Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What did you do today  (Read 336696 times)

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
Re: What did you do today
« Reply #2310 on: February 11, 2024, 02:54:57 PM »
I have 2~ cords of tongue and groove cedar remnants, drilled some short wood screws into four of these put together, and propped Norms book onto them. Figured that was a worthy cover shot, with some added text.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: February 11, 2024, 04:46:22 PM »
Not to detract from Rocky's passing, but I printed it today. Gonna see my Publisher (the one that tasked me with this project three years ago) Either Monday or Tuesday. (if Office Depot is accurate with their projected time, Tuesday).
I read the rest of it and it was interesting all the way through. Made me want to read more. Maybe add a summation of your findings to finish it off.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: February 11, 2024, 07:15:47 PM »
I like it!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: February 12, 2024, 03:03:02 PM »
Not to detract from Rocky's passing, but I printed it today. Gonna see my Publisher (the one who tasked me with this project three years ago) Either Monday or Tuesday. (if Office Depot is accurate with their projected time, Tuesday).
I read the rest of it, and it was interesting all the way through. Made me want to read more. Maybe add a summation of your findings to finish it off.

The idea was that this was a "writing sample" to sell the publisher on my re-writing the whole thing. Dropped it off today, and now we wait...

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: February 12, 2024, 04:56:12 PM »
Not to detract from Rocky's passing, but I printed it today. Gonna see my Publisher (the one who tasked me with this project three years ago) Either Monday or Tuesday. (if Office Depot is accurate with their projected time, Tuesday).
I read the rest of it, and it was interesting all the way through. Made me want to read more. Maybe add a summation of your findings to finish it off.

The idea was that this was a "writing sample" to sell the publisher on my re-writing the whole thing. Dropped it off today, and now we wait...
That's cool. I look forward to hearing it is accepted as you have it.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: February 12, 2024, 05:00:55 PM »
Great concept and mostly good pictures.  Photos of your vehicle may not be entirely on point.

So far as your  American English prose goes … well, ah,  there is room for improvement, put it that way.  Much of the text is nearly unreadable.  Go back to composition basics and work forward.  That could take years, but would be time well spent.  If you are serious, you will have an actual proofreader (competent English teacher, grad student, whatever) go over
your recent material and include proofreading marks.  You could then study those and learn the various things in your writings that are going wrong.  The prospective publisher will probably provide that.  Also, there are many really good handbooks for writers available.  Get one and consult it.

The chairman of the English Department, at a pretty good school I once attended, told the class that to become a decent writer one has to be prepared to throw away 90% of what they write.  Harsh - but probably true. 

You often refer to Norm and Norman.  When it’s necessary to mention him in the text, use his full name or just his last. Your readers are not having lunch with the guy.

Photography is more your forte. You’re good at that.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 05:18:44 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: February 12, 2024, 05:26:01 PM »
Appreciated G Dog, that is the blatant honesty I was looking for and apparently received.

Will take that under advisement.

(this is one of those moments when I wish my Father was still with us; writing and grammar were his thing... He'd have laid it wide open and raw. RIP Pops, 3/13/04)

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: February 12, 2024, 05:30:07 PM »
Great concept and mostly good pictures. 

The chairman of the English Department, at a pretty good school I once attended, told the class that to become a decent writer one has to be prepared to throw away 90% of what they write.

Photography is more your forte. You’re good at that.

And on that note?
www.stolensoulphotography.com is my website.
and the Rule of Thumb with photography is you shit can your first 10,000 clicks. That annoyed me at first when I heard it, but now that I have 250k in? (or whatever the number is, there are gigs... and gigs lost...) I get it. The publisher may return with a synopsis similar to yours, and I'll accept that. (ties into the first 10k clicks thought process) But... as I read the book he gave me tonight that he JUST published on Idaho-specific ghost towns, while your critiquing is valuable, the writing I did at face value is higher than his other published authors.

So I guess we'll see.

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: April 06, 2024, 02:11:28 PM »
I posted here.
Since it's been too quiet.

Also? Lost one of my matching fountain pens.

That is all.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: April 06, 2024, 02:33:12 PM »
That looks really good. :cowboypistol:
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.