Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: New G&G Just arrived.  (Read 15460 times)

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
New G&G Just arrived.
« on: February 10, 2016, 05:40:44 AM »
Yep, couldn't hold out any longer. Look for it about mid next week. :)
 Slowly building my CSA inventory.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 05:23:23 PM by Hewy »
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline Ringo

• A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    • View Profile
    • répliques Old West
Re: New G&G coming
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 05:43:05 AM »
Is it brand new, or new to you ?
Uberti, Pietta, ASM, ASP, ..., ???
Curious minds want to know...

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 06:40:45 AM »
New.... ;D Pietta.
Hewy

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 10:12:41 AM »
Sweet! Way to go, Hewy! *?.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 01:32:18 PM »
All this G&G talk is making me think I might need one.   I have to resist the temptation though.   Spent some of my gun money on Valentines Day.   The rest is already marked for another purchase.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 01:55:28 PM »
I bought a new Pietta [CN] 2015 from Cabela's just after Christmas. Had my online eyes on it since October but it never went on sale. It does not have the "traditional" Pietta tail and the innards are not rough, contrary to some who have had that experience. I had to do a little fitting as the trigger had a slight amount of creep before hammer let-off, the wedge needed a bit of fitting (as the Pietta Gorilla is still alive and well: I believe Guido is on an assembly line with a plastic mallet, and the Pietta arbor-to-barrel fit is very acceptable, but both Piettas I have needed wedge fitting just to get the wedge spring to protrude on the right side of the barrel lug using finger pressure), but otherwise I am very pleased. I like swapping parts between it and my Pietta 1851 Navy to create those pistols and a Leech & Rigdon and a Schneider & Glassick.

Hope you new owners enjoy as much as I have.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 02:12:11 PM by sourdough »
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 03:28:35 PM »
the wedge needed a bit of fitting (as the Pietta Gorilla is still alive and well: I believe Guido is on an assembly line with a plastic mallet, and the Pietta arbor-to-barrel fit is very acceptable, but both Piettas I have needed wedge fitting just to get the wedge spring to protrude on the right side of the barrel lug using finger pressure),

I have yet to get a Pietta like that. I had to tap mine in and out a couple of times but after that it goes in and out with thumb pressure. Mine wasn't really rough inside but it did have a small ridge in the hand slot and there are file marks on the water table where they filed burrs down and the hole for the bolt had a few small burrs but nothing to keep it from working.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 04:08:01 PM »
Maybe it depends upon whether it was a Monday/Wednesday/Friday gun.

All I know is that a small few taps back and forth on the wedge was not going to expose the tip of the wedge spring on the right side of the barrel, and it was not going to allow finger pressure (on the wedge and wedge spring to allow it to move for disassembly). If this was a real revolver in the Civil War, no one would have a hammer to remove the wedge, except for improvised tools, which leads to the next subject, wherein I will go so far to state that a large number of original C&B Colt revolvers show much damage on both sides of the barrel lug from owners/soldiers NOT knowing how to properly disassemble the pistol, vis a vis the wedge/key regardless of the tactical situation at hand, and going so far as to try to remove the wedge screw in a vain attempt to remedy the situation. The wedge screw only serves as a stop for the wedge spring. The wedge was probably fitted so tight as to not allow the user to remove it with thumb/finger pressure, therefore all of the metal damage in the area of the wedge on both sides.

Not to say this is a fact on your gun, but it is a fact on many original pistols.

Jim

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 04:12:47 PM »
Not going to argue that point as you may very well be right.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 05:09:01 PM »
The vote of acceptance is nice to hear. I have several Remingtons that are serving me well, looking forward to the *G&G. It Will be a nice addition to  the  *Spiller & Burr. I did have a brass .44 the so called reb gun, it shot extremely well, even long distances up to 100yrds using a .451 ball. I did give that one to my adult grandson a year ago.
The little collection of CSA *guns is growing, now two ;D
Hewy

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 05:36:17 PM »
All this G&G talk is making me think I might need one.   I have to resist the temptation though.   Spent some of my gun money on Valentines Day.   The rest is already marked for another purchase.

Forgot to say.....  good for you Hewy.  It's  Always fun to get a new one.

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 06:17:19 PM »

Forgot to say.....  good for you Hewy.  It's  Always fun to get a new one.
Son, repeat after me, gun money is gun money. Now get your priorities staight. (@+ Need is WANT.
Hewy

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 06:39:26 PM »

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 07:49:39 PM »
After 32 years of marriage I've learned a thing or two.   Telling your wife you spent your gun money on a gift for her ultimately leads to even more money for guns and less resistance when you over spend your budget.    I assure you the gun purchase stash is virtually unaffected. 
I appreciate your concern.

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 08:54:35 PM »
Hewy