Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Damn it, say something  (Read 12398 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Damn it, say something
« on: May 13, 2016, 11:28:04 AM »
Hi, I see a lot of members visit this message board, but never say squat. A message board is best used when members contribute or comment what they think. There are no stupid comments or posts, well maybe mine at times.  (7+" (7+" This is our message board. Even a dog marks his territory, how about marking yours?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Damn it, say something
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 12:28:50 PM »
Something.  *6'
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 01:17:37 PM »
I have not had an interesting forum related thought all week except for “Man, I gotta go shooting”  (and it’s Friday!)  --  I’m still workin on it. 

I got me some cig paper pre-roll .380 and .454 on top of 22 grains and 32 grains Pyro P respectively.  Need to bust some caps behind those puppies.  I'll get it done. 
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 05:18:07 PM »
Lurkers gonna lurk. They want to suck up the info but don't want to contribute anything back. )j^
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 05:26:30 PM »
If you don't have gun stuff to post, post anything. There are subforums for just about anything.

Offline wicket

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 09:35:31 AM »
  I'll be honest, I only hang out on blackpowder forums to meet hot chicks. If the chicks leave, I leave. I might be generating a sock-puppet here named either "CRYSTALXXX" or "SWEET JASMINE 4-U" in the near future to attract more babes to the board, don't get the wrong idea about me, I'm just taking a bullet for the good of the squad. L@J

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 09:42:16 AM »
Hi wicket, you've got the right idea! There's only one thing hotter than a nice Colt, IMO a hot chick shooting a Colt.

&\? &\? &\? &\? &\? &\? &\? &\? &\? &\? &\? &\? &\? &\? &\? &\? &\? &\? &\? &\?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 11:17:33 AM »
Lurkers gonna lurk. They want to suck up the info but don't want to contribute anything back. )j^

Hi Hawg, I'm not so negative on those that just view these message boards. I think there is a certain reluctance to post something that may be criticized or open for negative discussion. There is also the concept that 10% of the population do 90% of the work. I hope the lurkers learn to trust us where there is never a comment or question that will be demonized by the regular posters. We love our hobby and want to share that experience with others. The only thing I can say to the lurkers is to man up and give us a chance to show you we are your friends.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 01:46:19 PM »
I guess I've just gotten cynical. I've been on gun forums since 99 and been a mod on one or more since 04 or 05 and it's always been like this. There's nothing you can say or do to make a lurker post. Now a lot of the "guests" you see aren't real people, they're just bots for the various search engines etc.

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 06:21:40 PM »
I think many lurkers are new to the sport and feel they don't have enough experience to offer something of value.  I doubt what you see here in terms of regular participation vs. lurkers is much different in other niche sports, if anything, I'd guess it's worse elsewhere.

Offline wicket

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 07:22:16 PM »
  Something I don't understand is why it matters whether lurkers lurk or newbies are shy about posting. Does a forum get something from the number of its contributing members, does it  fail if the numbers  don't increase, or perhaps even decrease?

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 07:39:25 PM »
No it's just irksome(at least to me)when people want to access the knowledge without so much as a thank you or kiss my butt.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 07:56:41 PM »
I don't worry about that at all. I just think a busy forum garners more attention from the lurkers and possible contributors than one that is dead. I've looked at web forums, saw that they hadn't had more than a handful of posts in months and walked away, so to speak.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 08:12:19 PM »
I've looked at web forums, saw that they hadn't had more than a handful of posts in months and walked away, so to speak.

They're dead because nobody will come in and post.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 08:42:23 PM »
Even the members they have now.