Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Rain, Rain, Rain  (Read 2929 times)

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Rain, Rain, Rain
« on: March 12, 2023, 01:49:32 PM »
Well, all the roads and highways from Aromas into Watsonville (and on to Aptos and Santa Cruz) are blocked and traffic through Aromas is choked up solid because we get all the traffic heading from the South to and from Watsonville. Even Hwy 1 is flooded by the Pajaro river. Pajaro, along San Juan Road into Watsonville is totally flooded because the levee broke and it's basically a lake in there. sleepy Aromas is awake right now. The river is over the bank in aromas but it is flooding only farm land. It's a good day to sit back and relax.

The first picture is from the Register-Pajaronian newspaper. The other two I took here in Aromas.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Rain, Rain, Rain
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 04:47:47 AM »
Cali has had quite a bit of rain it seems.  :-[

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 07:49:05 AM »
So almost all the traffic heading into, or out of, Watsonville, other than from the North through Santa Cruz, has to pass through Aromas. Traffic that would normally go Hwy 1, Hall Rd and San Juan Rd is all funneled through Aromas onto the only route left open, Hwy 129. There are normally just a few cars passing sporadically through town as a few locals head out to go to work but the traffic is backed up for miles in and out of town. You can see the traffic along Carpenteria Road through the center of town and Rogge Lane toward Hwy 129 against the hills. That traffic is backed up past us and we're a mile and a half from Hwy 129. Carpenteria Road is also backed up a mile and a half where it butts into San Juan Road to the South. That is almost into town. This is what traffic through Aromas looked like this morning at 7:00.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 10:37:18 AM »
I forgot to mention that Heckler Pass from Gilroy to Watsonville is also closed due to slides. All that traffic is funneled through here, too. Hwy 129 is stop and go the whole distance from Hwy 101 To Watsonville.

On top of all that, there are areas in Salinas that are flooded and/or evacuated. Some in Marina, too.

Man, I'm glad I don't need to go anywhere right now.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 10:59:08 AM »
Wow.....you guys really got hit. Glad you're safe at home!
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 11:06:30 AM »
Thanks, Mick. We are in good shape here. The river can't rise enough to get to us. Fortunately we don't have to go anywhere. I feel sorry for the people who do. Our mail and package deliveries might be delayed a bit but there's nothing we need that we don't have.

The river has subsided a little so here, at least, it isn't over the banks. They're cranking to fill the 120' breach in the levee with rocks. If they get that closed today, there is the Pineapple Express rolling through here tomorrow again so more might let go.

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 03:07:12 PM »
All that water….  And they won’t build anymore reservoirs.  All our water just drains into the bay.  A friend lives near Atwater and has had to help another friend fill sandbags.  Look at the problems with the snow in Southern California,  the people cut off for ten days or more,  people freezing to death etc.  And all that is ok,  because the governor has been vacationing in Mexico.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 03:54:48 PM »
The major reservoirs that exist have a pumping system to manage the water back and forth from one to another as needed but CACA doesn't use it. At least they don't use it properly.

Today, the rush hour subsided at 12:00 and the backup to Hwy 129 was reduced. By 3:00, though, the traffic had backed up past us (1-1/2 mile backup) again.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2023, 07:53:25 AM »
All the roads and highways are still closed and probably will be for the next week or more. There's a lot less traffic this morning. Maybe a lot of people started their commute several hours earlier to avoid the ball-up here in Aromas. I suspect a lot of people took the day off. It's a good thing because it's raining like crazy and is expected to do so all day. There was a traffic backup earlier but it's now looking more like a normal day of commuters.

The river here is back inside it's banks but the new rain might change that. Also, Hwy 129, the only open route into Watsonville, generally gets closed in the rain because of slides. There are a couple places where it follows the Pajaro River and is cut into the base of a cliff. The ground above that is fairly unstable and every year it covers the road in at least a couple places. It hasn't happened yet in these recent storms so it's due. If that happens, The only way to Watsonville is up Hwy 101, across the Santa Cruz Mountains via Hwy 17 and then through Santa Cruz along Hwy 1 Southward. That makes it about 90 miles (over a mountain highway that often gets closed in bad weather, too) to go to a town 8 miles away. Needless to say we won't be heading to Watsonville until another route is open. It would be a drag to get stranded over there when a slide blocks Hwy 129 and possibly even Hwy 17.

Yep, we're going to happily sit here and listen to the rain on the roof. If the rain lets up later, we'll take the dogs out for a stroll so they can sniff all the new smells. I think I hear a cup of cocoa calling me.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2023, 08:28:28 AM »
The traffic yesterday was the worst. It was backed up through here from 6:30 am until 9:00 pm. Today Hwy 1, Hall Road and Hecker Pass (Hwy 152) are open so traffic is almost back to normal. At least it isn't backed up here in Aromas. San Juan Road is still closed because Pajaro is still a lake but that's the only closure and traffic is spread out again.

There has been no rain yesterday and today. The Pajaro River has subsided some and both breaks in the levee are getting repaired so that will be ready to keep the waters out of the Pajaro Valley. Everything should get back to normal soon. Man, what a ride that has been. Long range weather shows more rain coming but nothing like what we had so I doubt we'll have any further problems.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2023, 02:10:57 PM »
Good to hear!
-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2023, 02:25:29 PM »
Thanks, Mick. It's nice to have the traffic back to normal again.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2023, 08:00:40 PM »
I can imagine! Glad the worst is hopefully over. We're having an awfully wet spring here in south AZ.
-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2023, 09:27:01 PM »
We have friends in Prescott and they're getting hit a lot there. I didn't realize it was down your way, too. I guess it's not a local phenomenon.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2023, 05:00:37 AM »
I hope you guys get a little relief from the rain Marshal. Too much in a short amount of time the earth don't have time to soak it in good? Sounds like the traffic isn't getting back to normal. That's a nice thing I'm sure.