Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Rossi 92? LSI Puma? What gives?  (Read 5520 times)

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Rossi 92? LSI Puma? What gives?
« on: April 05, 2023, 06:42:31 AM »
Here is another lever action rifle chambered in .45 Colt belonging to a friend of mine. I only have the one picture but he stated that this is his earlier model Puma? Earlier meaning?? 
  I assume this was made by Rossi' for LSI ?? Help me here. Is the Puma branding merely placed on a Rossi' 92? Are all Puma's equipped with the saddle ring? Now, I really like this rifle. I hope to be shooting it this summer as he says he is going to bring it up to his Dad's house and let me fire it. I do not believe he is interested in selling it. He has however, offered to help me find one to my liking. I'm interested in hearing from anyone here who owns of one of these and or has had experience with one and why they like it or even why they don't like it? Thanks guys!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Rossi 92? LSI Puma? What gives?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 10:21:47 AM »
 Legacy Sports owns the Puma name. Rossi Pumas were made in the 80's. Now LSI is importing Chiappa 92's and branding them with the Puma name. BrazTech has been importing Rossi's since 1997. Before Braztech and after LSI Rossi was imported by Interarms.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2023, 10:29:35 AM »
Legacy Sports owns the Puma name. Rossi Pumas were made in the 80's. Now LSI is importing Chiappa 92's and branding them with the Puma name. BrazTech has been importing Rossi's since 1997. Before Braztech and after LSI Rossi was imported by Interarms.
Thank you Hawg. What is the best manufacture year in your opinion if I were to look for one?

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2023, 10:52:34 AM »
I honestly don't know Z. Mine was imported by Interarms. The action was rough. You had to really slam the lever forward to get the carrier to rise. I filled the action with white lithium grease and worked it for a few hours and after that you could work cartridges through it with one finger easily. Working it vs stoning makes the parts wear in together. Stoning does give a little smoother action. Using lighter springs lightens it up even more. Mine was in 44-40 and an excellent shooter. It was reliable and never jammed. My only dislike about it is the front sight is mounted on the front barrel band like an 1873 instead of behind the barrel band where it belongs. IMO the Chiappa is a better choice. I don't know if all of the BrazTech Rossi's have a manual safety but most of them do and that for me is a hard pass. I hated to sell mine because I really liked it but it is what it is. Mine looked a lot like the one in your pic.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 11:27:21 AM »
I honestly don't know Z. Mine was imported by Interarms. The action was rough. You had to really slam the lever forward to get the carrier to rise. I filled the action with white lithium grease and worked it for a few hours and after that you could work cartridges through it with one finger easily. Working it vs stoning makes the parts wear in together. Stoning does give a little smoother action. Using lighter springs lightens it up even more. Mine was in 44-40 and an excellent shooter. It was reliable and never jammed. My only dislike about it is the front sight is mounted on the front barrel band like an 1873 instead of behind the barrel band where it belongs. IMO the Chiappa is a better choice. I don't know if all of the BrazTech Rossi's have a manual safety but most of them do and that for me is a hard pass. I hated to sell mine because I really liked it but it is what it is. Mine looked a lot like the one in your pic.

Thanks Hawg. Thanks for the picture too. When did Braztech begin making these. i just saw a Braztech Rossi 92 and the name Taurus was also stamped on it.
I just read this. What do you think of this write up??
https://www.shootersforum.com/threads/the-rossi-model-92s-history.110809/
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 11:41:46 AM by Zulch »

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2023, 12:32:49 PM »
Taurus owns BrazTech. That link told me more than I knew. I thought the only Puma marked guns were imported by LSI.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2023, 12:56:33 PM »
I have a "Puma" made by Chiappa.  Chambered in 44-40 it is smooth and accurate right out of the box.   As you can see the front sight is on the barrel behind the barrel band and there is no safety like the Rossi.   Mine has a color case hardened receiver and butt plate,  the fit and finish is very good.  Better than the Rossi in my opinion.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2023, 02:11:51 PM »
I have a "Puma" made by Chiappa.  Chambered in 44-40 it is smooth and accurate right out of the box.   As you can see the front sight is on the barrel behind the barrel band and there is no safety like the Rossi.   Mine has a color case hardened receiver and butt plate,  the fit and finish is very good.  Better than the Rossi in my opinion.

That is a lot nicer than mine was fo sho.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2023, 02:54:43 PM »
That is a lot nicer than mine was fo sho.

It hasn't been used much.   I just looked it over and discovered it is not marked "Puma" anywhere on the rifle.   It has "Chiappa" stamped on it a couple times along with Italian proof marks.    The only thing that says "Puma" is the original box.   

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2023, 02:59:19 PM »
Sell it to Zulch. (7+"

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2023, 03:37:05 PM »

Man that’s a beauty Mike!! I looked at their prices. It seems you get what you pay for👍👍 thank you for posting the picture. I would love to own one of those for sure.

Offline AZ6Gun

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2023, 01:04:06 AM »
Thank you Hawg. What is the best manufacture year in your opinion if I were to look for one?

For the current made Rossi's, never made better than todays crop. Smoother and a little lighter in the action. A whole lot nicer wood, also.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2023, 01:48:39 AM »
Hello Zulch,

Mine is a Rossi Puma, and I really didn't like it when I first purchased it.
I thought the Puma Medallion looked cheap, but I did get used to it.
It's a sweet little carbine, very smooth action.
Personally I always wondered why J. Browning didn't just use a medium length in this action for the 30-30 Win.
The 1892 is basically a shortened version of the 1886 action.
Here's a couple shots showing the markings. I do not remember what year I purchased it, but it was new.
The early 92's did not have the safety on the breach block.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2023, 03:52:54 AM »
Personally I always wondered why J. Browning didn't just use a medium length in this action for the 30-30 Win.

The 94 is an improvement over the 92. The 92 is shorter and smaller and an improvement over the 86 action wise. 

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2023, 05:25:33 AM »
Hello Zulch,

Mine is a Rossi Puma, and I really didn't like it when I first purchased it.
I thought the Puma Medallion looked cheap, but I did get used to it.
It's a sweet little carbine, very smooth action.
Here's a couple shots showing the markings. I do not remember what year I purchased it, but it was new.
The early 92's did not have the safety on the breach block.

AntiqueSledMan.
      Thanks ASM!! You have one of the early ones it appears. I've read the pros and cons in different internet articles regarding the manufacturers and dates of the Rossi 92/Puma. It's good to hear that you have an Interarms/Alexandria VA version and say the action is smooth. If and when I purchase one I would like to get that vintage. Hawg had mentioned the newer ones (Braztech/Taurus) having the safety. I've also read that some folks say the older ones were not as slick as the newer ones. Anyway, I would like to get the Interarms version if I can find one. This is kind of fun just researching and hearing feedback from owners of these guns. I think patience and doing research is better for me so I will at least know what I am buying when the time comes. It's hard to not just jump when I see a Rossi 92 for sale. I appreciate your input. Thanks, Z