Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: How I make paper cartridges. A video  (Read 25101 times)

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How I make paper cartridges. A video
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2021, 12:27:13 PM »
Dave, never saw your video until today🤣 old post, I know, better late than never. Lol You did a great job on the video too. That’s my job for 40+ years now. Glad I finally got to see it. Now I must consider trying this for my first time. Thanks buddy👍 Tim

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2021, 01:30:37 PM »
Paper cartridges are nice to have. I find the process tedious but I may have to start rolling them again if I want to shoot any bp. It's a PITA to use loose components out of the trunk of a car.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2021, 04:21:21 PM »
I'm glad to see the video is still getting a little mileage. I'm glad it encourages folks to step out of the norm and experiment a little. I have found that making cartridges is a relaxing endeavor. And it makes things much easier at the range.

I know Blackie is considered by some, to be one of the experts. And he does know his stuff. But his little tubes don't really seem too much more handy than a flask and loose ball. It's all just packaged differently. You're still loading individual components, they're just carried in the same container. A paper cartridge is a self contained unit. Plop it in the chamber, ram it home, cap and fire. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I've fine-tuned my paper cartridges since I made that video. I now use a mandrel and former and eliminate the twisted paper at the top. It takes a little longer to make them, but they are much more streamlined and have less paper to deal with.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline AR. Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2021, 04:50:42 PM »
I intend to learn both but I also want some twisty one for when I buy/ build a display case for my Army. I think those in the pic up top look awesome as do the Colts.👍

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2021, 05:12:48 PM »
I intend to learn both but I also want some twisty one for when I buy/ build a display case for my Army. I think those in the pic up top look awesome as do the Colts.👍

Those were made by our good friend Len, across the Big Pond. The Colts are originals as well.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2021, 02:19:39 AM »
Great video Dave, did bring a tear to my eye seeing that you had ink in memorandum and tribute to my youngest.
Thanks.
(his name should be spelled with an "i" though? see what ya can do?)

All jesting aside, I'll try that. Every time I've attempted it, I've failed, miserably. They look like a "special education" version of what you turn out, thinking I could simplify the process I use a hollow sharpie barrel for the mandrel. Maybe the measurements aren't precise enough as far as tapered amount? Maybe the fact I can add the powder through the tube isn't the best way.
I tend to shoot in the 40-45 grain range, (Miss ya Johnny, every time I squeeze the trigger I think A: this isn't a mouse fart, and B: your coroner special has gotta be about like this), was that a homemade powder dipper, if so, what calibre was the shell casing? I've used .45LC, and .41 Special, and find both in the "right" grain range, but never completely satisfied with the end results.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2021, 12:50:04 PM »
Clyde, sorry to hear you've lost a child. That is not an easy thing to deal with. My ink is for my brother Tim, who we lost when he was 23 years old. It is 30 years ago this month in fact. I also have ink for my grandparents, whom I was very close to. Thanks for noticing.

As for your paper cartridges, I would suspect that the Sharpie barrel is too big in diameter. I haven't tried it, but that's my suspicion. Try a wooden dowel tapered to the dimensions I give in the video. If you have a drill press, it's easy to make the dowel.

My dipper is a 45 Colt case cut down to hold 30 grains. I just soldered a brass rod on the side of it to use as a handle. I also soldered up the primer pocket so as not to lose any powder. I also cut two other ones down for smaller weights. I have a 10 grain and a 5 grain. They come in handy sometimes.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2021, 06:23:24 AM »
oh, he's not lost... maybe poor word choice on my end. Let's just go with tribute. He's the favorite... This may mean he EVENTUALLY gets lost, in a "Coat of Many Colors" biblical sense, at the hands of his siblings... (7+"

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2021, 07:18:56 AM »
oh, he's not lost... maybe poor word choice on my end. Let's just go with tribute. He's the favorite... This may mean he EVENTUALLY gets lost, in a "Coat of Many Colors" biblical sense, at the hands of his siblings... (7+"

Clyde, does that mean he will most likely be dropped into a cistern in the desert, by his jealous siblings?  :lol-049:   L@J

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2021, 08:15:12 AM »

Thank goodness! I watched my mother deal with the loss of my brother. I wouldn't wish that anguish on my worst enemy.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2021, 05:21:38 PM »

Clyde, does that mean he will most likely be dropped into a cistern in the desert, by his jealous siblings?  :lol-049:   L@J
Solid daily fear...  (7+" (7+" f(*&
Damn, he's adorable.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2021, 05:56:33 PM »

Solid daily fear...  (7+" (7+" f(*&
Damn, he's adorable.
That’s too funny Clyde (7+".  Solid daily fear…  (7+". Yeah, he’s a handsome lil fella. Be a lady killer one of these days👍

Offline AR. Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2021, 07:12:50 AM »
I’m getting better at rolling them. I made a small adjustment to the dowel and it helped. I didn’t have a perfect taper. But slightly bulged in the middle. Now I have a nice even taper. 
I’m trying to use wads with these.  Not working well.
Gonna try to stick the wad (store bought not sticky) to the ball with bees wax/ crisco or something?

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2021, 12:30:13 PM »
Nice effort AR. Looking good. That will definitely go bang!

I use a small pair of tweezers to put the wad in. After I pour the powder in the tube, I just grab the wad with the tweezers and stuff it down on top of the powder. Then I just drop a ball in and twist up the top.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2021, 12:57:46 PM »
Thanks for the update and pictures. Tells a good story👍 😁