Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Mike talks the Walker  (Read 1062 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Mike talks the Walker
« on: August 31, 2023, 07:25:23 AM »
Hi, Mike has a new video talking the Walker:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Mike talks the Walker
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2023, 06:55:28 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Richard!
Interesting 'facts', but one wonders where Mike gets his information (other than the one book mentioned), and where THAT author got HIS information, which basically disputes the majority of all the other info sources out there? Also, while I truly enjoy and appreciate the work and effort Mike puts into his videos, he really needs to work on his 'bedside manner', as it was all I could do to keep from nodding off.
Also, I'm sure he is aware that any good BP smith can rework the loading lever spring and catch to stop the lever from dropping at every shot; at least temporarily for the video! It cast a dubious shadow on the capability and function of the Walker in the video, anyway...at least from a uneducated or newcomer's view. My Goon-worked ASM Walker certainly functioned better than his, and I didn't have any misfires, either. No short arbor, either...
Other than that, interesting topic and video. Thanks again for putting it up, Richard!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 07:52:21 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Richard!
Interesting 'facts', but one wonders where Mike gets his information (other than the one book mentioned), and where THAT author got HIS information, which basically disputes the majority of all the other info sources out there? Also, while I truly enjoy and appreciate the work and effort Mike puts into his videos, he really needs to work on his 'bedside manner', as it was all I could do to keep from nodding off.
Also, I'm sure he is aware that any good BP smith can rework the loading lever spring and catch to stop the lever from dropping at every shot; at least temporarily for the video! It cast a dubious shadow on the capability and function of the Walker in the video, anyway...at least from a uneducated or newcomer's view. My Goon-worked ASM Walker certainly functioned better than his, and I didn't have any misfires, either. No short arbor, either...
Other than that, interesting topic and video. Thanks again for putting it up, Richard!

I tried to watch it but I fell asleep on it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2023, 07:00:51 PM »
I'm sorry but Mike doesn't have a clue about the function of the flask.
 The flask I have works /worked perfectly when I used it back in the '80's, and you didn't need to remove the barrel assy to use it!! You did need to have the nozzle  "next to" the barrel instead of the "away " or off side next to the barrel!! Holy cow!! Next, my conicals fit just fine with plenty of room and they are .455". The last and most important feature of the flask is its adjustability!!! The plunger he mentions/shows in the video ISN'T  the adjuster mechanism.  There's a screw on the side of the collar of the spout.  Unscrewing the plunger allows the "telescopic" adjusting  section to be pulled out and a shallow hole accepts the screw to lock it in position. I believe the increments are 60gr. max with 20gr. increments down to 20gr min.
   That alone makes me wonder how accurate the "truth" is and where it came from .  .  . 
It would have been more believable if he hadn't tried to demonstrate the flask !!!  (7+"

Mike
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 11:06:50 AM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2023, 07:37:30 PM »
Yeah, saw that Alley Oop with the flask. Kinda like, "D'oh!"
Couldn't say about the adjuster but your version makes way more sense. I can't see going to all the trouble of making that special flask and have it trickle out 20gr...lol
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2023, 11:07:37 AM »
Yeah, saw that Alley Oop with the flask. Kinda like, "D'oh!"
Couldn't say about the adjuster but your version makes way more sense. I can't see going to all the trouble of making that special flask and have it trickle out 20gr...lol

Exactly!!!