Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1871 Navy Conversion  (Read 5278 times)

Offline tljack

• View Profile
1871 Navy Conversion
« on: June 10, 2019, 02:11:46 PM »
This is the latest addition to my collection. It is a 1871 Open Top Colt Conversion in 38 special by Uberti. Nicely goes with my 1860 Richards Mason conversion.
I just found this and purchased it this morning, It is 6 years old. It has a few minor a few dings and small scratches but mechanically everything works perfect. Excellent bore also and it came with a holster.

Anxious to get to the range to shoot it.
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Flinters are awesome!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: 1871 Navy Conversion
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 02:21:40 PM »
Nice find.    That's the revolver I was looking for when I bought my 1860 Richards conversion.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 03:12:58 PM »
Very nice score. I have the 72 Army version. Army grip, long barrel and .45 Colt caliber. My all time favorite revolver. Can't wait to hear your shooting report.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 03:31:41 PM »
An open top conversion is at the top of my list......great find. Good looking holster too!
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 05:01:39 PM »
Man ... that IS a dandy revolver! Exactly what I am savin my penny's for ... barrel length n all. 38 spcl. Is the perfect chamber for a 72 open top Colt. Kinda is still a 36 cal.

Looking forward to the range report. Bettin it will be vera fun.
BIGTED

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 09:09:21 AM »
Very nice score. I have the 72 Army version. Army grip, long barrel and .45 Colt caliber. My all time favorite revolver. Can't wait to hear your shooting report.

I am attaching a picture of a 10 shot group at 15 yards I made with my 1860 conversion. I could not believe I did this good. I can shoot handguns pretty good but this is my best I think.

Hoping this new one will do about the same!  Have to wait a bit to shoot it as I am dealing with back problems at the moment. I will be sure to let the group know how it does when I can shoot it.

Flinters are awesome!

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 01:06:20 PM »
Just so you know the '71 open top isn't a conversion.  It's a cartridge gun designed from the ground up, the predecessor of the '73 Peacemaker.

It'll be even better if/when you fix the short arbor!  As cool as they are "broke", they're that much better fixed!!
Just a heads up!! (Congratulations)

Mike

www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 01:10:57 PM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 01:57:17 PM »
Just so you know the '71 open top isn't a conversion.  It's a cartridge gun designed from the ground up, the predecessor of the '73 Peacemaker.

It'll be even better if/when you fix the short arbor!  As cool as they are "broke", they're that much better fixed!!
Just a heads up!! (Congratulations)

Mike

www.goonsgunworks.com

I understand that the Uberti arbors are to long. I have some guns I have to be very careful off not to put the wedge in to tight or the cylinder will not rotate.

Flinters are awesome!

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 05:17:01 PM »
Not too long, too short (which is why the cylinder will lock up)!  The arbor length defines the barrel/cylinder clearance. For my numbers, the Piettas are too long, the Uberti's are too short so each need a little "work". Since the " Opentop "  is Uberti, it's too short. Both are easy enough to fix.

Mike

www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 05:32:52 PM »
Yes I remember seeing videos about adding to the length of the arbor with a washer and a pin drilled into it. Seemed a bit crude to me. I imagine you have a more profession way of correcting this.

Flinters are awesome!

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 12:06:02 AM »
I anchor a solid spacer in the arbor hole.  I make it slightly long so I can  "fine tune" the barrel/cylinder clearance by "dressing down" the arbor. It's the easiest way I've found to  "zero in" repeatedly to a specific measurement.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 10:43:32 AM »
Hi tljack, there is a simple workaround to the Uberti short arbor issue. Get a cheap set of automotive leaf gauges. Decide on the barrel/cylinder gap desired. I like 0.005" for BP. Go to half cock and insert the leaf in between the barrel and cylinder. Incert the desired gap gauge. Hammer the wedge on hard. Then remove the gauge. That will keep the gap at a correct value for the remainder of the shoot. If you remove the barrel, you need to repeat this process. Having said that, it is only a workaround to consistent gap that keeps poi on target the same shot to shot, reload to reload. The perfect fix is to fix the short arbor. I was using epoxy on brass buttons filed to a correct gap, but have moved to adding a threaded set screw to the end of the arbor. That method allows simply setting any gap desired, even after many shooting outings. Want to change the gap? Turn the set screw.

All Uberti revolvers have short arbors. Ultimately, fixing the Uberti short arbor is the desirable path.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 11:56:49 AM »
Thank you everyone for the great information!

Flinters are awesome!

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 06:02:23 PM »
I have discovered a source of shims on the cheap and yet just about purrrfect.

I take an old 38 spcl or 357 mag case and saw off the head/rim rite in the groove of the rim. This "rim" is ... or has been plenty thick for the shim needed. I file the cut off side to the thickness needed and after I have the button needed for the shim. The primer hole ... I take a counter sink and bevel one side ... the cut n filed side, then I dob super glue on the bevel and place it in the arbor hole that has been cleaned with alcohol and glue it in place.

Looking down the arbor hole, you will read 38 SPCL which I use everytime. Kinda cool to see what looks like a cartridge case in the bottom of the hole.

If a person were crafty, you could take a new primer, remove the anvil, then "wash" the priming powder out ... then with it filed and glued into the primer hole of the new "shim", it would look even more like a live cartridge case in the bottom of the arbor hole under the barrel.
BIGTED

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 05:54:03 AM »
I have discovered a source of shims on the cheap and yet just about purrrfect.

So, c'mon...share!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"