Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Cap Sucking Colts  (Read 99371 times)

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
Re: Cap Sucking Colts
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2016, 01:12:50 PM »
My whole point  (this is for everybody, not picking on Richard or anybody else) for doing what I do is quite simply, to make the most popular and best looking revolvers of our past  ( the Colt open top) , to be as reliable as possible, easier handling than most any modern revolver and an action that functions with the accuracy of the highest attainable in a S.A. revolver.

That's it. As far as I'm concerned, I'm as close as I've ever been and if there's anything I can do to make it any better, that is my search.  (I'm a little bit anal about it )

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2016, 04:55:58 AM »
Or we could just petition the cap makers to go back to making caps the old way.  Yeah, all 50 of us would make an impact!

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2016, 05:45:13 AM »
 (7+"

Agreed!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline wicket

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2016, 06:58:13 AM »
 All we have to do is locate one of the old 1860's cap making machines at a garage sale or something, and haul it to the Colt Forum Clubhouse. When a member needs some caps he can go to the Clubhouse, fire up the steam boiler, and run off a batch. Members with long hair will need to wear hair nets, and smoking while the machine is in operation will have to be discouraged. (7&

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2016, 07:26:39 AM »
Hair net my hind end.  *9+
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline wicket

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2016, 09:18:32 AM »
  Hawg, I don't want to think what would happen if your golden tresses got tangled in one of the drive belts, you'd come out the other end of the machine looking like the Shawnees caught you poaching deer. (jh

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2016, 11:39:02 AM »

Hi Hawg, hairnet over your hind end? I want to see that!!  :-H :-H :-H :-H

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2016, 11:51:25 AM »
  Hawg, I don't want to think what would happen if your golden tresses got tangled in one of the drive belts, you'd come out the other end of the machine looking like the Shawnees caught you poaching deer. (jh

Once upon a time long long ago I worked in a machine shop with hair almost to my waist. I ran six different milling machines and a thread lathe and never got it caught up in anything. It's a lot shorter now and I think I can handle a simple steam powered cap maker.  :-*
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2016, 11:52:39 AM »

Hi Hawg, hairnet over your hind end? I want to see that!!  :-H :-H :-H :-H

Regards,
Richard

Trust me, you don't.  *6'

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2016, 12:10:22 PM »
 (7+"

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline wicket

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2016, 01:39:11 PM »
  Grinder grabbed my shirt sleeve once Hawg, creepy when a machine tries to eat you in a single gulp! Since you won't wear the hair net, I suppose you're gonna whine about wearing the floral print slippers with pink anti-static pompoms too. I guess we can expect a massive explosion followed by you flying through the air attached by your hair to an antique cap making machine. Blue tarp time for the clubhouse.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2016, 03:50:16 AM »
  Since you won't wear the hair net, I suppose you're gonna whine about wearing the floral print slippers with pink anti-static pompoms too.

Whine is too mild of a word.  L@.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2016, 10:58:22 AM »
Hi, has anyone here tried using aquarium tubing as a solution to cap jamming? How did it work out for you?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline GaryC

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2016, 12:19:51 PM »
I've tried aquarium tube.  More trouble than it was worth IMHO.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2016, 11:25:18 AM »
Hi, the 6% silver solder arrived and easily filled the hammer slot. The solder isn't as hard as I thought it would be and filed into shape without any effort. The filled hammer slot:

I'm going to give my wire welder a try filling the gap of the other hammer slot. Maybe with some additional practice I will become proficient with the wire welder.

Regards,
Richard

Hi, I have an Uberti 1862 Navy that is the worst cap sucker of all time. It can't be shot more than two times in a row before a cap jams the revolver. Since that 1862 is such a PITA with cap sucking and there isn't any conversion cylinders for it, it has become a safe queen. Today I decided to try and rectify that cap sucking with the 1862 and use the 6% silver solder technique to fill in the hammer face groove. A little dremel cleaning of the hammer slot and the soldering was easy peasy.  The excess solder was filed off and the revolver is ready for testing. My son-in-law is coming over Monday to do some BP shooting and I will give the 1862 a workout.

I have to admit that the 1858 Remingtons run and run without a hitch, but I'm damn determined to make my Colts as reliable without employing a cap rake.

Regards,
Stubborn Richard