Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Rossi 92? LSI Puma? What gives?  (Read 5536 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Rossi 92? LSI Puma? What gives?
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2023, 10:15:51 AM »
For this application I think so. You want to completely fill the action so everything has a grease coating while you work it. Graphite might work but I think it would rub off the moving parts if it wasn't filled. You're going to have to work the action for at least two hours and three will make it smoother. You want all the moving parts to gently wear into each other.

Not powered graphite the old graphite grease that was sold by Gunslick. Hard to find nowadays.

That's good stuff, AZ6. I still have a smidge left in my cleaning box. Must be from the 1970's...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2023, 10:35:11 AM »
Not powered graphite the old graphite grease that was sold by Gunslick. Hard to find nowadays.

I know what you meant. You can find it on Amazon. Methinks you'd have to work it longer because the graphite won't let the parts wear in as fast.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2023, 11:07:12 AM »
When I got my first 92, the blued braztech SRC, i replaced the springs with the steves gunz kit and filled it with regular old white colgate toothpaste and worked the action while watching tv for about an hour. It's smooth as silk now. My stainless interarms "pre safety" 92 SRC got the same treatment but it was already pretty smooth after the springs were replaced. it too is smooth as silk, if not more so than the blued rifle...

On another note, i like the saddle ring carbine the best. the saddle ring attachment loop gets the rifle up off the table a little bit and makes it easier to pick up in a SASS match...
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2023, 11:07:50 AM »
I held my first Rossi 92 by Braztech on Saturday. Went to an LGS and they had a stainless new in box. The guy let me hold and glom it. I really like the feel of it. Not to weighty and it felt evenly distributed. I did not buy but when I do buy one I will at least know it's size and weight, practically speaking. I prefer a blued gun though.  :usa-flag-89:

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2023, 11:57:02 AM »
The toothpaste idea is good, Bruce. The abrasive in it is very mild so it doesn't trash your teeth. I have used it to fine polish things.

Offline AZ6Gun

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2023, 01:20:20 AM »
The toothpaste idea is good, Bruce. The abrasive in it is very mild so it doesn't trash your teeth. I have used it to fine polish things.
I remember the toothpaste trick. Has to be the white kind like a brightener and jel type.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2023, 06:56:15 AM »
I've always just used any old toothpaste. It all has a very mild abrasive in it. I think the 'whiter' stuff also has chemicals for whitening.