Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: May have been asked before  (Read 4672 times)

Offline Suntiger

• View Profile
May have been asked before
« on: January 30, 2019, 05:23:20 PM »
Having trouble finding black powder... local bass pro doesn’t carry it any more... how’s your experience w Pyrodex as a substitute .. I’ve never had to try it before..

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: May have been asked before
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 06:23:14 PM »
I use it about half the time. I use it in my C&B cylinders and load it into cartridges for my .45 Colt. It works great.

Some folks will tell you it's more corrosive to the gun than real BP, and it may be. But if you clean your gun right after shooting, you won't have a problem. I've not experienced any adverse effects from using Pyrodex.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 07:58:11 PM »
Hi Suntiger, I hate Pryodex. A sub I regularly use and like is Black Mz. If you are willing to pay a hazmat fee, you can buy all the BP you need:

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/3501

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Suntiger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 08:18:50 PM »
Thanks to you both!

I really would prefer, not knowing otherwise, to stick with the real thing..unless I can’t...there is something about black powder.. but again I’ve never seen or smelled Pyrodex in action

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 09:03:14 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I prefer real BP always. But if for some reason I don't have any, I just use Pyrodex because it's about all that's available locally. BP isn't available anywhere here, I have to order it. I get mine form Powder Valley and seems to be cheaper than anywhere. It's only $16.95 for a 1lb canister and you can buy any quantity from 1 to 50. Of course, there's the hazmat fee too.

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/goex-black-powder-fffg-1//
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 01:29:28 AM »
I use a lot of it. It's good powder comparable to Swiss and has an undeserved reputation for rust and corrosion. The smell is a lot different tho. It doesn't work well in flintlocks and Sharps but standard caps set it off just fine in revolvers and side locks. It's also the closest to real black of all the subs in the ingredients used. 
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 04:50:50 AM »
Hi Suntiger, you may want to read this thread to help you with your propellant decisions:

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,1356.msg11667.html#msg11667

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 01:38:11 AM »
Richard, great effort there. Thank You for all that work and cash expenditure. I do not know how I missed your very fine work but hopefully I can re-find it when I have questions concerning powder quality and burn rates.

I very much enjoy these tests and look forward to the next set to.
BIGTED

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 05:22:08 PM »
Hi ssb --   
Since you first posted it I've kept a link to that data separate and handy for many informative references.  Thanks again.

Good quote of you from there:

"Isn't that beautiful, the muzzle energy is almost linearly directly proportional to the powder weight".

(7&
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 07:36:54 AM »
I don't hate Pyrodex.
I prefer the real thing, but buying it has become a royal pain.
I can buy a pound of Pyro...or I can buy minimum 6 pounds of BP with shipping and haz fees thrown in.
It's pretty much a lose/lose situation.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 08:09:39 AM »
Hi Kirk, you may think that you don't need 6lbs of BP, but if you look at it as an investment in being able to shoot BP it's cheap now. I have no doubt that in the future some fool will use BP to hurt others. That's all Nancy and other anti-gun idiots need to ban the use of BP by hobbyists. Look on how many sporting goods stores now no longer carry BP because of regulations.

Real BP lasts for hundreds of years. Even if you don't use it, your great great grand-kids can. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 09:30:11 AM »
You make some good points, Richard.
I guess it's just ponying up for the big purchase I need to get past.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 09:55:08 AM »
Hi Kirk, as you may know I mostly use subs instead of real BP. However, I have a reserve of real BP that could last me many lifetimes. I would rather be secure in my ability to shoot C&B BP in the future than save a few bucks. I'm sure my son-in-law in the future will be happy for my living by the old Boy Scout motto of Be Prepared.

However, avoid Pryodex. IMO that stuff is chemically unstable for long term storage. Don't tell Hawg. lol

Regards,
Richard

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 11:05:35 AM »
However, avoid Pryodex. IMO that stuff is chemically unstable for long term storage. Don't tell Hawg. lol

Depends on what you call long term storage. I've got two open bottles that were opened about 6 years ago and it still works good enough I can't tell any degradation.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 10:22:55 AM »
Hi Hawg, frankly, I don't really know how stable is Pryodex with time. I just hate the stuff since it is erratic with ignition and choke on the smoke. I said what I said to get a rise out of you. I apologize.

Regards,
Richard