Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: How I make paper cartridges. A video  (Read 25112 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
How I make paper cartridges. A video
« on: February 16, 2019, 06:28:52 PM »
I know my way isn't historically correct, but it's easy and makes loading convenient. Hope it's helpful and you enjoy it.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 09:55:03 AM by Captainkirk »
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: How I make paper cartridges. A video
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 03:50:22 AM »
Hi Dave, that's a very informative video on how to make paper cartridges. I have tried making paper cartridges a number of times, but always fail to get good results. I don't know if it is just large thumbs, being a klutz. or just stupid is the reason. Your video gives me hope to try your method and get useful results. Thanks for the video.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 03:05:29 PM »
Thanks Richard. I hope it helps!

Believe me, I have big sausage fingers and I am able to do it. The wood mandrel really helps make it easier. Please let me know if you try it and how it works out.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline drobs

• Missouri & Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 07:10:18 PM »
Nice video. This is another thing on my to do list.
NRA Life Member

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 04:22:49 AM »
Hi Dave, what appeals to me about your method is that the paper doesn't need to be precut to a shape. Have you also made paper cartridges for your .36 revolvers? Other than the mandrel size, is anything else required? Do you use the same size paper?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 08:13:24 AM »
Nice video. This is another thing on my to do list.

Thanks drobs, I hope you find it helpful.

Hi Dave, what appeals to me about your method is that the paper doesn't need to be precut to a shape. Have you also made paper cartridges for your .36 revolvers? Other than the mandrel size, is anything else required? Do you use the same size paper?

Regards,
Richard

Richard, that's why I like this method as well. Most of the other methods floating around out there, require a pre-cut paper and end cap for the cartridge. Now I have to admit, they look fantastic. Neat and tidy. But this method functions just as well. And you could use a conical instead of a ball and it would work exactly the same.

For .36 caliber cartridges, the only difference is the mandrel. Besides the ball and wad size of course. I use the same paper and roll it exactly the same. The mandrel is sized as follows: The small end is .300" The taper runs up the dowel 1.15" and it's .380" diameter at that point. That makes a paper tube big enough for 20 grains of 3f powder and a wad plus the projectile. As with the .44 cartridge, you can leave the wad out if you don't desire it. The cartridge in this photo has no wad in it.

I've had zero problems with ignition of my cartridges. I'm sure that they rip open upon being rammed into the chamber, which fully exposes the powder to the ignition flash. I do get a few leftover ashes in the chambers sometimes. I believe it's the glue. If you put a little too much on the paper, it doesn't allow it to burn completely. I am going to experiment with some other glue, such as paste to try and eliminate leftovers in the chamber. But it's really not a big deal and it's not every shot. Most of the time they burn completely or the offending ash is blown out the barrel.

Hope that helps Richard.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 07:24:41 AM »
Hi Dave, thanks for the information. I don't have any correct diameter wood dowels, but do have brass rods that were used for the forms. This is a photo of the brass forms ready to go:

The wood form at the bottom was made for .44 caliber years ago. However, all I managed to do with it was to stick my fingers together. Maybe your method will work better for me.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 03:46:59 AM by ssb73q »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 09:54:41 AM »
Richard, I like the brass mandrels. I want to make a set of those myself. Just need to find the correct diameter brass. The wood mandrels do the job just fine, but eventually they're going to wear out. Well, not really wear out, but they will get glue on them and they are harder to clean than a brass one would be. Plus, the brass ones just look nicer.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 07:30:30 AM »
Hi Dave, I was successful using your method to make paper cartridges. Didn't even get glue on my fingers! These are the paper cones after forming:

These are the paper cartridges I made. I used my 30gr flask with Black Mz powder and cast 0.454" balls. No lube was used because Black Mz is supposed to make its own lube:

This photo shows the cartridges loaded into capandball's cartridge boxes:

The paper cartridges drop nicely into the chambers of my 1860's and should work well. However, I will probably never use them because I mostly shoot preloaded extra cylinders or conversion cylinder rounds.

I want to thank you for the information necessary for me to check making paper cartridges off my bucket list.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 03:49:25 AM by ssb73q »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 08:40:18 AM »
Well done Richard! Excellent work!

I'm glad I could help in some small way.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 11:34:20 AM »
Thank you for the kind words Scooby. They are greatly appreciated.

I have a mandrel made up, to construct my carts as you do. I really love the way they look. I just don't have any conicals to roll that way. I am going to get involved with casting my own very soon, and the Johnston and Dow mold is first on my list. We are currently living in an apartment, so I have been reluctant to dive into casting. But I have a nice patio with a generous sized storage closet that I've converted to my "gun room". My reloading equipment is now set up on a portable bench, so I am going to get everything together for casting and put it on my bench too. I've read many of your posts on paper cartridge making, and I'm going to get busy!
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 11:57:57 AM »
Do your casting outside. Ask me how I know... ;)
I enjoyed your video as well. You cut right to the chase and made it sweet and simple. I'm half tempted to give it a whirl myself, though I thoroughly enjoy loading on the bench. (My BP shooting range has very large loading tables available along with a bunch of loading stands for use at no charge)
Your method might be quite handy for woods-walking. I think I may give it a try.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 04:58:35 PM »
Thanks Capt. I appreciate it!

Thank you for the great offer Scooby. I would love some of those bullets to try. Please tell me what I owe you for some, and I'll gladly send some gold your way.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 09:14:35 AM »
Hmmm. Looks pretty much the same as the little tubes that some fellas use. They're put together with clear tubing available at Lowes and places like that. Same basic principle.

You still have to open the tube, squeeze out the contents, pour the powder, push in the wad, seat the bullet, then ram it all home. Still sounds like a lot more fiddling than just dropping in a paper cartridge and ramming it down. So to me, these aren't really a cartridge per se, more of convenient way to carry the components. But I will concede that humidity plays a part in whether a paper cartridge is best in any given situation.
-Abe Lincoln