Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What did you do today  (Read 344570 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #930 on: April 16, 2020, 10:45:37 AM »
Fun times indeed! We grew up in a great time.

Cheap gas, too.  We were the most mobile generation in the history of the world.  We got around.  High times.

I grew up in the LA area and it was snow ski on Saturday and surf on Sunday.  A thirty minute drive would put you where you could legally shoot yer guns any time you wanted.  I wouldn't  go anywhere near that third-world shit hole now but it sure was fun while it lasted.

I had a pretty cool Lionell set up as a little kid but my electric train days are long behind me.

Yup G Dog....I remember buying $1 worth of gas and driving around half the night. Cruisin' Main Street.

Now those were the days and the cars you put that dollars worth of gas in weren't cheesy little four cylinders either.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #931 on: April 16, 2020, 10:54:14 AM »
American Graffiti
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 12:26:00 PM by Len »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: April 16, 2020, 11:15:32 AM »
You guys are bringing back fond memories. Working on the car, getting it ready to cruise/race on Friday and Saturday night. $5 to fill it up and .75 cents for a pack of smokes. Kids nowadays don't even have a clue how good we had it.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #933 on: April 16, 2020, 11:46:29 AM »
Hey, the last gas we got here was $1.29 a gallon! Haven't seen that since the 70s (when we thought THAT was expensive).

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #934 on: April 17, 2020, 02:11:04 PM »
You guys are bringing back fond memories. Working on the car, getting it ready to cruise/race on Friday and Saturday night. $5 to fill it up and .75 cents for a pack of smokes. Kids nowadays don't even have a clue how good we had it.

....and a couple cases of the cheapest beer available in the back seat! We grew up in an amazing era that will never be repeated unfortunately. The Camino brings me back to those days.....I couldn't be happier with the way it's coming out. Trying to retain as much of the old school look as I can. I may have to look for an old under dash 8 track and some Iron Butterfly....:)
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #935 on: April 17, 2020, 03:37:54 PM »
Signed the closing paperwork on our home re-fi this morning. Now we have to get serious about replacing the Patriot with a pickup.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #936 on: April 17, 2020, 05:31:16 PM »

I've bought gas for 35 cents. I quit smoking for 15 years when they said they were going to go from 50 cents a pack to 75 cents. I was married by then. This was me and my first wife in 1977

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: April 17, 2020, 07:57:53 PM »

....and a couple cases of the cheapest beer available in the back seat! We grew up in an amazing era that will never be repeated unfortunately. The Camino brings me back to those days.....I couldn't be happier with the way it's coming out. Trying to retain as much of the old school look as I can. I may have to look for an old under dash 8 track and some Iron Butterfly....:)

Yessir!! We drank many a six-pack of Strohs!!

My first car, a 1970 VW Bug, had an 8-Track in it. It was a Craig with two 6x9's in the back well behind the seat. Good times!

Me, circa 1981
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 08:04:38 PM by ShotgunDave »
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #938 on: April 17, 2020, 09:05:25 PM »

I've bought gas for 35 cents. I quit smoking for 15 years when they said they were going to go from 50 cents a pack to 75 cents. I was married by then. This was me and my first wife in 1977

great pic! I've got a few somewhere with abut that same length of hair. Good times....from what I remember...

Not to date myself.....but I remember during one of the "gas wars" buying gas for 17 cents a gallon. That was full service, which was all there was.

-Mick

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #939 on: April 17, 2020, 09:06:44 PM »

My first car, a 1970 VW Bug, had an 8-Track in it. It was a Craig with two 6x9's in the back well behind the seat. Good times!

Me, circa 1981

Nice! A good friend had a 71. We put about a million miles on that thing.
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #940 on: April 18, 2020, 01:42:14 AM »

great pic! I've got a few somewhere with abut that same length of hair. Good times....from what I remember...

Not to date myself.....but I remember during one of the "gas wars" buying gas for 17 cents a gallon. That was full service, which was all there was.

I've still got the hair, never had it cut off. I built a mud buggy out of a 71 VW. Unfortunately I've never been big on taking pics and most of the ones I had were lost in a flood.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: April 18, 2020, 12:15:26 PM »

Me, circa 1981

Nice! A good friend had a 71. We put about a million miles on that thing.

Thank ya Sir. I was always a VW guy. I've owned close to 100 of them since that first one. I am currently without one though. I sold the last one about 6 years ago. It was a 64, and I drove it to work in Long Beach daily. That was a 150 mile round trip every day. I'm sure I'll have another one at some point.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 18, 2020, 04:51:54 PM »
We had a temp of 60* today and thought we would get outdoor stuff done. Nope, the wind was horrendous! Ten minutes was enough to convince us to wait for a more favorable day.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #943 on: May 02, 2020, 11:26:57 AM »
We did a tailgate breakfast this morning with the neighbors. We live on a cul-de-sac with little traffics, so we broke out the Camp Chef. Everyone set up their chairs in the street so they could keep the sacred distance and we cooked bacon and pancakes.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #944 on: May 02, 2020, 01:16:29 PM »
I had to go get a covid test for my procedure next week. That was not comfortable. here I thought they were going to swab the inside of my mouth but noooooo. She took a long handled swab and stuck it so far up my nose she tickled my brain only it didn't tickle at all. (jh