Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: EMF Paterson on sale  (Read 58248 times)

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
Re: EMF Paterson on sale
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 12:24:05 PM »
Hi Kirk, there will be photos when I get the Paterson. When I was doing research on the Paterson from archived threads on this message board I was disappointed that all the photos that scooby posted were gone. I would have loved to see those Paterson photos.

Regards,
Richard
They were some good ones, including disassembled shots.
Another reason I hate Photobucket.

The only reason I can think of that pics from Photobucket are missing on various posts is because they have been deleted from the person's library by the owner of that account. I don't delete from my account and have pics there from at least 5 years ago and I still have 98% of my library/account unused.

The site IS slow from time to time, but it still works for anything I have posted here or on other forums.

Just my $.02 worth.

Jim

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 12:25:16 PM »
Jim, every time PB does one of it's "updates" any pictures posted pre-update vanish.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 09:06:05 AM »
Hi, I ordered a used copy of Paterson Colt Pistol Variations, by Phillips Wilson on eBay, see:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112287663208?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Prices for this book are all over the place, but I think this is the book to have if you are interested in the Paterson revolver.

Regards,
Richard

Hi, I just received this book. It is a treasure-trove of information on the Colt Paterson, lots of plates and examples. On extra cylinders, many of the cased Patersons have the extra cylinder, both square back and rounded back cylinders.

I know I will learn a lot about Patersons from this book.  &\? &\?

Regards,
Richard 
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2017, 08:22:29 AM »
Hi, we tend to think of metallurgy problems only affected the Colt Walker. No so, the book documents a number of Paterson cylinder and barrel failures. One military command even withdrew use of the Patterson reporting a number of problems.

Most of the problems occurred from Patersons manufactured by Ehlers during the Colt bankruptcy where inventory parts were assembled, some with different serial number parts. Seems there was little if any quality control.

It amazed me to see a plate of a Patterson with serial number 1 that is a .54 caliber revolver.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2017, 12:59:06 PM »
The old Paterson pics would have been on the old account and surely  long gone now.

I saved these photos some years ago but only labeled them Paterson.  Looks like Scooby work to me, that or some other skilled photographer member.

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2017, 10:42:46 PM »
Pretty sure that is Scooby's handiwork.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 12:29:47 PM »
Hi, the new Pietta Paterson just came in the door. The fit and finish is excellent. There are a few things I already learned about this revolver. The cylinder/barrel gap is 0.002". It was made in 2015 and the arbor is the same diameter of the Pietta 1851. The hammer spring is very strong and I intend on buying a new spring to grind down to a more acceptable hammer pull. One thing that did surprise me is that there is no forcing cone on the rear of the barrel and I need to do some research if adding a forcing cone is advisable. The bolt does drop before the cylinder bolt hole and produces a small scratch before the hole. There is no bolt lead-in like with the 1851/1860 cylinders. Maybe a little polish on the bolt will minimize cylinder wear?

Photos tomorrow.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2017, 05:05:55 AM »
Hi, the new Pietta Paterson photos:

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 05:48:01 AM by ssb73q »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2017, 06:42:49 AM »
Hi, on further investigation, the Pietta Patterson made in 2015 has a short arbor, ~1/8" short. Pietta had been producing other BP models with correct arbor length so this was a surprise. I will add a brass extension piece to the arbor to correctly size the cylinder/barrel gap.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2017, 12:36:11 PM »
Man, that is so sweet!
You aren't helping me any, dude...

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2017, 04:04:25 PM »
Looks great Richard,  glad to hear everything is order except the arbor length.  Hope the snow melts so you can get out and shoot it soon.

Offline Rcampb6131

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2017, 01:13:39 PM »
For comparison, here is mine - a Uberti dated 1989.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2017, 02:02:53 PM »
The old Paterson pics would have been on the old account and surely  long gone now.

I saved these photos some years ago but only labeled them Paterson.  Looks like Scooby work to me, that or some other skilled photographer member.

Indeed, those are pics that I took. Glad you saved them.

I have no knowledge of Paterson Colts.

Could one of you folks explain what the extra piece of hardware is all about? I have seen that in several photos you all have posted but I have no clue.

Since the Paterson has no load lever, I am just guessing that it has to do with loading the cylinder, but I am probably very off base.

I am into 1851 Navy replicas and cousins and Dragoons.

Thanks in advance for entertaining a newbie.   ^j)

Sincerely,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2017, 02:38:02 PM »
Here you go Jim,   it's called a loading tool.   One end has a screw driver head,  the other end has a ball that you can unscrew to reveal a hidden nipple pick.   The flat end is inserted into the arbor slot to act as a fulcrum for pressing the ball into the chamber.   

Here's a photo showing how it's used....

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2017, 03:06:57 PM »
Hi Jim, what Mike said with the addition that under the ball there is a nipple wrench. The original Patersons and the Uberti replica have nipples that require a 4-edged nipple wrench. The nipple wrench under the ball for the Pietta replica has the typical 2-edged wrench, same nipples as on other Piettas. Owners of the Uberti never want to lose that tool if they ever want to remove the nipples of their Paterson.

Mike, nice job showing the Paterson loading tool!!

Regards,
Richard