Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: .22 LR SA Ruger Bearcat  (Read 2016 times)

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
.22 LR SA Ruger Bearcat
« on: April 11, 2023, 08:46:28 AM »
Howdy everyone, I have this revolver which once belonged to my Dad, now deceased. I have been trying to locate the manufacture date. Ruger has a site for S/N lookup but it doesn't seem to know what to do with my entry? I did find a Ruger Information graphic chart with serial numbers. I think it is safe to say, based on it's serial number 61740, that this falls somewhere in the 1st run stage meaning from 1958 up until 1974 at which point they stopped manufacturing them and not the most recent 1993 and forward guns. The 1993-2023 guns have serial numbers beginning with 93_XXXXX.  If anyone has any ideas as to where I can get some good information on Ruger serial numbers/manufacture dates that would be great. It's a nice little shooter. Fun and cheap to shoot for sure. If you've ever owned one of these I would like to hear your stories.  :usa-flag-89:

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: .22 LR SA Ruger Bearcat
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 09:24:58 AM »
Looks like 1973. You've been holding out. :no_no:
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 09:29:45 AM »
Thank you Hawg!! 😬

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 10:58:19 AM »
That's pretty cool, Z. It's great to have heirlooms like that. You're most fortunate.

I have heard that the Remington design was Bill Ruger's favorite but he chose the Colt design for his Blackhawk because it was more recognizable to the general public. The Bearcat is much like the Remington NMA in design. Right down to the grip shape. They're a spectacular little pistol.

Never had one. Always wanted one. Maybe one of these days...

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 11:08:58 AM »
I looked at one at a gun show once. The price was below right but it was just smaller than what I wanted at the time so I passed on it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 11:15:25 AM »
That's pretty cool, Z. It's great to have heirlooms like that. You're most fortunate.

I have heard that the Remington design was Bill Ruger's favorite but he chose the Colt design for his Blackhawk because it was more recognizable to the general public. The Bearcat is much like the Remington NMA in design. Right down to the grip shape. They're a spectacular little pistol.

Marshal, Hey thanks man. I had never considered it's similarity with the Ruger NMA. I've never owned an NMA but I have seen pictures and now I see what you mean.  :cowboypistol:

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2023, 11:16:14 AM »

Indeed! Withholding information is no bueno.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2023, 11:16:36 AM »
I looked at one at a gun show once. The price was below right but it was just smaller than what I wanted at the time so I passed on it.
It is indeed a small lil pistola Hawg.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2023, 11:17:46 AM »

Indeed! Withholding information is no bueno.

Affirmative Capt. Kirk, you are correct. I will be on KP duty for the rest of the week.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 11:57:14 AM by Zulch »

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2023, 11:40:46 AM »

Marshal, Hey thanks man. I had never considered it's similarity with the Ruger NMA. I've never owned an NMA but I have seen pictures and now I see what you mean.  :cowboypistol:
Replace the ejector with a loading lever that has the sail under it and bing! You have one.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2023, 12:31:36 PM »

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis? You had that fancy NMA you never shot and sold, remember?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2023, 07:57:59 AM »
oops..... (7+" L@J

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2023, 08:15:27 AM »
Stepped in that one. (7+"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2023, 08:35:25 AM »
I had a beautiful little Bearcat, once upon a time. I carried it when I went hunting. I love that thing. Wish I still had it.

You have a great little pistol there Tim. Made even better because it was your Dad's.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2023, 08:57:47 AM »
I had a beautiful little Bearcat, once upon a time. I carried it when I went hunting. I love that thing. Wish I still had it.

You have a great little pistol there Tim. Made even better because it was your Dad's.
Thanks Dave. It is a nice small revolver.