Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: First holsters try  (Read 5393 times)

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
First holsters try
« on: February 21, 2023, 11:09:27 AM »
Hope the picture is attached correctly(my first attempt at that too). Anyway, this is my first attempt at holster making. Yes, I copied the general design from a commercial offering but these are shortened and for a pair of Walkers. Really enjoyed the process and can tell already how I could improve on the next pair.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 03:32:34 PM by Navy Six »
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: First holsters try
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 11:26:03 AM »
Those came out excellent! :cowboypistol:
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 11:29:26 AM »
Those look great! I really enjoy making holsters too. It's a lot of fun. The more you work with leather, you start to realize why it was so widely used. It's an amazing material. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Online Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 11:41:27 AM »
Those Look good.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 01:02:25 PM »
Very nice job Navy Six  :cowboypistol:

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 02:58:20 PM »
Looking good! Now you're hooked. Holsters can be loads of fun and you never have too many. Nice work on those.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 03:42:16 PM »
Good work Navy Six.   What black dye did you use?

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2023, 04:00:53 PM »
Mike, I used two coats of Fiebing's Pro Dye Black applied heavily with a wool dauber. After drying, two coats of Skidmores all of which I had to(?) apply before the spots and conchos. Just gum tragacanth on the edges.
This was a lot of fun and I believe I will try a few more. I tried to work slowly and kept in mind something I heard Purdy Gear say some years ago when asked about her work, "I sweat the details". Now I know how much work you guys put in on each job!!
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2023, 04:23:36 PM »
You won't go wrong following advice from Karla (of Purdy Gear).
She was/is the best.
I ask about the black dye because sometimes the black will rub off onto clothing.    Usually USMC black dye from Feibings is what I hear complaints about.   Feibings Pro dye has also been mentioned in discussions about color bleeding.    Vinagroon is one way to avoid it but I use Tandy black waterstain when I do black pieces.     It never rubs off or bleeds even with sweaty people.   

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2023, 09:22:00 AM »
For what's worth, I always use vinegaroon. I like the deep black it does compared with any dye I've used. Also, dye can fade out over time where vinegaroon doesn't loose it's rich look.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2023, 12:42:21 PM »
For what's worth, I always use vinegaroon. I like the deep black it does compared with any dye I've used. Also, dye can fade out over time where vinegaroon doesn't loose it's rich look.

So how do you make your vinegaroon?
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2023, 12:45:55 PM »
For me Vinagroon is a pain to make and takes up too much space to store.   I got rid of my "pickle tank" years ago.   I only do a couple black pieces a year so it's not worth the trouble for me.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2023, 04:43:32 PM »

So how do you make your vinegaroon?
I take one of those large 0000 steel wool pads and clean the oils out of it with brake cleaner. Then shake out as much of the excess cleaner that I can and I burn off the rest. I put that in a quart of white vinegar. It off gasses so leave the lid loose so it can breathe. In 3 or 4 days it is generally usable. It takes a little while for all the steel wool to disappear but the batch is good for a year or two. It always looks nasty but that doesn't  hurt how it works. The stuff is so effective that you don't need to dunk the piece. Just wipe on a heavy coat. I do both sides. I neutralize the piece with a very mild baking soda rinse. Then I rinse it in plain water. Too much baking soda will burn the leather and make it brittle.

Online Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2023, 04:52:31 PM »
I take one of those large 0000 steel wool pads and clean the oils out of it with brake cleaner. Then shake out as much of the excess cleaner that I can and I burn off the rest.

The steel wool doesn't burn?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2023, 09:46:00 PM »
I take one of those large 0000 steel wool pads and clean the oils out of it with brake cleaner. Then shake out as much of the excess cleaner that I can and I burn off the rest.

The steel wool doesn't burn?
It does a little but the steel wool still does the trick. I just don't let it burn away. Maybe the oxidized steel still combines with the vinegar properly. I suppose you could let the cleaner evaporate away and give it a try. The main thing is to get the oils off. In fact, next time I make some, I'll do that to see. It's not like it's an expensive outlay if it doesn't work.