Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Fleet procurement, outfitting, shoot reports etc  (Read 55364 times)

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
Fleet procurement, outfitting, shoot reports etc
« on: October 13, 2016, 02:59:42 PM »
Am in the process of replacing all of my  'replica'  Colt  'Revolving breach repeaters'  with  'reissue'  Colts- brown, black and grey box generation.  Got a side of Leather from Hide House in Napa.  Over the past few days I made 7  holsters, 4 support belts, 1 being a heavy waist belt,  'socket'  carriers for all holsters, Various soft leather pouches for ball, moulds, oilers, etc.

Still in work-  Appendage pouch (for carrying shoot essentials: Flask, tools, oiler, ,.).

In the end, I ll  have an outfit that includes an  'Away ranging' getup of-  2 holster pistols (M-47, M-47H), 1 Belt pistol (M-61), 1 Pocket pistol (M-49), 1- ocular scope (brass telescoping), 1- compass (brass & glass from London/Stanley), 1- Bowie knife (9.5'', Stag grip, from Bear & Son),,,,,.    Cont---
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 04:37:47 PM by Captainkirk »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Fleet procurement and outfitting
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 06:07:02 PM »
You realize pictures are a must...right?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 06:58:24 PM »
No pics, didn't happen.  (7&
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 05:15:08 PM »
I m  a gett n  plenty of pictures.  I ll  get m  in here.

Cont-  I have a handy shoulder supported socket holstered getup for the pocket models I have.  It is variable where it allows carriage in different positions.  The socket holster removes and relocates to other areas instantly without unbelting and so on.

Getting on the entire getup of 2  Holster pistols, pouches, belt pistol and pocket pistol, ,  with only a little bit of balls for each, powder etc, the weight is stupid.  can hardly get around!  It is fun to get all suited up in case the Redlegs come pounce n  through.

Going on my  ranging perimeter rounds, I have a  Holster/Holster (H), or belt,  pocket.  Fun to run around at night on the trails/paths through the property.  Sighted bear poop on the N. path the other day.  So, at night, I carry at least the Heavy belt (.44)

This morning, in the mist, I ran outside with a piece of bacon.  Fired one shot, got in the cloud of smoke and ate the bacon.  Oh! Yeah!!!  ,  let s  see now.  Who in this forum has this quote?

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 03:34:17 PM »
Got it!  The 1861 Navy, Black box gen. Complete with box, docs and pin!

Gett n  it in the mail in a couple of days.

Offline prof marvel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 09:30:51 PM »
Photos! Tintypes! or at least illustrations!

Fun to run around at night on the trails/paths through the property.  Sighted bear poop on the N. path the other day.  So, at night, I carry at least the Heavy belt (.44)

This morning, in the mist, I ran outside with a piece of bacon.  Fired one shot, got in the cloud of smoke and ate the bacon. 

Oh yes, you have it bad, um hmmm

yhs
prf mvl
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 09:50:34 PM by prof marvel »

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 01:33:16 PM »
Yeah.  I do.  Fun though.

I even have alert statuses to respond to various  perimeter incursions ( A-1,2,3 - C-1, 2, 3.  Depending upon the alert, a particular arrangement of weaponry is required for the   r a n g i n g   patrol/responses.  For example, bear shite was discovered on the N. Path.  Ranging patrols, for the next days were A- 2 with-  1 holster pistol (H)  -Heavy- ,  1 Belt pistol (M) -Medium-.

Offline prof marvel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 03:22:57 PM »
Not even a sketch yet?

Yeah.  I do.  Fun though.

I even have alert statuses to respond to various  perimeter incursions ......

yhs
prof marvel
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 03:30:38 PM by prof marvel »

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 07:25:07 PM »
Decaff?  Noooooo  Diesel baby!!!    Ball casting party going on now.  Got a fire going and am casting from the Pedersoli .44, .36 and .31 molds.  We ll  see how it goes firing the cast jobs.  Hope they  'hermetically'  seal properly!

I ll  try to get the daguereotypes , ?  posted soon.  Should get  CDR Foote in tomorrow (Black box gen 1861 Navy)  Look n  forward to it!

