Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: A few of the sharp objects I own  (Read 9164 times)

Offline treadhead1952

• View Profile
A few of the sharp objects I own
« on: February 08, 2014, 05:16:59 AM »
Hi All,

Being of unsound mind, I started collecting edged weapons a long while back.  I have a couple of 1860 Light Cavalry Sabers, both are replicas, but they do look the part.  I originally got one when I had the urge to go out on Halloween as a Cavalry Trooper.  After getting it and hanging it up on the wall after the event, it looked sort of strange hanging by itself so I scored a second one to make the crossed pair.

A few Halloweens later, at the request of a lady friend who had discovered an old fancy ball gown and what seemed to be thirty or forty slips to go under it, (I swear that there was lady under there somewhere, but it took a lot of work to find out!) I decided that she needed a Confederate Cavalry Officer to accompany her.  That led to the purchase of this 1858 Light Cavalry Saber.  Since one looked sort of funky on the wall, a second earlier version was purchased.

I think my favorite knife that I have has to be my Arkansas Toothpick.  It is, to say the least, flat out humongous!  At over 18 inches from pommel to tip and carrying 13 plus inches of blade, once it comes out it is just hard not to notice!

Of course, a man has to have a Bowie Knife or two, or three, or fourteen... )k*

And I really wanted to get something that looked like the old timey scimitar from Aladdin's Tales.

While I carry a Buck Lite in my pocket all the time, I think the one blade that I have that gets the most use day to day has to be actually the smallest one.  It even gets replaced quite a bit as they do wear out.

Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: A few of the sharp objects I own
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 08:46:28 AM »
Jay, awesome collection! Your "Arkansas toothpick" appears ( to me anyway) to be a plug bayonet. Were they also called that?

Offline treadhead1952

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 12:12:22 PM »
Hi MK,

As far as I know it is called an Arkansas Toothpick because of the double edged point to hilt design, width of blade and overall size.  BudK calls it that and from what I have seen in the past in articles and even in Jimmy Lisle's shop down in Russelville, Arkansas, it is that.  I can understand why you might think it could be a Plug Bayonet with the particular handle style that mine sports, but from what I have learned it is just what it is.

http://www.budk.com/product/Arkansas-Toothpick-Knife-&-Sheath/156797.uts?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Arkansas+Toothpick&client=firefox-a&hs=4sF&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Q4_2Upe-NcjQyAGhgIGwAQ&ved=0CDIQsAQ&biw=1360&bih=678
Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 02:19:24 PM »
Jay, awesome collection! Your "Arkansas toothpick" appears ( to me anyway) to be a plug bayonet. Were they also called that?

Plug bayonets have the "plug" close to the guard. Usually with a sharply tapered hilt.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 03:09:23 PM »
Great collection! I've been trying to justify buying a 1860 repo US Navy CPO Cutlass.

Offline treadhead1952

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 08:52:56 PM »
Hawg, thanks for that added bit of information regarding the plug bayonets. I made up some different sheaths for some of my knives, they all come with one sheath but sometimes the style is not what I want.  I have one that matches my gun belt and holster for my 1858 Remington Sheriff's model for my Toothpick.

Tom, uh, if it helps you tell SWMBO that treadhead has several swords, so I should be able to get me a 1860 US Navy Cutlass in the interests of parity,  uh, yeah, that's the ticket. ;)
Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 09:30:46 PM »
Nice shavers there, Tread!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 07:00:48 AM »
Here's a pretty good example of a plain plug bayonet. Some got pretty fancy.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline treadhead1952

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 11:42:27 AM »
Back in the day of single shot military weapons and limited supply of powder and ball, a plug bayonet was a fast way to turn that long stick into a handy pike when the enemy got too close.

Thanks for digging up an example, Hawg.

In addition to the Bowies and big knives I also have a few examples of medieval daggers as well as WWII German stickers, but those don't necessarily fall within the lines of this board.
Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 12:10:05 PM »
I used to have some original CW sabers, swords and bayonets. I still have a few bayonets. Had a lot of WWII bayos when I was a kid. They were cheap back then. I bought nine or ten at a time for 20 bucks from a mail order house called P&S Sales.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 06:12:35 PM »
OK, I give Hawg credit for knowing his sharp pointy things too! Guess I didn't look close enough at the "toothpick".
Here are two of my plug bayonets, l should have looked at them first before I opened my mouth! L@J

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 08:09:39 PM »
Yup....that Hawg will make you look awful stupid if you let him. Give him enough rope and he'll hang ya with it! ;)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline treadhead1952

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 07:13:24 AM »
Hi Guys,

Those are two nice looking "Plug Bayonets" there mazo kid.  The only bayonets I have are the ones that came with various rifle purchases with my C&R FFL.  They are usually old and tired and not worth showing, either that or semi permanently attached to the weapon ala Eastern Block types, M44's SKS's and such.
Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 09:41:57 AM »
A plug bayonet goes in the barrel correct? What keeps it in the barrel after you stick something?

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 09:56:00 AM »
Tom, the "handle" is tapered so I would say it just wedges in place.