Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: The greatest Colt ever made  (Read 15798 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
The greatest Colt ever made
« on: June 15, 2016, 11:22:18 AM »
Hi, what is your opinion of the greatest Colt ever made?

My choice is the Colt Walker. It got Colt out of bankruptcy and it is probably the best Colt revolver ever produced, bar none. I love the toys of the 1849, 1851, and 1860's, but IMO the Walker is the revolver that means business. It lays like a benchrest and puts some serious effect on the target.

What is your choice?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline rodwha

• View Profile
Re: The greatest Colt ever made
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 12:03:12 PM »
I don't know if I'd call the Walker the greatest, but it is quite significant as you eluded to, and a reason I need one. If it weren't for the Walker we likely wouldn't know a Colt.

As to the greatest I'd guess it would be a Dragoon as it was a refined Walker. Certainly couldn't have the loading lever drop on you during a gun fight! And using a strip of rawhide seems a little tedious.

Offline Suntiger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 12:06:25 PM »
If you ranked it like the "Top 10" on American History Channel...it would have to be a 1911, length of service, fear factor etc...

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 01:10:34 PM »
The Walker opened the way to improvement and thus was born the Dragoons.
I appreciate the Walker tremendously but, just as Colt himself thought, the Dragoon is the quintessential open top (he the 3rd Mod., me the Whitneyville !  But now we're slpitin hairs!!!). Lol!!!

So, I'll go with the Dragoon (any Mod.)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 02:33:49 PM »
Oh, I must say I prefer the trigger guard of the first models. Seems the 2nd model would be my favorite as I assume theirs an improvement over the oval bolt stop.

Offline rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 02:35:42 PM »
Figuring we were talking about BP guns, but I'd agree that the 1911 is by far the greatest and my favorite. But there still wouldn't have been a 1911 without the Walker.

Offline Suntiger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 04:04:25 PM »
Well, I have been known to miss a point now and then... I am partial to the Navy.... But the Walker is the cornerstone...

Offline wicket

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 04:25:52 PM »
 For function and pure beauty the 1851 wins at a walk, it is iconic and represented the state of the art until the arrival of the peacemaker. Don't take my word for it, Samuel Colt in COLT, THE MAN AND HIS MACHINE by I. P. Freeley is quoted: "Wicket's right, damn boy's always right, the 1851 was the pinnacle of my art."

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 06:00:04 PM »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 06:28:54 PM »
But there still wouldn't have been a 1911 without the Walker.

Well … it did help set Colt up as a going concern, but …

1911 - Combat Commander style.  SAA.  But for C&B it’s the 1860 (as  Balázs Németh would say), for sure. Try one off the top of a loping horse sometime, it’s like Willie-Peter, it’ll make you a bee-liever.   

I. P. Freeley
He wrote Yellow River too, didn't he?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 06:41:34 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline GaryC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 06:47:00 PM »
I like the 51 Navy best, but I am inclined to call the Patterson the greatest in that it was the first practical belt revolver used in combat that I am aware of.  See Hays' big fight, etc. where Sam Walker was present IIFC.  It demonstrated the advantage of the revolver and later led Walker to approach Colt during the Mexican war to produce the Colt Walker with its improvements.  Maybe "most significant" would be more accurate than "greatest" though.

Regards
Gary

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 07:08:51 PM »
I have to admit, I enjoy shooting my Walker more than my other Colt's though my first love is the 1851 Navy as it was the first cap and ball pistol I ever purchased way back in the late 1960s and the Navy was more popular than any other holster pistol in Old West until the 1873 came along. Style-wise the 1860 Army is the best looking hands down in my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 08:02:04 PM by Bishop Creek »
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 07:29:46 PM »
Greatest Colt, presuming you mean black powder, I'd have to choose either the 1851, or the 1873.

Offline Suntiger

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 07:46:43 PM »
I do shoot my Navy better than my Combat Commander...

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 10:40:04 PM »
I would have to say for the Alpha... it would be the Paterson. The Omega would be the 1911 A1, and then everything else in between.  :-* 8)