My revised heavy ranging compliment -  1  Holster (H) -Walker-, 1 Holster (M) -Whitneyville Dragoon-, 1 Belt (M) -1861 Navy-, 1 Pocket (L) -1849 Pocket-, The Bowie and a few other little things.  Kinda like Josey Wales s. 

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
Re: Fleet procurement and outfitting shoot reports etc
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 07:03:00 PM »
Shoot report

First time firing a  1860 Army! (Grey box gen) Great firing piece!  A nice rolling crack, very good grip in hand feeling. light rolling recoil. Very crisp/timed action, smooth,   v e r y   smooth trigger pull.  Chamber was loaded full with round ball.  20 yards to target.  3/4 in plywood.  Typicall ballistics

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 07:18:05 PM »
Casted rounds and conicals from Pedersoli molds- .31, .36 and .44 (Walker mold picket only)

The .31 ball fits beautifully! (Grey box gen 1849 Pocket)  A nice tight fit with a ring of lead shaved off.  The conical, however, does nt  fit under the barrel lug through the recess, to go under the rammer.  I altered the conical to where it would.  Then it would not ram cleanly.  It hung up and I could not place enough pressure on the lever to ram it.  So now I do 2  things- 1-  Remove the tip and  'roll'  the conical  between two pieces of hard wood to reduce the diameter slightly.

Yet to test the others.  Will do in the next days.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 07:24:34 PM »
Shoot report

Grey Box gen 1849 Pocket-    1- round with 12 grains of powder and 1- conical with 8 grains of powder.

Action a   l i t t t t l l l e eeee   heavy, The conical went out like a CB cap (.22).  No recoil and a   'fun'  semi-loud  'pop'.  Ball bounced off the 3/4 in plywood at 20 yards.

The round though !!   This little sucker kicked fairly nice with a  good 'crack'  report and the  'Big BB'  penetrated the plywood at 20 yards. 

The conical could have taken a little more powder.  That  Pedersoli makes a  really big conical!!  Don t  know the grain weight.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 03:40:08 PM »
Shoot report II    -Conical and round from Pedersoli mold, full powder, 15 yards, 2 x 8 fir (board was lightly braced in place to keep standing)-

Conical:

1849 Pocket          .             .                .         .        .          .            .       .   Surface protrusion penetration.

1862 Pocket        .            .            .        .       .           .         .         .     .     Complete penetration and tipped the board over

1861 Navy         .         .       .             .                  .              .             .         Almost came out the back and knocked the board over

1860 Army       .         .    (Walker  'Picket')  "       .         .       .         .       Deep penetration and knocked the board about a foot away.  No sign of trying to come out the back though.

--------------------------------
- With round  ball-

1849 Pocket         .              .             .               .                Surface penetration

1862 Pocket            .               .               .               .          Deep penetration

1861 Navy            .                .                  .                .          - - Didn t  fire one , ,   y e t  !

1860 Army      .         .     with full powder         .             'Hot butter knifed'  through the board.

------------       ------------------         -------------------       
The conical takes up a    l o t   of room in the '49, and 60.  So much that the ball  'pops'  out of the 49 and barely  'cracks  out of the 60.  The '61 though,  it zooms out pretty good.  Really though, fired from the '60, the way the ball penetrated and deformed/expanded for good punch, was impressive!

Good  'shock and stop' power from the soft conicals.  Good velocity and penetration from the round balls.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 04:34:39 PM »
Loads-

Here is what I keep loaded:

2- conicals, 2-  rounds and 2- chambers loaded with  .17 shot.  (Pocket models- 1- chamber with birdshot No. 8.

As far as damaging the rifling,  the Dragoon I sold to the Captain was fired this way too.  I fired a lot of it through that Dragoon since 1985.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 04:39:26 PM »
Of all my latest aquistions, from the Walker down to the '49 Pocket, all take the same caps.  They are all Grey box gens. ,   e x c e p t, the '61 Navy and the '62 Pocket Police.  These two are Black boxers.  The cones (nipples) are the same size, which are smaller than the grey boxers.  Strange.  I intend to replace them with whatever is in in the others.  The caps fit   r e a l l y   snug on all of them except the Blackboxers.