Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Pedersoli Screw Barrel pistol  (Read 9178 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Pedersoli Screw Barrel pistol
« on: June 06, 2019, 04:31:09 AM »
Hi, while not a BP revolver, it is a BP pistol, the Pedersoli Screw Barrel. These small muff guns were very popular during the mid 1800s, one last chance to save one's life.

The only screw barrel pistol I have seen discussed on this message board is one that Krylandalian posted:
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=1926.msg33162#msg33162

The loading of a screw barrel pistol is interesting. No patches are used. The barrel is unscrewed, powder loaded in the receiver, a ball put on top of the powder, and then the barrel screwed back on.

I owned one of these screw barrel pistols back years ago when I was in the Navy. A shipmate sold me an old screw barrel pistol for something like $10. I shot it a number of times, but have long forgotten what happened to it.

Krylandalian's post sparked my interest again.

The only commercial replica screw barrel pistols I am aware of are the Pedersoli Screw Barrel pistols. They sell both a completed pistol and a pistol kit. I swore that I would never ever again do a firearm kit. However, this pistol kit just begs for nitre bluing since all the parts are small. This is the kit ordered:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/8502/category/327/category_chain/312,325,327/product_name/PH0545+Pedersoli+Screw+Barrel+Pistol+Kit

Does anyone else here own, or shoot, a screw barrel pistol?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Pedersoli Screw Barrel pistol
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 10:02:30 AM »
Hi, the Pedersoli Screw Barrel pistol just came in the door. My first impression is wow, it's really small. The barrel is only 2.375" long. Some reports suggest that the rifling has no twist, but is like the first invented antifouling grooves. Close inspection seems to show a very slow right hand twist. The tool that comes with the pistol engages the rifling to allow screwing on and seating the ball in the rifling as the barrel is screwed on. The parts:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 03:43:43 AM »
Hi Kry, since I intend on nitre bluing the screw barrel, all the small internal parts were removed. Nitre bluing would mess with springs temper if left assembled.

One think I am concerned about owning this screw barrel is that I haven't been able to find any place where parts can be purchased. Do you know of a Pedersoli screw barrel parts vendor?

Regards,
Richard

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 08:09:08 AM »
I had a Navy Arms screw-barrel a few years ago....traded it to Luke (Busy hands). I had never loaded the thing; I think it was in 36 caliber and only held maybe 15 grains. It was made in China! I have some original screw-barrel muff pistols, thought I had posted pictures, but if not, I will.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 09:47:18 AM »
A handy little back up to the Colt.

Myself, I like the 1st Model Dragoon! Nice little backup gun.

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 12:42:50 PM »

Does anyone else here own, or shoot, a screw barrel pistol?

Regards,
Richard

I have 3 originals but do not shoot them. One of them was loaded when I got it.
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Flinters are awesome!

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 06:58:02 AM »
I found one in a LGS a while back. Showed it to my wife, who promptly confiscated it as hers, since it was too cute for me to own. When I first got it, the trigger pull was horrendous. A little judicious filing fixed that. Now it's pleasant to shoot, though no target gun.

Here's a video of me shooting it before the trigger work...

I also have a "New Orleans Ace". Not a reproduction of any particular pistol, but it is a screw barrel pistol. It does have a ram rod, though I'm not sure why.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 10:28:25 AM »
Hi Electric, thanks for the video. That screw barrel seems to disappear in your large hands.

I finished sanding the grips of my Pedersoli screw barrel, stained it, and put the first coat of tung oil on the grips. Tomorrow I intend on polishing the screw barrel receiver in preparation for nitre bluing. Since the barrel is already blued, I will wait to see how the receiver turns out. The blued barrel has a rough finish, but that roughness may be useful for gripping the barrel when screwing on.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 02:21:50 PM »
Hi Electric, thanks for the video. That screw barrel seems to disappear in your large hands.

I finished sanding the grips of my Pedersoli screw barrel, stained it, and put the first coat of tung oil on the grips. Tomorrow I intend on polishing the screw barrel receiver in preparation for nitre bluing. Since the barrel is already blued, I will wait to see how the receiver turns out. The blued barrel has a rough finish, but that roughness may be useful for gripping the barrel when screwing on.

Regards,
Richard

My hand shaking int he video is from how hard I had to pull the trigger. That got fixed.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 05:07:41 PM »
What a cool little gun......Richard, I wish you'd stop finding this cool obscure stuff. For under $200 it's definitely on my list. Looks like a fun project.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 05:38:20 PM »
Richard, does the trigger snap down when you cock the gun? I made a brass tool for turning the barrel on and off on my originals, although I have an original bullet mold that has the "wrench" on the end of one of the handles. When I am up to it, I will post some pictures.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 05:40:23 PM by mazo kid »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 04:23:40 AM »
Hi mazo, the trigger drops down when the hammer is pulled to full cock.

The wood grip has been fitted, sanded, stained, and being tung oiled. This is the grip with two coats of tung oil, two more to go: The grip is rubbed down with 0000 steelwool between coats. The receiver will be buffing wheel polished using Flitz polish today. Maybe get to nitre blue the receiver tomorrow.

Regards,
Richard

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 03:52:48 PM »
Looking good sir!

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 04:07:05 PM »
Looking great Richard!
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 05:23:09 AM »
Hi, thanks for the nice comments. The metal parts of the screw barrel pistol were polished and then nitre blued. The blued photo doesn't do the color justice, it's has a very rich charcoal bluing look.

A third coat of tung oil was put on the grip. The grip looks pretty nice, I may not need a forth coat.

Regards,
Richard