Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Remington  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Remington
« on: February 05, 2024, 01:18:07 PM »
Saw this behind a glass case display at an Army base. It appears to be an original but I'll leave that to the more educated fellers here on CC. Just wanted to share the picture. Enjoy.

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
Re: Remington
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 01:40:22 PM »
No expert here but I like the picture. Thanks for posting Zulch!
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 12:47:29 PM »
No expert here but I like the picture. Thanks for posting Zulch!
Thank you for looking and commenting Navy Six. I guess you and I are the only folks that appreciate it. LOL

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 01:11:27 PM »
It's hard to comment on a pic devoid of details or markings. It "looks" original if that means anything. Also something is amiss as the chambers don't line up with the forcing cone.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2024, 01:13:58 PM »
Hey Hawg. Unfortunately, it was behind the glass. I think it said it had been rendered non functional. I suppose in case someone wanted to steal it? I dunno.  :icon_scratch:
I Appreciate your input though.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2024, 05:02:28 PM »
Tim, that cylinder looks a tad short. Could that be a Navy model?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2024, 06:09:05 PM »
Yap, the cylinder definitely looks odd.

Mike

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2024, 06:11:20 PM »
You reckon Cap? Kind of sad the Army cobbled parts together thinking maybe no one would recognize?

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2024, 07:19:10 PM »
That cylinder does look a little short. For comparison, here are a couple of shots of original Remington's I took photos of at the Nevada Sate Historical Museum in Carson City, NV. One of them is nickel plated.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2024, 05:14:55 AM »
Bishop Creek. Thank you sir for your input and pictures. The "Remmy" that I posted is from the National Infantry Museum. One would think that the person who was responsible for putting this on display would have been more accurate? 

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2024, 07:05:31 AM »
Yes, you would think a museum would strive to be accurate, which is why the new Visitors Center in Gettysburg is such a disappointment to me. They replaced a lot of the original guns with obviously new reproductions. Then, going to their Bookstore, I searched in vain for any firearms related material. I still enjoy a visit to Gettysburg but now look forward to stopping in Dirty Billy's Hats downtown.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 07:21:25 AM by Navy Six »
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2024, 07:35:33 AM »
Navy Six, Just looked up Dirty Billy's Hats. Looks like a great store. I guess that you like to buy different period head gear? Wish there was something like this place in my neck of the woods.

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2024, 02:17:48 PM »
Zulch, walking into Dirty Billy's is like walking into a Civil War hat store. Even the employees are dressed in period attire. Since I've been involved in Cowboy Action Shooting for over 25 years, you start to accumulate a few hats. Even though the only Cowboy Clubs near me are SASS affiliated, my friend and I do our best to be period correct in all our equipment. Even my wife shoots only black powder when she comes. Might sound silly to some, but there a number of new, younger guys in one of my clubs and I figure, someone has to set an example.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2024, 05:49:03 PM »
There's also some whackadoodle gizmo on the frame between the loading lever plunger and the ball cutout. Wazzup with that? :icon_scratch:
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2024, 09:10:51 PM »
There's also some whackadoodle gizmo on the frame between the loading lever plunger and the ball cutout. Wazzup with that? :icon_scratch:

I think it's a hook holding the revolver to the wall. You can see the other one behind the trigger guard.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.