Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: EMF Paterson on sale  (Read 58253 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: EMF Paterson on sale
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2017, 03:18:21 PM »
You're right Richard,  forgot the nipple wrench is under there too.  I didn't realize the Pietta nipples were the modern type instead of the cross head type.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2017, 12:46:35 PM »
You guys are great! I had no idea that such a tool existed.

I learn something new every day, and that is saying something for someone with Old-timer's disease.  &\?

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2017, 10:28:28 AM »
Hi, the Pietta Paterson is so nice that I am asking Leathersmith Mike to make a natural leather holster for it. I have been handling the Pietta Paterson so much that my wife asked me if I would like to take it to bed with us. That was the signal for me to put the Patterson down and talk with her. Talking with my wife is a ticket for my next revolver.  ;)

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2017, 12:07:37 PM »
Hi, the temp outside was 50F so I went out and shot my new Pietta Paterson. Well, she ain't a virgin anymore, and she ain't an 1851 right out of the box. I shot 30rds two hands from 25yds at my steel targets. The Paterson shoots ~8" high. and grouped ~4". Part of my shooting accuracy problem is the heavy trigger pull, it is 8+lbs. Another problem I ran into was that the cylinder would bind against the barrel right after the first shot, the remaining four shots required me to help turn the cylinder as I cocked. A gap of 0.003" is too tight with the barrel not having a forcing cone. On removal of the barrel a uniform lead splash can be seen on the rear end of the barrel. Even after one cylinder, removal of the barrel from the arbor was difficult because fouling is blown up inside the barrel arbor hole. I needed to lube that part with spit to continue shooting.

This is a photo of my loading area:

This is a photo of my first five shots, I was aiming at the bottom of the steel gong. Two to the left the remaining three centered:

This a scooby like photo after finishing the shoot:

The heavy hammer pull may be contributing to the very heavy trigger pull. However, I did see a video where the hammer would blow back and am now concerned that lightening the hammer spring would enance hammer blow-back. That video:

I already broke off the brass arbor button that was JB Weld to the arbor since it is known to be too short. Whether adding a arbor extension screw or adding a forcing cone worthwhile is still being considered. I'm certain that with enough work, a good trigger pull could be achieved and that the revolver could be sighted in to have poi=poa.

In any event, shooting the Paterson was fun and as Mike and scooby said "it is what it is".

Worst case this Pietta Patterson stays stock and added to my living room display.

I caution anyone considering the Patterson for a shooting BP revolver to think hard about that decision, very hard.

Edit: BTW, my first two shots were to the left until I settled down. I think that the Texas 9" barrel Paterson with with the long sight radius has the potential (getting the trigger pull reasonable) for being an extremely accurate BP revolver.

Regards,
Richard 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 05:58:29 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2017, 02:58:56 PM »
Welcome to the realm of Paterson shooters Richard.   I'm sure you can work out the issues you are having and continue to enjoy shooting your new revolver.   My Paterson has a .005 cylinder gap and does begin to bind up on the 3rd cylinder full.    My revolver does not have a forcing cone either,  just a small chamfer that would not be considered a forcing cone at all.   I have never noticed any lead splash around the back end of the barrel.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2017, 09:15:51 PM »
Congrats on the new Paterson. Thanks for sharing pics and shooting report. They sure are neat revolvers.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2017, 09:11:12 AM »
Hi while I was a bit concerned on the stiffness of the Pietta Paterson action, after cleaning the revolver and putting fresh Ballistol in the revolver, the action is now a lot smoother. The more I cycle the action, the smoother the action becomes. The hammer and trigger pull is still heavy, but becoming more manageable with experience. Removal of the nipples for cleaning was a surprise, the nipples were in only finger tight. Pietta never let Brunhilde with her 100lb torque wrench near this Paterson during manufacture.

I would still like to lighten up the hammer spring, but concerned that hammer blow-back may occur. Maybe adding SliXshot nipples would minimize hammer blow back where I could lighten the hammer spring. I will wait for the replacement hammer springs come in to modify than irreversibly ruin the original hammer spring. The Pietta Paterson nipples seem to be the standard Pietta nipples used in the Pietta 1851/1860.

