Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1871-1872 Open Top pics  (Read 1554 times)

Offline dangt

• View Profile
1871-1872 Open Top pics
« on: January 17, 2023, 09:42:24 AM »
In another thread Zulch asked to see pics of my Open Top.  Hope you weren't expecting to see an actual Colt antique, Zulch.   Nothing special about mine, a Uberti made replica.

The 5.5" barrel was added after purchasing it with a 7.5".  I just have grown  to like the "artillery" length barrels on single action revolvers.  No problem with fitting so I can easily put the longer barrel on if ever I or my heirs want to.

The pic of the cylinder close-up shows a fresh, unfired, un-crimped, un-expanded Srarline 44 Special case.  It will not fully seat showing the chamber is short.  This problem is only similar to Zulch's ammo chambering failure in the other mentioned thread, but with a different cause.  For my own gun, I load 44 Colt and 44 Russian cases.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 1871-1872 Open Top pics
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 10:16:00 AM »
dangt. thanks for posting your gun and the cylinder/round unseated. IIRC you've said that your barrel (the 7.5") was/is stamped 44spl? Correct me if I am in error here. The 5" stamped 44 colt? I assume the cylinder was never changed. Maybe I'm missing something here, I can almost guarantee that I am LOL, I just wonder why the .44spl casing will not seat if the gun was chambered in .44 spl. That's a nice replica dangt. I like it. that's nice that you can swap to the 7.5 inch as well. I have a Pietta 1860 that I bought from Shotgun Dave that came with the 5.5" and I bought the 7.5 barrel as well for that reason. Fun stuff indeed. Do you get to shoot often? Z

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 10:27:54 AM »
Z have you tried putting a fired case in your cylinder?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 11:55:51 AM »
I have not Hawg. Was what I asked dangt stupid?  (7+" (7+"

Offline dangt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 12:08:39 PM »
My 71-72 was bought new .  It's original barrel and box were marked "44 Special" but I found the "problem" before a shot was fired.  I had first primed a couple of new cases just to make sure there was no unforeseen problem before driving to the desert to shoot the gun.   That's when I found new unfired, sized or unsized, with untouched case mouths, cases would not fully seat in my gun's cylinder.  I had four other 44 Special handguns that I have reloaded for ( now have six others) so I knew something was amiss.  Loaded cartridges with roll crimped bullets would chamber but I never gave the gun a chance to fire these.  I am convinced that a crimped case could not fully open upon firing and expelling the bullet.

I have not made a chamber cast to measure.  I did not feel the need to.  I just use shorter cases:  44 colt and 44 Russian.   The replacement 5.5" barrel that I happened to find in stock was coincidentally available only in 44 colt caliber.   Its groove to groove dimension is the same as the original barrel.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2023, 12:32:11 PM »
My 71-72 was bought new .  It's original barrel and box were marked "44 Special" but I found the "problem" before a shot was fired.  I had first primed a couple of new cases just to make sure there was no unforeseen problem before driving to the desert to shoot the gun.   That's when I found new unfired, sized or unsized, with untouched case mouths, cases would not fully seat in my gun's cylinder.  I had four other 44 Special handguns that I have reloaded for ( now have six others) so I knew something was amiss.  Loaded cartridges with roll crimped bullets would chamber but I never gave the gun a chance to fire these.  I am convinced that a crimped case could not fully open upon firing and expelling the bullet.

I have not made a chamber cast to measure.  I did not feel the need to.  I just use shorter cases:  44 colt and 44 Russian.   The replacement 5.5" barrel that I happened to find in stock was coincidentally available only in 44 colt caliber.   Its groove to groove dimension is the same as the original barrel.
dangt thank you sir. A very detailed explanation and I think I understand now. I appreciate you explaining. I am new to the cartridge world so it's much appreciated. It sounds like you have quite the collection of shooters!  This makes very good sense to me "I am convinced that a crimped case could not fully open upon firing and expelling the bullet". Thanks again. Z
"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2023, 12:34:52 PM »
I'm pretty confident that bullet would manage to find it's way of of the end of a roll crimped cartridge. Might shave a smidge of lead, but the bullet obturates in the barrel anyway.
But as long as you can get Russian or Colt brass, why not? Sounds like you found a simple solution.
And as to your gun being "nothing special"... I disagree!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline dangt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 01:48:50 PM »
I think  if I had fired 44 Special loads there would have been more than a smidge of lead wiped off the sides of the bullet.  There would have been some pressure increase also.   I was not a bit curious to find out how Special loads would work.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2023, 02:45:00 PM »
Can’t say that I blame you one bit dangt.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2023, 04:42:52 PM »
Y'all are missing something here. He can insert them fully with a little more thumb pressure. Do you really think he can squeeze a brass case with a FMJ down a short chamber with his thumb?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2023, 05:30:08 PM »
Y'all are missing something here. He can insert them fully with a little more thumb pressure. Do you really think he can squeeze a brass case with a FMJ down a short chamber with his thumb?
I'd have to see it myself.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2023, 11:46:23 AM »

I think you are referring to Tim's gun Hawg. But I agree. Seemed a bit odd that just thumb pressure is all that was needed to send the cartridge home. My guess is, that it would fire from the gun with no problems. Or am I out of my tree?
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2023, 12:24:11 PM »
Seemed a bit odd that just thumb pressure is all that was needed to send the cartridge home. My guess is, that it would fire from the gun with no problems. Or am I out of my tree?

I believe it did, Dave.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2023, 12:38:57 PM »
I think you are referring to Tim's gun Hawg. But I agree. Seemed a bit odd that just thumb pressure is all that was needed to send the cartridge home. My guess is, that it would fire from the gun with no problems. Or am I out of my tree?

I was indeed referring to Tim's gun. They did fire fine. He told me that fired cases do fit the chambers, so the cartridges he got had the bullets seated too far out for his gun.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2023, 05:48:52 AM »
A very good older friend of mine stopped by the other day and gave me some ammo for the .44special. He himself has a lot of different guns mostly rifles and just a few hand guns. I was floored when he came in and said I’ve got something for you. He had bought these years back and found them one day. A very nice person not just because he gave me these. He is about 81 years of age and is originally from NH. Made a career of the army. He has a wealth of knowledge which he freely shares with me. He is a giving person in many ways. I hope to, like him, repay these kind of favors to others as I grow older. I guess you can say he is an inspiring individual. Sorry to hijack your thread dangt. I posted this on my phone and selected the wrong thread.