Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Pedersoli flintlock shotgun  (Read 15206 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Pedersoli flintlock shotgun
« on: August 12, 2019, 08:31:56 AM »
Hi, turned the money from my 1858 Carbine into a Pedersoli 12ga flintlock shotgun:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/9488/product_name/FS3031+PEDERSOLI+SCOUT+SHOTGUN+FLINT+12+GAUGE

I have always wanted a flintlock shotgun, but they were always too expensive for me. The price of this single shot seems fair and will give me some experience with a flintlock BP Fowler. Shooting Lee cast 12ga slugs should also be a hoot.

This shotgun is light weight, 5.5lbs. Light weight is appreciated at my old age.

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Pedersoli flintlock shotgun
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 10:07:11 AM »
Oh, sweet! &\?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 09:47:39 AM »
Hi, I turned the money from selling conversion cylinders into a Pedersoli 12 gauge double barrel kit:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/8619/product_name/PS0940+Pedersoli+Magnum+Double+Barrel+12+Guage+Shotgun+Kit

I like kits like the plague, but considering cost this looks like a path for a double percussion 12 gauge shotgun.

It's a Pedersoli, can I go wrong?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 10:16:55 AM »
Wow, even the kits are big money.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 11:57:01 AM »
If you are planning to shoot a cast slug from a 5-1/2 pound gun, your idea of "a hoot" is a bit different than mine!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 01:10:02 PM »
If you are planning to shoot a cast slug from a 5-1/2 pound gun, your idea of "a hoot" is a bit different than mine!

Hi mazo, recoil from one ounce of either shot or slug would be the same. I would rather have recoil kill me than any other thing. lol  What's nice about muzzleloaders is that one can control the amount of powder used.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 07:07:48 PM »
I've got a Pedersoli SXS 12 gauge and it's a hoot with a .690 ball and 100 grains of powder. :-*
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 10:30:58 AM »
Hi, the Pedersoli Scout 12ga flintlock shotgun arrived today. It lately seems that all new guns need work. The lock came to full cock only one time. After the first, each hammer pull back failed to lock up, the hammer dropped back to half cock. Okay, I have an extra Pedersoli lock so I installed it in the shotgun. No good, the trigger wouldn't release the lock. Inspection shows that the new lock has the sear with a step putting it closer to the trigger than my spare lock. So the shotgun lock was disassembled and internal parts stoned and lubed. That seemed to help where I can get the lock to stay put at full cock. Will it stay there? Only time will tell. I put antiseize on the barrel cleanout screw and vent hole.

Other than the lock issue, the shotgun is perfect in every other respect. Of course, it's a Pedersoli.

Regards,
Richard

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 07:57:18 PM »
well, take some pics.. i wanna see too...
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 05:54:45 AM »
Hi AG, Sorry, I'm no longer going to waste time posting photos to this message board that disappear in time. IMO valuable archives have been lost. Everything dies, guess that also applies to message boards.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 10:04:25 AM »
Hi, gearing up to do some BP shotgun shooting from my house deck. I ordered this clay thrower:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FDSUI6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, supplies like cases of biodegradable clays, shot, wads, and 2f Olde Eynsford powder.

Shooting clays off my deck into the backyard should be a hoot, a sport of kings. Gotta love living in the country.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 10:55:57 AM »
That should be a blast Richard (literally speaking). I do hope you share your experiences with the Pedersoli.

All the stuff you sold me in now in the hands of some very grateful cowboys. If you ever come to Tombstone, you'll be able to see some of it in action...
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 11:39:47 AM »
Hi AG, Sorry, I'm no longer going to waste time posting photos to this message board that disappear in time. IMO valuable archives have been lost. Everything dies, guess that also applies to message boards.

Regards,
Richard

Maybe so but we could still enjoy seeing them in the here and now.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 12:32:14 PM »

Regards,
Richard

That would be a shame. I have always enjoyed and admired your pictures Richard. I post elsewhere that we need to get you guys up to speed on posting pictures. If you use a stable hosting site, there won't be a problem. The pictures all be here forever. If you use something like Photobucket or attachments, those aren't stable. Get a free Flickr account and post pictures from there. Simple copy and paste operation. Flickr doesn't watermark the pics and you get storage for 1000 pictures for free. And no ads popping up all over while you're manipulating your pictures.

So please, don't abandon picture posting. It's really easy, and enhances this site that you love so much. Because I KNOW you love it.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2019, 03:35:11 PM »
Hi Dave, I started with Photobastards, then Flickrcrap, and they all lost my photos. I finally thought I had success posting as attachments. So much for expectations.

Tomorrow I'll post some attachment photos of the flintlock shotgun.

Regards,
Richard