Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Pedersoli flintlock shotgun  (Read 15220 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Pedersoli flintlock shotgun
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2019, 09:47:54 AM »
Well that's a real bummer. At least they'll refund your money.

Can you get them locally? I'm pretty sure Walmart still sells them. At least they do around here.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2019, 08:33:09 AM »
Hi Dave, you were right, Walmart has biodegradable clays for $6.88/90 box. I bought four boxes. The Cabelas clays were $9.99/90 box. Good to know that I can always get the clays nearby for less money than Cabelas.

If the weather is good I will set up the throwing position of the thrower tomorrow. I'm new to this shotgun clay's stuff so I will set up a high, directly away, from me throw. That should give me the best chance of hitting any. The flintlock ignition delay time will add some spice to this sport.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2019, 09:02:42 AM »
That's great news Richard. Cheaper and no shipping. I'd call that a win!

You are going to have your hands full, operating the thrower and a flintlock. I wish you had a way to video yourself while doing it. Can't wait to hear how it goes. Should be a lot of fun!!!
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2019, 06:30:39 AM »
Hi, the thrower was set up to throw clays directly out from me. The throws appear very reproducible from throw to throw. The clays travel 40yds from the thrower. I could probably get another 10yds by elevating the thrower some more, but the 40yds is pretty good. I measured out powder (60gr Olde Eynsford 2f) and shot (1oz Ballistics products #5) into small half ounce plastic containers. The container has a snap cap closure. A Pachmayr Decelerator was put on the 5.5lb 12ga shotgun just in case mazo is correct and that I would shoot my teeth loose with such a light shotgun. This is the Decelerator:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1115184314

I have a roll of paper arriving today for patterning the shotgun:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NFFXNFJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Patterning  comes tomorrow.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2019, 11:14:42 AM »
A Pachmayr Decelerator was put on the 5.5lb 12ga shotgun just in case mazo is correct and that I would shoot my teeth loose with such a light shotgun.

Not unless you're recoil sensitive. My 12 gauge SXS weighs around the same, maybe a little less. I want to say it weighs five pounds even but it's been awhile since I weighed it. It will let you know it's there with 80 grains of Swiss 2F and an equal amount of #7 1/2 shot by volume but it's not punishing by any means.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2019, 05:35:04 PM »
Not unless you're recoil sensitive. My 12 gauge SXS weighs around the same, maybe a little less. I want to say it weighs five pounds even but it's been awhile since I weighed it. It will let you know it's there with 80 grains of Swiss 2F and an equal amount of #7 1/2 shot by volume but it's not punishing by any means.

It all depends upon stock fit. If the stock has a large drop at the heel (3"+) it's going to come up and hit you in the cheek, no matter the cheek weld. My Dad had a Fox Sterlingworth 20 gauge with a 3-1/4" drop and it was a veritable pain to shoot. The less drop at the heel equates to more recoil into the shoulder rather than the face, and the gun will come back under recoil easier to manage.

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2019, 07:14:39 AM »
Hi, I paterned the Pedersoli Scout flintlock 12ga shotgun. 48" wide paper was suspended between the paper roll and 3" diameter mailing tube, see the photo. The shotgun was fired a number of times 30yds from the paper target. Both compressed fiber wads and plastic shot cups were used. Since the barrel is cylinder bored, the shot spread was wide, however most shots had at least 3-4 shot holes in the target 4" center. All the fiber wad shots were consistent, the plastic shot cups showed variable results. Some of the shot cup shots had a tight centered group, tighter than using the fiber wads. However a couple of the shot cup shots showed a pattern like a donut, shot holes missing in the center. In the future I will only use the fiber wads. The second photo shows the loadings. First powder (60gr), then a 1/8" powder wad, then either the shot cup or 1/2" fiber wad, then the shot (1oz), and then the thin shot cover wad.

Felt recoil was minimal, however I was using the Pachmayr Decelerator slipped on the stock butt. One could shoot the shotgun all day without fatigue. Flintlock ignition was instantaneous with no fails to fire.

I think If I was hunting with this shot gun, I would limit my shots to ~20yds or so using the loadings tested.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2019, 07:51:23 AM »
Sounds like pretty good results. I hope you're as happy with the Pedersoli as Suzanne is with the carbine. I don't think she's even put it down since she got it.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2019, 10:08:23 AM »
You can tighten patterns by using more shot than powder or open up a pattern by using more powder than shot. You can also make a paper shot cup that works better than plastic.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Gray Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2019, 06:08:15 PM »
You can also try working up to an 80 grain powder with 1 1/8 oz load and see if the patterns improve.  Of course with a little varying of the powder and shot ratios you have a pretty good bunny busting and close rising quail gun as it is.  GF

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2019, 06:15:40 PM »
I like to use 70-80 grains ffg, light over powder card, ~1/2" lubed felt wad, shot cup made from file folder stock, filled with equal volume of shot, then light over shot card. Plastic shot cups are too loose in the bore of ML guns, and can cause plastic fouling.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2019, 09:27:54 AM »
Hi guys, thanks for all the suggestions, they are very much appreciated and very helpful. I decided to load more than 1oz of shot in the 12ga shotguns in the future and ordered a shot bag that will throw 1.25 or 1.5oz of shot, the English version:

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/100/1/FLASK-ENG-S

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2019, 08:17:00 AM »
Hi, the fall of my discontent has begun. I hate kits and always prefer buying firearms already assembled and finished. Sometimes a budget interferes with the purchase of a finished firearm where the kit is the only economical choice. I have started work on the Pedersoli 12ga double percussion shotgun kit. This is the kit:
https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/8619/category_id/324/category_chain/312,322,324/product_name/PS0940+Pedersoli+Magnum+Double+Barrel+12+Guage+Shotgun+Kit

The ram rod, sling post, barrel, and locks have been removed from the stock. All the other metal parts installed on the stock will be left on so that the wood can be sanded down to those steel parts. This should provide a perfect fit of metal parts to the stock wood. Pedersoli supplies a bag of extra blued screws to be used for final assembly. All the metal parts including the screws installed will be sanded down with the stock wood. That will remove any bluing from the installed screws. Since I intend on nitre bluing all the metal parts, I will also nitre blue the sanded and polished screws and other polished metal parts. All the metal parts except the trigger guard and butt plate will fit in my Lee 20lb niter bluing pot. The trigger guard and butt plate will require nitre bluing in a longer tank, experimentation will be required. The lock plates are already nicely color case hardened and will be left as is. The roughed detail of the wood stock is excellent and only require minimal sanding. The stock will then be stained and Tung Oiled for the finish.

The pain begins.  ;) ;) ;)

Regards,
Richard

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2019, 08:21:53 AM »
Sounds like you have a lot of "fun" ahead of you Richard!

We'll be watching!
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2019, 09:58:32 AM »
Richard;
You, sir, are a glutton for punishment. J*j