Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Only the lonely  (Read 15037 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Only the lonely
« on: February 01, 2015, 05:06:47 AM »
Hi, not too long ago I bought my second .36 BP revolver, a steel frame Pietta 1851 Navy that was on sale at Cabelas for $170. Since then, I knew that .36 1851 Navy needed a sister. I kept checking daily for sales at Cabelas, Old South Firearms, and Dixie Gun Works, but it appears that nobody was willing to give me a new 1851 Navy super cheap. Best price is Dixie, see:
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=3438

I now have that revolver on order. In addition, I ordered a Wolff 32280 reduced power spring from Midway to install in the new 1851.

I really love shooting and fondling all my Colts, but the .36 1851 Navy is quickly becoming my favorite handgun. It's a natural pointer and the most accurate revolver I have ever owned.

Now where is the UPS guy?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Only the lonely
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 11:05:57 AM »
Hi, well, my Pietta .36 caliber 1851 isn't so lonely anymore. The UPS guy just arrived with my new Pietta .36 1851 revolver. Pietta keeps getting better and better in fit and finish. The walnut stock is simply gorgeous with excellent figure. Timing is perfect. The only issue I see is a slight discoloration on the brass. I'm certain that a little Brasso will take care of it. The date code on this revolver is CM, 2014. Here is a photo of the just arrived Pietta 1851:

I expect the Wolff reduced power spring in a couple of days and will install it. I still need to test timing with .38 Colt conversion cylinder. Maybe I take a photo of all my 1851s together to post. My .36 1851 isn't lonely anymore.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 11:40:26 AM »
That's the nicest piece of wood I've seen on a Pietta revolver.   I noticed the steel framed '51s in 36 cal. are on sale fro $199 right now.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 11:56:08 AM »
Hi Mike, interesting that Cabelas now has the Pietta 1851 on sale for $200. I'm probably still ahead in that I would need to pay tax at Cabelas and there isn't free shipping. Having said that, I suspect we will see free shipping in the next few weeks. There's no better revolver that fits my hands so well as the 1851. The 1851 is one of the first personal carry Colts that was probably the best Colt revolver ever produced.

Regards,
Richard

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 04:36:23 PM »
I'm toying with going to the Cabelas store near me and picking one out.  The only 36 cal. '51 I have is an Uberti collectors edition that I don't shoot much.   The other two I have are 44 cal. Piettas.    I would like to have a 36 cal.  to shoot with regularly just to see if I agree with the majority on how nice they are to shoot.   My 5.5inch 44 cal. is the best shooting BP revolver I have.  I'll bet I would like the 36 cal. '51 just as well.   

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 08:09:59 AM »
Hi, I had to do a little work on the new Petta .36 1851 Navy. The hand needed to be shortened a few thousands so that my .38 Colt conversion cylinder would time properly. Modifying the hand didn't change the timing of the cap and ball cylinder, the bolt just drops a few thousands sooner in the cylinder bolt lead-in. I also installed the Wolff reduced power spring and polished the brass. Here is a photo of my now not so lonely 1851s:

The top 1851 is the new .36, the second down my first Pietta .36 1851 Navy. The third 1851 down is a Pietta .44 1851 Navy, and the forth down is the Pietta .44 1851 Yank. Of course, the .44 1851s are inventions of Italians, the .36 1851s are as Sam Colt designed.

Regards,
Richard

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 05:07:56 AM »
Looking good.  Now, get out there and shoot them!

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 07:00:44 AM »
Looking good.  Now, get out there and shoot them!

Kevin

Hi Kevin, I would be shooting them if there wasn't over five feet of snow on my range. Today is a day for casting .375 conicals in the basement.

Regards,
Richard

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 04:59:35 PM »
 L@J ... that's what I gotta do next is cast up some more .375's. they go so fast it seems.
BIGTED

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 05:31:08 PM »
That's the nicest piece of wood I've seen on a Pietta revolver.   I noticed the steel framed '51s in 36 cal. are on sale fro $199 right now.

I totally agree. I bought a Pietta 1851 Navy .36 from Cabela's in late December @$200. The metal fit is very good with only one small gas pocket on the trigger guard at the front underside of the left screwhole. The loading lever at the pivot is very sloppy but I may be able to remedy that. My grips look like (in my late father's vernacular) "piss elm", along with the fact that the wood protrudes above the frame area on both sides.  :D

Mine is still a work in progress. If I can find a squareback brass trigger guard for a replica of a 2nd Model (wedge screw above the wedge), I want to obtain a spare grip frame and one-piece grip to take it down to approximately original specs without the Pietta "tail". I also want a shoulder stock for it and a case for all of the above.

Worse still, I never plan on firing it. That's probably going to gall a lot of you folks.

If it all ever comes to fruition, I'll post pics.

Heh, heh...
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 08:26:02 PM »
Hope you find that trigger guard sourdough.   I have a spare grip frame I plan on making a birds head grip with.  I bought it on ebay,  cost more for shipping than I paid for the part.   Are you watching GunBroker?   A couple guys on there are buying revolvers and stripping them down to sell the parts.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 09:50:15 PM »
Hope you find that trigger guard sourdough.   I have a spare grip frame I plan on making a birds head grip with.  I bought it on ebay,  cost more for shipping than I paid for the part.   Are you watching GunBroker?   A couple guys on there are buying revolvers and stripping them down to sell the parts.

Cannibals... ???
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 05:05:00 AM »
L@J ... that's what I gotta do next is cast up some more .375's. they go so fast it seems.

bigted and others,

There are companies out there that have six cavity molds for round balls.  Makes a pile of bullets in short order.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 09:22:50 AM »
I thought LEE built the 6 cavity molds and also thought that they built the 18 cavity molds but cant seem to find them rite now.
BIGTED

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 10:10:04 AM »
Check on e-bay, there might be some 6 cavity molds.