Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Watching out for newbies  (Read 1524 times)

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
Watching out for newbies
« on: July 20, 2023, 08:43:18 AM »
About a week ago I visited a local Cabelas store over in Allen.  As usual I drifted over to the Blackpowder muzzleloader Display.  A young couple was looking at the stuff o supply a cap and ball revolvers he had purchased. 
Also a employee was attempting to assist them.  They asked me if I knew anything about BP revolvers as this was his first. Well yes I replied to them.  He claimed to have read articles about his revolver.   ?????
   It seems the salesman was helping them gather supplies.  He pulled off the shelf a container of H38 “ pistol” powder and a box of Hornady 180 gr jacketed 44 bullets.  To be used in his new brassie 44 Colt. 
     I interrupted this exchange of “information “.   Just because the container s labeled pistol doesn’t make it suitable for his revolver. But in fact is very dangerous.  It was a very eye opening experience.  He left with a Traditions cap and ball lol pack. 
      The sales person also received a gentile lecture about Blackpowder  safety.
       I. Should have given the new. BP shooter my phone number.
🙁🙁🙁🥵🥵🥵

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Watching out for newbies
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2023, 10:05:05 AM »
Wow! you did the guy a big favor. Way to go Rick!! :cowboypistol:

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 10:13:07 AM »
Good job there, Rick!
I suppose you also invited him to this forum.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 12:08:06 PM »
Good job, DR.  Well done. That was a timely intervention. A phone call to the manager of that department would not be remiss.  Someone could get hurt following that counter-jumper’s advice. It may also save the store a few million in a personal injury claim. 

Let me guess:  The customer bought a damn brass frame fourty-four?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 12:14:15 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 12:59:15 PM »
  Yes, G Dog, but not from that store. Don’t know where he got it.  Didn’t want to butt in to much. But I did want to save his life.
    Proper supplies are lots cheaper than a brief hospital stay, or an undertakers bill 🥵🥵🥵🥵
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 01:05:35 PM by DragoonRick »

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2023, 01:36:24 PM »
 A couple of years ago I was in a sporting goods store in Medford, OR looking for black or any substitute.  They didn’t have any.  A young clerk was the only one on duty and he suggested some smokeless.  I said no, that won’t do.  He then said “why not - powder’s powder”.  Later I talked to the owner about that exchange and he seemed very glad that I did.  Old story - but some people get other people hurt.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2023, 05:10:59 PM »
Glad you did what you did, DragoonRick. Always hard to know how much to say in a case like this but it was good you happen to be there and helped.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2023, 05:29:00 PM »
My older neighbor asked me about percussion revolvers as he wants to buy one. He wants to buy a Walker for his first one despite me telling him that wasn't the best option for a first time black powder shooter. He then proceeded to tell me he already had power, smokeless powder! I told him about the danger and about black powder only, he had no idea. I invited him to come shoot my Walker before he actually buys one, where I can show him the ropes and share gun safety information. I'll let him shoot one of my Remington's too to see what he thinks.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2023, 08:22:26 PM »
Wow...idiots are alive and well in America!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2023, 09:36:10 PM »
Wow...idiots are alive and well in America!
The supply exceeds the demand.