Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Modern Colt joins the remuda.  (Read 2379 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Modern Colt joins the remuda.
« on: August 04, 2023, 07:29:49 PM »
I bought a new Uberti  Cattleman SAA,  as you can see it's a 3 1/2 inch barrel chambered in 45 Colt.   It's one of the new ones with the hidden retractable firing pin.   Yes, I have read both the complaints and complements concerning the new fangled system and decided to go ahead.   I'll try it since it can safely carry six but if the retractable firing pin is any trouble I understand a standard Cattleman hammer can be installed instead.
A few weeks ago my truck was broken into and the bastards stole the 1911 Commander I kept hidden under the console,  This is going to be it's replacement.   
I haven't fired it yet  but I took it apart and cleaned the mill grit and gravel out and lubed it up and reassembled it.   Now it runs smooth and doesn't seem to need any more attention. The coil hand spring gives it a nice feel but the spring seems kinda small.    We'll see after I get a chance to shoot it.   

« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 05:56:32 AM by mike116 »

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Colt joins the remuda.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2023, 10:34:05 PM »
That's mighty nice looking. Congrats.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023, 05:50:19 AM »
Dang Mike. I sure am sorry to hear about the break in man. I despise thieves. I could say a lot more about thieves but I can't use that kind of language here. On another note, That is indeed a nice looking gun though. I like the birds head grip too. Can't wait to hear how she shoots.

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2023, 12:52:15 PM »
Yeah, sorry to hear about the theft of your Commander. Like Zulch said, I consider thiefs to be low-lifes and don't deserve the title of a "man".
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2023, 02:30:10 PM »
That is one nice looking pistola! First time I've seen a photo of one.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2023, 06:49:17 PM »
Thanks fpr the replies.   I like longer barrels but this will be OK for the truck.   I'm getting discouraged with the entire state I live in.  Cheating lieing, and stealing seem to be supported the government.   Law enforcement  does nothing because they have no support.   I never felt the need to carry a gun in my vehicle until the Pandemic started.    I thought it would improve bit it's getting worse.   Damned liberals run the whole state.    I'd love to find a better place but all 10 grandkids live here.     

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2023, 07:47:13 PM »
First; LOVE the pistola. Makes for one helluva 'truck gun' IMHO
Secondly; sorry for the loss of your commander to scum like that...and sorry for the sorry state of your 'sorry State'...but it's happening in EVERY state, unfortunately. Don't get me started on that...
Anyway, congrats on a VERY suitable and capable replacement for your beloved Commander.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2023, 08:33:13 PM »
I should have listened to our old friend DD4lifeUSMC when he was alive.    He'd say "We don't put up that shit in Wyoming"  I should have moved up there back when things were more affordable.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2023, 01:02:07 AM »
Have never been a fan of the bird’s head grip esthetics although an exception could be made in this case.  For slipping  in and out of pockets they make a lot of sense.  As to it replacing the Combat Commander,  it may be that only another Commander could really do that.  I’ve been steadily CC’ing one since the tender age of twenty-three and if it were lost I’d just have to get another one.  Tried German and Swiss SIG Sauers, but they weren’t a Colt.  No substitutes available. 

Recently visited SF again.  It’s a third-world hell hole now.  The cops there are helpless.  Criminals rule the streets.  Reminded me one more time of why we pac.

Anyways, sorry about your loss, nice new gun though.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2023, 07:13:06 AM »
Nice looking gun. A hand spring doesn't have to be very big. All it has to do is work the hand and too much spring there would increase hand wear.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2023, 10:29:28 AM »
Lovely piece there Mike! Should do the job just fine. The recent Cattlemen I've handled seemed to be very nice. I'm sure you'll love it.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2023, 11:53:06 AM »
I should have listened to our old friend DD4lifeUSMC when he was alive.    He'd say "We don't put up that shit in Wyoming"  I should have moved up there back when things were more affordable.
Yeah, Steve was one of a kind. Reminds me of a scene out of Lonesome Dove, Tommy Lee Jones "I won't tolerate it".
Sorry to hear about your 1911. In the future, remember that every car is emptied, either by the owner or by a thief.
Nice substitute that revolver!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2023, 01:04:07 PM »

I'm with you Mike. 19 years ago, I got accepted at WyoTech to be a teacher. We were in the midst of buying a home there and relocating. Then we found out my wife was pregnant with our first child. We decided to stay in Kommiefornia to be close to my father in law who was ill. My wife wanted him to have all the time he could with his first granddaughter. He only lived another 18 months. WyoTech gave the job to someone else, and I've been stuck here ever since. Hindsight is 20/20.

And by the way, that pistol is a real beauty! And may the thieves who stole your Commander rot in hell where they belong.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2023, 12:45:06 AM »
I bought a new Uberti  Cattleman SAA,  as you can see it's a 3 1/2 inch barrel chambered in 45 Colt.   It's one of the new ones with the hidden retractable firing pin.   Yes, I have read both the complaints and complements concerning the new fangled system and decided to go ahead.   I'll try it since it can safely carry six but if the retractable firing pin is any trouble I understand a standard Cattleman hammer can be installed instead.
A few weeks ago my truck was broken into and the bastards stole the 1911 Commander I kept hidden under the console,  This is going to be it's replacement.   
I haven't fired it yet  but I took it apart and cleaned the mill grit and gravel out and lubed it up and reassembled it.   Now it runs smooth and doesn't seem to need any more attention. The coil hand spring gives it a nice feel but the spring seems kinda small.    We'll see after I get a chance to shoot it.   

I've lusted after that on the interwebs for awhile, and it's friend in Stainless....
1911, eh? I KNEW we were Spirit Animals with each other... lol
 (only two slabsides I like, was one, until I acquired my CZ52)
Sorry to hear of the theft, I hate thieves.

Idaho is nice, flights are cheap.... 3degrees of seaparation from the GrandKids, and we're slightly more red, though not due anything Governor (chicken)Little has done. ( He makes the most extreme RINO look truly conservative...)