Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What's happenin'?  (Read 2776 times)

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
What's happenin'?
« on: May 05, 2023, 11:35:56 AM »
Way too slow in here! What's going on with everyone?
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Re: What's happenin'?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2023, 12:05:40 PM »
That's a good question. Maybe people are preoccupied with other things. I've been dealing with a water main leak, driveway maintenance and getting a new underground internet line run to the house, my sister going into and out of the hospital to mention a few. My leather working and range time have taken a back seat for a couple weeks. There is an end in sight, though.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2023, 12:23:26 PM »
I've been trying to get my shed cleaned out and turned into a workshop. My God I have never seen so many dirt dauber nests in my life. :gaah:
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2023, 12:31:38 PM »
Way too slow in here! What's going on with everyone?
You're right.
Could be age creeping up behind us. Looong time since anyone under fifty chimed in. And we lost some of the more active guys, who rode out into the sunset. You know who. Personally, I miss their tinkering with old/antique iron ware.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 03:44:12 AM by Len »

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2023, 01:08:26 PM »
As for me, my infatuation primarilly lies with the old stuff, but there's not much of that here.

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2023, 01:17:02 PM »
A few years back I had heart surgery and almost cashed in. Recovery was long and slow and I felt I was deteriorating and would possibly not recover and enjoy Cowboy / black powder shooting to the level previous. A last ditch effort found me 50 pounds lighter and embarking on an exercise/healthy eating program. I only mention this because it gave me a second wind as I haven't felt this good for 25+years. It caused me to embark on learning and developing skills within our hobby. I just finished my second set of holsters(no previous leather experience) along with a belt and shotgun slides. Been watching "TucoTheRatt" youtube videos and started working on my SAA drawing techniques. Again point is not to get complacent as there is plenty to learn. Hope this doesn't sound like a lecture but it is exciting for me to be able to pack a pair of Walkers & Dragoons if I choose at a Cowboy Shoot at 70 years old due to my recent health decisions.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 01:30:53 PM by Navy Six »
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2023, 02:33:14 PM »
That's awesome Navy......a new lease on life and all the god things it brings.

It seems most are using motherzuckers format to talk about this fine hobby. Why anyone would want to use a format where you can't even use the word "gun" is way beyond me. But that's where it all seems to be happening.

I talk black powder to many that come in the shop.....and sell quite a few. So there are younger people getting involved.

"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2023, 09:42:31 AM »
I check in multiple times a day, and see very little activity. Probably just everyone is busy with life. I haven't been messing with my guns much, as our local shooting area always seems to be closed for one lame reason or another. It will come back though. It always does.

I've come to realize that CC is kind of like a local club. It's a place where a few good friends meet and talk about whatever is happening in their life. I like it this way. It's our own little semi-private club. If someone new comes along, that shares our passion, we happily take them in and welcome them to the fold. Until then, we just enjoy each other's company.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2023, 10:04:29 AM »
I've come to realize that CC is kind of like a local club. It's a place where a few good friends meet and talk about whatever is happening in their life. I like it this way. It's our own little semi-private club. If someone new comes along, that shares our passion, we happily take them in and welcome them to the fold. Until then, we just enjoy each other's company.

That's one of the reasons I like my Cowboy club so much. There are a lot of like minded individuals who enjoy the historical aspect and it's nice to gather with these people to shoot and usually a big lunch afterward. Hard to replace that friendly atmosphere in today's society.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2023, 10:59:35 AM »
I'm in and out multiple times a day, just not much going on. The grass in the hayfield is too high to do any shooting and the cows haven't been very cooperative. I could make a portable paper target frame for the hayfield but I'd rather not shoot than I had to shoot paper.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2023, 12:46:15 PM »
+1 on shooting paper targets (maybe that’s -1).  Very un~cathartic.  I think most of us here prefer the sense of having hit something, when we do.  Good for a new or unfamiliar gun to see what it does or training day although most CC guys here are past that.

For tall grass or brush planting a piece of rebar with a coffee can hat works good.  Still need a backstop or downward angle though.

… hey, they got their self’s a new King, official style - fuss, feathers an airythang.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 12:55:57 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2023, 01:32:56 PM »
Do they still make metal coffee cans? :icon_scratch: No matter they make metal bean and soup cans. Now where am I gonna find a few pieces of rebar? :icon_scratch: Shooting level especially with bp wont be a problem. Nothing will make it to the woods on the other side of the hayfield shooting level.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2023, 06:53:30 PM »
I'm here every day, fellers. Busy with work and getting going on the yard now, as things are "springin' up" but that doesn't stop me from playing guns, reloading, and making range plans for the summer shooting season.
As for the new "kang"...pfft. He ain't a wart on his late mother's behind, IMHO. Never was.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2023, 05:02:03 AM »
Not sure where I fit in this crowd anymore. I still work for a living. Still trying to shape up the new place after our move two years ago.  Just found a new revolver I forgot I had, Uberti 1860.  Nice surprise!

I check in when I can.

Kevin
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 06:40:02 AM by StrawHat »
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2023, 08:50:40 AM »
You have an interest in the forum and that alone makes you fit in. Glad to see you posting.

If you have a photo of your 1860, post it for us to drool over.