Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Can you afford this?  (Read 928 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Can you afford this?
« on: February 06, 2024, 06:01:08 AM »
I know I can't afford to spend over $3 per shot to shoot a '51 Navy.   
Check this out....https://colt1851navy.com/shop/ols/products/36-caliber-375-dia-paper-cartridge-conical-rounds-6-pack
This guy is advertising on FaceBook.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Can you afford this?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2024, 06:53:15 AM »
I wonder how many people will be foolish enough to buy them.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2024, 08:26:56 AM »
Makes me feel pretty smart(sort of)that I spent the last two weeks constructing the paper tubes for .36 and .44. Not quite done yet until I have a nice big pile for both. Loading the powder later is the easy part as I don't personally load any projectile as I don't know which round ball or conical I'll be using that day. Also, so many of the reproduction pistols won't take an entire paper cartridge length without modification. I mostly use the paper cartridges at Cowboy Shoots as they make the loading process quicker and easier. But geez Mike, I couldn't believe the price either.
Hawg, you ask who would buy them? Muzzleloader magazine had articles recently where the author purchased paper cartridges in both 36 and 44 to test in percussion pistols. Said he was going to buy more. I don't understand this as the gentleman is a very experienced black powder shooter and recognized author and I'm sure he would know how to make these things.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2024, 08:41:28 AM »
Hawg, you ask who would buy them? Muzzleloader magazine had articles recently where the author purchased paper cartridges in both 36 and 44 to test in percussion pistols.

Probably for convenience but I doubt he paid that kind of money for them. Especially when loaded with T7.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Shootemup

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2024, 12:09:16 PM »
Dang those are pricey and they don't look well made either casting flaw in the one and the base caps are not even the same length.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2024, 03:03:29 PM »
I don't think this guy has thought this through very well.   He is trying to sell round balls and conicals too, I don't know what the price of lead is right now so I didn't bother to calculate the price of each projectile.   I did notice that he says he is shipping the cartridges via USPS priority mail.  It's illegal to ship haz-mat via US mail so I hope he doesn't get into trouble.   

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2024, 03:35:14 PM »
...It's illegal to ship haz-mat via US mail so I hope he doesn't get into trouble.

You got that right, Mike. HUGE fines for shipping hazmat
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"