Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Pedersoli flintlock shotgun  (Read 15214 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Pedersoli flintlock shotgun
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2019, 05:23:48 PM »
So far I've had good luck with Imgur.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2019, 07:16:48 AM »
Hi, as promised, photos of the Pedersoli Scout flintlock 12ga shotgun. The bird feeder platform that the shotgun is on will hold the clays thrower. One photo shows part of the back deck. The back yard from the deck goes 40yds to my pasture. Shooting from the deck will be fun and safe. It will be nice to not have to travel far to do shotgun shooting.

Regards,
Richard

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 03:40:51 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2019, 02:03:52 PM »
Richard, you are a lucky man. That is a fantastic spot to shoot from every day. If I had such a spot, you couldn't pry me away from it! I'd be shooting all day, every day!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2019, 02:26:45 PM »
Nice fowler and definitely a nice place.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2019, 02:41:17 PM »
Hi, gearing up to do some BP shotgun shooting from my house deck. I ordered this clay thrower:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FDSUI6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, supplies like cases of biodegradable clays, shot, wads, and 2f Olde Eynsford powder.

Shooting clays off my deck into the backyard should be a hoot, a sport of kings. Gotta love living in the country.

Regards,
Richard

Sorry, Richard, I am not impressed with that unit. It looks cheap. You will need a piece of rope to release the arm.

Read the reviews (42). It appears that customer service is just about non-existent.

Trius is a much better name and has been around for decades.

https://www.amazon.com/Trius-10205-Original-Trap/dp/B0000C53F4/ref=pd_cp_200_2?pd_rd_w=0h6QC&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=GH1F2RWYJGVCMACW0AHZ&pd_rd_r=e6276701-755c-4da7-8e5d-5539fa71bf74&pd_rd_wg=ULPE2&pd_rd_i=B0000C53F4&psc=1&refRID=GH1F2RWYJGVCMACW0AHZ

Jim
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 02:50:34 PM by sourdough »
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2019, 03:05:11 PM »
Hi Jim, I selected that thrower was because it appeared the easiest to bolt to my bird feeder platform. The trip lever appears to be easy to trip using only one person, the shooter. The thrower at the bird feeder platform height looks perfect for one person use.

Worst case, the unit fails to satisfy and I buy something else.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2019, 03:52:59 PM »
Richard,

I am only giving my $.02 worth because I want you to be a happy camper.

For two years ('69-'70) I worked at a commercial trap/skeet range (Roberts' Shooting Park Elkhorn NE) setting/pulling trap/skeet for $1.50/hr. We used Blue Rock (no longer made) and White Flyer clays. Champion also makes clays these days. I have no experience with Champion, but White Flyers were well-made clays. White Flyer also makes bio-degradable clays (for more money).  The older composition clays were toxic to hogs, but not to cattle.

I don't like the spring clip that fits over the dome while on the blade. When you load the trap, do it in the uncocked position, and cock it afterwards. It will save your fingers if there is an accidental release while doing so when cocked. We were taught very early to "swipe" the clay(s) onto the blade with the clay(s) shallowly cupped in the palm of the hand(s) over the dome of the clay, because one could never be sure when the puller would release the blade. Two hands were needed for doubles shooting. They were electric motorized traps which would reset/recock the blade immediately after release, and the blade mechanism would oscillate more than several degrees back and forth (to present the clays at different angles for the shooters) making it that much more tricky to load.

Check every clay before you place it on the blade. A good clay will have a dull "ring" sound when tapped against another clay. A cracked (even a hairline crack) clay will have a "clack" sound, and should be discarded. It's not fun to have one become clay "shrapnel" in your vicinity.

Good luck in your endeavor, sir!

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2019, 04:48:33 PM »
I had a Trius I bought in the 80's. It got stolen last year. It was a great thrower.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 03:54:54 AM »
Hi Jim, these are the cases of clays due to arrive soon:
https://www.cabelas.com/product/CHAMPION-BIOBIRD-CLAY-TARGETS/3368746.uts?slotId=1

The idea of biodegradable makes sense since shooting in the back yard. If manual tripping of the thrower becomes an issue, a solenoid with foot switch can be cobbled to the thrower.

The Pedersoli 12ga double kit is due tomorrow. I have been seeing reviews of the kit that the steel parts other than the barrels are in the white and need to be blued. That includes the percussion locks. My experience doing nitre blueing should come in handy. IMO nitre blued metal parts on the shotgun will have it look elegant.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2019, 10:17:27 AM »
Hi Jim, these are the cases of clays due to arrive soon:
https://www.cabelas.com/product/CHAMPION-BIOBIRD-CLAY-TARGETS/3368746.uts?slotId=1

The idea of biodegradable makes sense since shooting in the back yard. If manual tripping of the thrower becomes an issue, a solenoid with foot switch can be cobbled to the thrower.

The Pedersoli 12ga double kit is due tomorrow. I have been seeing reviews of the kit that the steel parts other than the barrels are in the white and need to be blued. That includes the percussion locks. My experience doing nitre blueing should come in handy. IMO nitre blued metal parts on the shotgun will have it look elegant.

Regards,
Richard

I agree Richard. That will look very elegant. I really want to nitre blue the barrel and cylinder on my G.U. project.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2019, 02:48:32 PM »
Hi, the double barrel Pedersoli percussion 12ga shotgun kit arrived today. The barrel is finished in a beautiful blue, but all the other metal parts are in the white. The metal part being in the white will let me sand the stock right up to the metal parts providing an excellent fit. IMO this will be a long term project to finish.

The clay thrower arrived yesterday and has been assembled. Kind of like an erector kit. You are old enough to know what an erector sets is, aren't you? In the next few days it will be mounted on my bird feeder platform and I'll take photos.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2019, 03:02:10 PM »
Great looking gun Richard. I can't wait to see how you finish it. I'm sure it will be spectacular.

And yes, I had an Erector Set when I was a kid. Wish I still had it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 08:41:28 PM by ShotgunDave »
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2019, 08:36:25 PM »
It looks good. I like the sling swivels. It looks beefier than mine but I guess being a kit you can lighten it up as much as you want. Mine weighs about five pounds and the barrels are too thin to thread for chokes. Not that I would want them choked.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2019, 08:11:13 AM »
Hi, the thrower has been bolted to the bird feeder platform. Two photos, the first with the thrower cocked. The second with the thrower fired. I will give the thrower a good dose of WD40 to help minimize corrosion and maybe cover it with a plastic garbage bag.

The cases of biodegradable clay birds are due to arrive today.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 09:15:17 AM by ssb73q »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2019, 09:41:41 AM »
Hi, sometimes things don't go well. One of the clay bird boxes arrived today and every bird in it is fractured to bits. What a mess in my dining room! Cabelas will refund my cost, but I really wanted the clays.

Looks like shotgun shooting will have to wait a few days.  K_) K_) K_)

Regards,
Richard