Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: First holsters try  (Read 5392 times)

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
Re: First holsters try
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2023, 04:15:58 AM »
Thanks for the information about vinegaroon as most of my leather is black and does rub off a little. I will give it a try but geezookers I HATE the smell of vinegar!
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2023, 06:23:32 AM »
Thanks for the information about vinegaroon as most of my leather is black and does rub off a little. I will give it a try but geezookers I HATE the smell of vinegar!
Perhaps, but it's only while you treat the leather. After that, there shouldn't be any vinegar smell. Try it on a scrap first so you're satisfied. If it leaves a residual smell, you can always dump the stuff. It isn't expensive, 35 cents worth of vinegar and the cost of a large steel wool pad.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2023, 10:10:28 AM »
I need to try this stuff. I do black more often than I like....and no matter what dye....it always rubs off. I use Angelus dye for everything else with good results and a great color selection. But the black still rubs off.

There are some spray dyes that don't rub off, learned this from a saddle maker mentor of mine. But it is rather expensive. https://www.amazon.com/TRG-Super-Leather-Canvas-Colors/dp/B01N1YYLZZ/ref=sxts_rp_s_a_1_0?content-id=amzn1.sym.eff26b9b-e255-411b-a40d-eccb21f93fe4%3Aamzn1.sym.eff26b9b-e255-411b-a40d-eccb21f93fe4&crid=1LQTNBRFG8ER1&cv_ct_cx=leather+spray+dye&keywords=leather+spray+dye&pd_rd_i=B01N1YYLZZ&pd_rd_r=72e1352f-0908-4f01-97dd-66953d96e5de&pd_rd_w=eK8dz&pd_rd_wg=llOX9&pf_rd_p=eff26b9b-e255-411b-a40d-eccb21f93fe4&pf_rd_r=PST63D1QCZ9QWXF5T50G&qid=1677175798&sprefix=leather+spray+dye%2Caps%2C149&sr=1-1-5985efba-8948-4f09-9122-d605505c9d1e

So Marshall Will......about how many ounces of vinegar to a steel wool pad? Do you make up the baking powder solution in a tub to dip the entire holster? Then do a plain water dip?
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2023, 11:56:19 AM »
I need to try this stuff. I do black more often than I like....and no matter what dye....it always rubs off. I use Angelus dye for everything else with good results and a great color selection. But the black still rubs off.

There are some spray dyes that don't rub off, learned this from a saddle maker mentor of mine. But it is rather expensive. https://www.amazon.com/TRG-Super-Leather-Canvas-Colors/dp/B01N1YYLZZ/ref=sxts_rp_s_a_1_0?content-id=amzn1.sym.eff26b9b-e255-411b-a40d-eccb21f93fe4%3Aamzn1.sym.eff26b9b-e255-411b-a40d-eccb21f93fe4&crid=1LQTNBRFG8ER1&cv_ct_cx=leather+spray+dye&keywords=leather+spray+dye&pd_rd_i=B01N1YYLZZ&pd_rd_r=72e1352f-0908-4f01-97dd-66953d96e5de&pd_rd_w=eK8dz&pd_rd_wg=llOX9&pf_rd_p=eff26b9b-e255-411b-a40d-eccb21f93fe4&pf_rd_r=PST63D1QCZ9QWXF5T50G&qid=1677175798&sprefix=leather+spray+dye%2Caps%2C149&sr=1-1-5985efba-8948-4f09-9122-d605505c9d1e

So Marshall Will......about how many ounces of vinegar to a steel wool pad? Do you make up the baking powder solution in a tub to dip the entire holster? Then do a plain water dip?
I use one large steel wool pad in just under a quart of vinegar. I wipe the baking powder solution on just like the vinegaroon and rinse it as soon as it's soaked in. I generally rinse it under the tap. I do all this prior to assembling the holster although there's no reason not to dip a completed holster. It just takes more vinegaroon and neutralizing solution.

One maker I know keeps a 55 gallon barrel full of water with steel shavings, horseshoes and scraps in the bottom. He just dips the completed project in the rusty water and the job is done in one step. No vinegar or baking soda needed. You do need a barrel kept somewhere. I think he said it took a year or so to get the water rusty enough to work.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 12:04:54 PM by Marshal Will »

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2023, 12:19:44 PM »
In my experience dipping the entire project produces the best results.   When I tried wiping it on I had spotty results.  Dipping was always more consistent.   Probably because I was using various grades of leather,  the quality of the veg-tan can affect how well the vinagroon works.  As Marshal explained, a barrel or tank is needed to dip larger pieces.    The vinagroon containers were known as "pickle tanks".   I bought a 5 gallon bucket of vinegar and threw an entire package of steel wool in it. 

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2023, 12:32:57 PM »
In my experience dipping the entire project produces the best results.   When I tried wiping it on I had spotty results.  Dipping was always more consistent.   Probably because I was using various grades of leather,  the quality of the veg-tan can affect how well the vinagroon works.  As Marshal explained, a barrel or tank is needed to dip larger pieces.    The vinagroon containers were known as "pickle tanks".   I bought a 5 gallon bucket of vinegar and threw an entire package of steel wool in it.
I like this idea. Since white vinegar is so inexpensive, it's definitely a good solution.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2023, 03:46:24 PM »
I bought the 5 gallon bucket of vinegar at Costco years ago.    I bet they still sell it that way.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2023, 03:54:51 PM »
Thanks for the info! I'll have to give it  try.
-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2023, 04:28:33 PM »
I bought the 5 gallon bucket of vinegar at Costco years ago.    I bet they still sell it that way.
In our area, it's sold in boxes of two 1 gallon jugs. Last time I got any it was something like $1.15/gal. A couple of those and a 5-gallon pail from Home Depot and you're in business.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2023, 03:14:50 PM »
Awesome job on the holsters Navy Six! Welcome to the wonderful world of leather craft!

If it's any help, I have used Marshal's recipe to make my own vinagroon several times, and it works perfectly. It turns leather a beautiful deep black. I do dunk my leather though. It's just faster and easier for me.

There is also another plus to using vingaroon. It doesn't turn your fingers black. It's just vinegar, so there's no mess on your hands. it will however turn some wood black.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2023, 04:00:34 PM »
The sheath for the round knife in this pic was done with vinegaroon. So was the wooden handle. Sometimes the wood reacts nicely to get a beautiful mellow brown color.

Here's the knife before the handle was treated with vinegaroon.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2023, 04:03:05 PM »
LOL..... that's almost as many band aids as I need when using the round knife.
-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2023, 04:09:58 PM »
LOL..... that's almost as many band aids as I need when using the round knife.
I hear ya. That photo was staged, of course, but I was rocking the knife one day making a lot of small cuts. I felt it touch my wrist lightly with each cut but didn't think much about it until I found I was leaking all over the work bench out of a good dozen nicks. The backs of those points are darn sharp. I considered cutting one side of the knife off after that but there are times when the whole thing is useful. That inspired the photo, though.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2023, 05:59:21 PM »
Yes indeed...It gave me a good laugh cuz I've been there
-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2023, 09:12:25 PM »
I'm sure most of us have.