted damage is covered with the lease payment.
That is a pretty good program they offer.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2022, 11:34:35 AM »
Great article in this issue of True West mag about Billy's last day on earth....and the follow up after.

Some interesting things came to light. Billy was quite popular with the Mexican community in Fort Sumner, so much so that they gave him a nickname....El Chivato...which means "little goat". Most likely because of his buck teeth. Deluvina Maxwell, a former Navajo slave and the Maxwells housekeeper became Billy's surrogate mother.

Peter Maxwell, his girlfriends father tipped off Pat Garrett......

The Mexican community at Fort Sumner were also ready to do away with Pat Garret and his deputies the night Billy's shooting. The lawmen barricaded themselves in a house and kept guard all night.

His body was carried to the Fort Sumner carpenter shop where Hispano women washed his body in prep for his funeral, after which his body was displayed for several days so that respects could be paid.

With all of that said, it should dispel any thoughts that Billy somehow survived to live out his life. Everyone in Fort Sumner at the time would have seen the body and if it wasn't Billy, somebody would have said something at some time.

I'm sorry I can't post a link to the article at this time. I'm sure it'll come up in time, but the magazine likes to keep these things in house for a while after publication.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2022, 12:54:07 PM »
Great article in this issue of True West mag about Billy's last day on earth....and the follow up after.

Some interesting things came to light. Billy was quite popular with the Mexican community in Fort Sumner, so much so that they gave him a nickname....El Chivato...which means "little goat". Most likely because of his buck teeth. Deluvina Maxwell, a former Navajo slave and the Maxwells housekeeper became Billy's surrogate mother.

Peter Maxwell, his girlfriends father tipped off Pat Garrett......

The Mexican community at Fort Sumner were also ready to do away with Pat Garret and his deputies the night Billy's shooting. The lawmen barricaded themselves in a house and kept guard all night.

His body was carried to the Fort Sumner carpenter shop where Hispano women washed his body in prep for his funeral, after which his body was displayed for several days so that respects could be paid.

With all of that said, it should dispel any thoughts that Billy somehow survived to live out his life. Everyone in Fort Sumner at the time would have seen the body and if it wasn't Billy, somebody would have said something at some time.

I'm sorry I can't post a link to the article at this time. I'm sure it'll come up in time, but the magazine likes to keep these things in house for a while after publication.
That must be in the OCT 2022 magazine? Has El Chivato on the front cover. Funny, but the term kid can be a reference for a goat?

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2022, 03:41:03 PM »
Yup...that's the one! Great issue. Yup....I'm sure the "kid" reference was most likely because of the Chivato nickname, not because of his age. You didn't want to bump heads with that billy goat....
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2022, 05:00:17 AM »
Yup...that's the one! Great issue. Yup....I'm sure the "kid" reference was most likely because of the Chivato nickname, not because of his age. You didn't want to bump heads with that billy goat....
Roger that Mick! 🐐