This adventure continues.

Regards,
Richard 

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2017, 10:18:14 AM »
Hi, a new brass button to have the arbor bottom with a 0.005" cylinder/barrel gap was made. The button fits so well in the barrel arbor hole that I don't need to epoxy it on. For the second time I tore down the Paterson to smooth the internal parts. The Paterson isn't a revolver that should be disassembled often. The barrel pins are a separate piece that changes barrel registration every time it is removed. My barrel was coming off the frame easily with the original revolver after inserting and removal a number of times. Now the barrel is a bear to install and and remove again. After going through all the smoothing, the Paterson action is just as rough as before. The cylinder now over rotates the bolt when cocking the revolver very fast. The now smoothed bolt face now is cutting a groove in the cylinder ahead of the bolt hole. Guess I should have well left the revolver alone. It's hard to believe that Colt designed such a complex action design. Someone must have challenged him to make the most complex designed revolver his mind could envision. In the future, the action stays intact for cleaning, only the grip will be removed.

The Paterson is a must have replica for any BP collection, but know that it comes with lots of issues never seen in the later Colt revolvers.

I ordered SliX-shot nipples for this Paterson and looking to buy an extra cylinder. When the replacement hammer springs arrive, I will grind down the replacement spring to lighten that spring and install the SliX-shot nipples.

Bottom line is that the Paterson is a delightful revolver to hold, shoot, and display, but best left until you exhaust owning the better designed BP revolvers.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2017, 03:57:40 AM »
Hi, the new Paterson leather holster from LeathersmithMike arrived yesterday. It's a beauty and the workmanship is suburb, see:

Due to high winds, we lost electric utility power for three days, had to use the generator. The internet was out so I looked for a gun project to keep me busy. To that end I JB Weld the free floating brass arbor spacing button to the arbor end and filed the brass button for a 0.006" gap. The larger gap will minimize the Paterson BP and lead splash fouling.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 05:49:52 AM by ssb73q »

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2017, 10:13:52 AM »
The holster looks great.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2017, 09:17:02 AM »
Hi, in an email Kirst told me they are working on a .22 conversion cylinder for the Pietta Paterson that should be available early next year. To that end I began to prepare a full length .22 barrel for the Paterson. A 3/8" outer diameter barrel liner has been threaded on one inch of each end of the barrel, 3/8x24". The outer diameter will need to be reduced by filing to a diameter of ~0.360" so that it will be a slight tight fit in the .36 caliber Paterson barrel. A forcing cone will also be done on the rear end of the barrel after the barrel is fitted to the Paterson barrel. I will need to have the Kirst conversion cylinder before final fitting can be done.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2017, 10:50:21 AM »
Now THAT'S what I call "being prepared".... (7+"
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2017, 10:25:07 AM »
Hi Kirk, yes indeed, I'm just an old boy scout, be prepared. That sometimes drives my wife nuts, but that's my training from a boy. Being prepared has saved our asses a number of times.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2017, 11:42:54 AM »
Hi Kirk, yes indeed, I'm just an old boy scout, be prepared. That sometimes drives my wife nuts, but that's my training from a boy. Being prepared has saved our asses a number of times.

Regards,
Richard
I know, right?
I keep preaching this at my grown sons, but despite them both being former scouts, they don't take it to heart.
I was both a Scout and a leader. The lessons learned "took" I guess..
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2017, 08:33:00 AM »
Hi, in an effort to be prepared, I have tried to order Pietta Paterson spare parts. IMO the Pietta Paterson may be on life-support since mainsprings and cylinder aren't in stock at VTI. These parts are also not in stock at Taylor's, but I think that Taylor has more clout than VTI with Pietta. While probably all backordered at Taylor, I ordered a replacement cylinder, hand, and all springs for the Pietta Paterson. It may take awhile for me to see those part, but probably worthwhile in the future.

Be Prepared.

Regards,
Richard