Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Latest Project  (Read 4959 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Latest Project
« on: September 12, 2022, 11:32:00 AM »
I have a G 33/40 Mauser that's been sporterized. The metalwork was done by somebody that knew what he was doing. The woodwork is less than stellar. I bought a Richards Microfit stock but it's rough cut and the barrel channel is 1/2 inch. I bought it as figured maple but somebody that knows wood said it was English walnut. I dunno, all I know is it's hard as nails and I can't find anybody willing to finish it out. 60 grit sandpaper on a vibrating sander wont touch it. I got the flats smoothed down with pumice stone but I'm afraid I'll mess up the curves with it. I also have a target rifle built on a 1903 A3. It has an early Mike Rock barrel on it. I don't long range target shoot anymore and haven't for a lot of years. It weighs something like 15 pounds. Awhile back I got the dumbstupid idea of putting it in a sporter stock and hunting with it. I had to open up the barrel channel a lot to get the target barrel in it. It still weighs about 14 pounds and it was a great idea to take a rifle with a trigger pull of an ounce hunting. Anyway I was moving stuff around the other day and got to looking at the stock and rifle and was wondering how close the Mauser would come to fitting the 03 stock. Its pretty close. All it needs is a little trimming on the insides for the action and the trigger guard. However there's a huge gap in the barrel channel that will need to be filled with something. There will also be small gaps around the receiver that will need to be filled with something.

This is the Mauser when I first got it.

This is the Microfit stock.

This is the Mauser in the sporter stock. Sorry the pics are so dark. It's raining and the lighting in my gunroom is bad.

If I can get it in and the gaps filled. I don't what to use for that, I would like to refinish the stock and refresh the checkering. I don't know if I have the skillset for that but I'm willing to try. I just have to get the checkering tools.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Latest Project
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 06:30:23 PM »
Looks like a fun winter project, Hawg! I know you'll do right by it.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 07:00:35 PM »
Got any idea on what to fill the gaps with? Thinking about fiberglass but there's the color and weight.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 09:04:42 PM »
That new stock looks gorgeous.

Do you have the checkering tools? I tried to buy some a good while back.....the guy took my $$$ and that was the last I heard from him.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 09:31:10 PM »

Do you have the checkering tools? I tried to buy some a good while back.....the guy took my $$$ and that was the last I heard from him.

It's ok but it could look better. I think its an old Bishop stock. I could do without the recoil pad but I'm stuck with it. This is it next to the target stock. I don't know why I thought it would be a few pounds lighter. (7+" No I don't have any checkering tools. A couple of people on another forum told me I need a 60 degree single line cutter and a 90 degree. I can get the two in a set for around 42.00.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 05:19:08 AM »
This will fill the stock gaps.   It can be sanded and stained too.                                                     
https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Bondo-12-fl-oz-Wood-Filler-30081/206680651

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 07:29:21 AM »
Hawg, that sure looks like a fun project. I know little to nothing about the rifle. The most interesting thing to me about the project is to see how you repair, build up  :icon_scratch: the checkerboard. I can’t wait to see it👍👍

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2022, 08:35:24 AM »

Wonder how it will stand up to recoil?

Hawg, that sure looks like a fun project. I know little to nothing about the rifle. The most interesting thing to me about the project is to see how you repair, build up  :icon_scratch: the checkerboard. I can’t wait to see it👍👍

Z, the G 33/40 was a rifle issued to German mountain troops. It is shorter and lighter than a K98. The barrel is 19.4 inches and the receiver is a small ring that's been milled to make it lighter. The hole spacing for the action screws are closer together than a K98 so I can't use a stock for a K98 which are all over the place. Richards Mocrofit is the only place I could find that sold stocks for it but they're rough cut with a starter barrel channel. Mine is a numbers matching rifle and would be worth at least twice as much as a K 98 if it hadn't been sporterized but then if it hadn't been sporterized I probably wouldn't have it. They were made at the Czech factory at Brno under German occupation between 1940-1942.

[/quote]

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2022, 08:59:59 AM »

[/quote]

It should hold up well.   It's two part epoxy just like Bondo but has fiberglass fibers mixed in.  It bonds to wood very well.   I've used it for lots of repairs but haven't used it on a gun stock so I can't make any guarantees.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2022, 09:09:40 AM »

It should hold up well.   It's two part epoxy just like Bondo but has fiberglass fibers mixed in.  It bonds to wood very well.   I've used it for lots of repairs but haven't used it on a gun stock so I can't make any guarantees.
[/quote]
Hey Hawg. Thanks for the history. That is really nice to know that! Educate me some more. Is that considered a carbine? 🥴

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2022, 11:29:54 AM »

It's ok but it could look better. I think its an old Bishop stock. I could do without the recoil pad but I'm stuck with it. This is it next to the target stock. I don't know why I thought it would be a few pounds lighter. (7+" No I don't have any checkering tools. A couple of people on another forum told me I need a 60 degree single line cutter and a 90 degree. I can get the two in a set for around 42.00.

I hope you have better luck than I did on the tools. It would be fun to try doing it....
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2022, 11:41:48 AM »
Hey Hawg. Thanks for the history. That is really nice to know that! Educate me some more. Is that considered a carbine? 🥴

The G stands for Gewehr which is German for rifle. It actually is a carbine but If they had classified it as a carbine they would have been marked Kar or K instead of G.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2022, 11:46:36 AM »

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2022, 01:13:39 PM »
Thanks for the link!
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2022, 02:52:21 PM »
Thanks for the link!

You're welcome. I'd think the manufacturer would be reliable.