Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Spring?  (Read 1415 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Spring?
« on: March 06, 2024, 06:13:46 PM »
A beautiful Rocky Mountain morning made me want to go shoot a few rounds today.    I took off about 11:00am after throwing my shooting bag and 3 revolvers in the truck.    It's still early for Spring to begin around here but it sure felt like Spring today.   

I shot my Dragoon first, always fun and reliable.  Then I moved on to an 1851 Navy that I bought from a member here.  I hadn't fired it before so it was new to me.   What a pain in the ass neck.   The nipples are some odd size...  I tried every size made and none fit.  They all fell off no matter what.  I couldn't make them stay put even by pinching them.    Every shot the fired cap and 2 or 3 unfired caps fell off.   The cylinder jammed nearly every time I pulled the trigger.    It was a lot of work to get 3 cylinders fired through it.   New nipples will be installed when cleaning it tonight.

The third gun I took along today was the Colt SAA  made by Hammerli.   This thing is a dream to shoot.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Spring?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 07:56:51 PM »
What a great way to start the day! Are you gonna try aftermarket nipples on the Navy? I sure would.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 08:23:31 PM »
What a great way to start the day! Are you gonna try aftermarket nipples on the Navy? I sure would.

I think I already have a spare set here somewhere.  Tresso I believe.  I'll have to search tomorrow.   I just finished cleaning all the guns and removed the nipples from the '51.  The cones are almost straight,   not cone shaped at all.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 09:04:01 PM »
That's not a navy. It's a Leech & Rigdon with a navy cylinder. I'm guessing it was made in the early 70's. There were some of those made during the time period. If #10 caps fall off then the nipples are made for #9 caps. I haven't seen any of those since about 74 or 75. You can pinch fit #10's or even #11's.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2024, 03:42:26 AM »
Thanks for the report, Mike.
Very nice pictures.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2024, 05:53:07 AM »
That's not a navy. It's a Leech & Rigdon with a navy cylinder. I'm guessing it was made in the early 70's. There were some of those made during the time period. If #10 caps fall off then the nipples are made for #9 caps. I haven't seen any of those since about 74 or 75. You can pinch fit #10's or even #11's.

Hawg,   the 2nd pic is the '51 Navy.  It has an octagon barrel and the proper cylinder for a '51'  Date code of AZ so made in 1990.     The first pic is a 2nd model Dragoon.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 06:17:35 AM by mike116 »

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2024, 07:51:26 AM »
Well D'OH.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2024, 08:03:09 AM »
Hey Mike. Looks like a good day except for the Navy cones? Noticed that neat capper in the Dragoon picture. Do you load cylinders on the bench sometimes or? Glad you took time to go shoot.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2024, 08:39:51 AM »
Tim,   I only load on the gun unless there is no other way.   I have .36 & .44 cylinder loading stands but I don't use them much.   The orange star capper in the pic is 3D printed by Polish Cappers.  It works well,  he sent it to me when I ordered a new screw for one of my Polish cappers.   I lost the knurled screw that holds the lid shut.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2024, 08:46:02 AM »
It still sounds like #9 nipples but I don't understand why it would have #9's since #9 caps haven't been made since the 70's.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2024, 12:08:51 PM »
Who knows....  it was a used gun.  Sold at least twice.   Appeared unmolested when I got it but there was no box or anything.   I found a spare set of Stainless Steel nipples so I installed them this morning.  #11 Remington caps fit just right.    I'll try it out next week.
I tried every cap size and brand I have, six different ones and all of them fall off.  The cones are just too small.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2024, 08:52:07 PM »
Took the '51 Navy with new nipples out today.   Loaded each chamber and capped every nipple with a #11 cap.   Pulled the trigger and nothing happened.   Nothing, Zilch, Nada, on all six chambers.    Went around again and still not a single cap fired.   Hammer doesn't reach the new nipples.   Now I have a loaded cylinder.  It will wait while I order some nipples from Tresso.   I should have done that in the first place.

Meanwhile I shot a few rounds through the '61 Navy and my 1860 Henry rifle.   The Henry in 44-40 is fun to shoot but you have to remember to do the "Henry Shuffle".   I forgot and when the follower banged my hand it made me flinch.

Online Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2024, 09:21:25 PM »
Too bad the new nipples didn't work as planned on your '51. What kind were they?

That '61 is a beautiful one. The Henry is no slouch, either. Glad to hear it was a good day. Yeah, those followers will getcha.

Here's an interesting solution to that for those who like to make doo-dads.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2024, 05:59:23 AM »
Mike. Sorry to hear that. I was under the impression that all cones would be the same length(??) across the board but apparently not?  :icon_scratch: The revolver is very nice and the fluted cylinder looks great on it.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2024, 07:04:49 AM »
The replacement nipples I installed were some I ordered from DD4lifeUSMC several years ago.   Capt. Kirk, Hawg, Len and a few others here remember him.   He was a seller of BP supplies and a friend of mine.   The nipples were from Butler Creek Muzzle Loading. The package  description said 6 x.75 Stainless Steel Nipple.    They should have worked but nothing is ever guaranteed.

Marshal,    I have seen people put a wood dowel in the magazine tube to keep the follower away from your hand.   First time I've heard of someone going to the trouble of machining an aluminum follower.