Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Making Faux Ivory Grips  (Read 11113 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Making Faux Ivory Grips
« on: September 29, 2019, 03:52:30 PM »
I've had this project rattling around in my head for a while, so I decided to get going on it. Many of us love Ivory grips, but the cost is prohibitive  (at least for me) so I had an idea for an alternative. I'm going to make them from urethane resin. I used to make slot car bodies from resin, so I'm very familiar with the process. Here's where I am right now.

The first thing I'll need is a master to make the mold from. So I took the grips off one of my Pietta 1860 Army's to use. Here it is with the silicone mold material.

Speaking of the silicone, this is a high strength, high tearing point silicone. It's made just for mold making. It is very pliable once it's set, so you can manipulate the mold to remove the casting.It works very well, and you can get 75-100 casts out of it before it starts to degrade. I've used it many times in the past.

Next step is to prepare the master and make a mold box. I cut the grip in half, right down the center of the block. This will allow the grips to be cast in two pieces and fit to the gun. Then it's a simple matter of gluing the two halves together in the center. Super easy.

The mold box is just made of cardboard with 3M tape covering it. This tape is used on A/C ductwork and is made of a mylar type material. It's waterproof, so it will keep the silicone from soaking into the cardboard while it cures. I used a cheapo hot glue gun to seal the edges of the cardboard box. That will keep the silicone in the box where it belongs.

All that's left is to mix and pour the silicone into the mold box. Just pour slow to eliminate any air bubbles and to allow the silicone to get into every nook and cranny.

That's it for today. Have to allow 24 hours for the silicone to fully cure. After that, I'll deconstruct the box, remove the grips and the mold is ready for casting. I'll cast a couple sets of the grips tomorrow. So stay tuned.

The urethane resin I use, is very dense. Once cured, it can be cut, grinded on, sanded, polished drilled, even tapped. It's very good stuff. It has the right look for ivory too. It's not stark white, but a mellow very light tan color. It can also be dyed, so I could mellow the grips even more.

Once it's mixed, it cures in about 5 minutes. it's FAST. You'll see the results tomorrow!!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
Re: Making Faux Ivory Grips
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 05:11:25 PM »
This will be interesting to see.  Great project

If you want the color darker will you dye the grips after they are made or do you make shade changes to the urethane resin before it goes into the mold?

« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 05:13:55 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 06:13:16 PM »
Gee whiz, Dave. You could have at least used a grip that had quarter sawn wood to cut up instead of some figured grip!

LOL!

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 06:27:49 PM »
This will be interesting to see.  Great project

If you want the color darker will you dye the grips after they are made or do you make shade changes to the urethane resin before it goes into the mold?

Thanks G Dog. I could do it either way. They make dye that goes into the mix before you pour it. I used it when making tires for the slot cars. Just add black dye to the rubber. It works the same for the resin. A few drops will drastically change the color. I'll eventually try it that way too.

Gee whiz, Dave. You could have at least used a grip that had quarter sawn wood to cut up instead of some figured grip!

LOL!

Jim

I knew you'd be disappointed that I cut the nice wood grip in half. But rest assured my friend, a little glue and it will be as good as new!
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 06:52:49 PM »
This is fascinating!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 04:43:28 AM »
And I thought I was the only one doing this...…

Great tip on using that silver 3M tape.

Also you could just drill two holes and put a screw and nut on your grips.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 09:02:31 AM »
And I thought I was the only one doing this...…

Great tip on using that silver 3M tape.

Also you could just drill two holes and put a screw and nut on your grips.

It's fun isn't it Mad Dog?  &\?

You could drill holes and use an escutcheon on the grips, like a Remington. But I prefer the looks of them without the screw.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 09:50:41 AM by ShotgunDave »
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 09:27:23 AM »
I moved on to phase 2 of the project this morning. It's time to pour some resin!

First I deconstructed the mold box and removed the now cured molds. Then of course, removed the masters from the mold. All pretty simple and straight forward.

That's it. The molds are ready to use. The material I use doesn't require a release agent or anything. So it's ready to go. This is the resin that I use. It's a very fast curing urethane. Mix it 1:1 and be ready to pour right away! It only lasts about 5 minutes before it starts to kick off.

Here it is right after the pour. It's a translucent brownish color when first mixed. It starts to turn the off white/tan color as it kicks off. You can see it in the picture. This is about 30 seconds after I poured it in the mold. It's fast! And by the way, it gets really HOT! It cures through chemical reaction, so there's lots of heat. Be careful not burn your hands.

This is about 15 minutes after pouring. You can leave them in for as long as you want. I like to pull them out when they're still a little warm so the urethane is a little pliable. That way, I can trim any flash off and remove any material I need to for fitment. it's much easier to cut on when it's soft. Once it cures completely, it's hard as a rock. Plus, with the parts a little pliable, I can put them in place on the gun, and they will conform to the shape for perfect fitment.

And here's a couple shots of the grips in place. They're just sitting on the gun at this point. But all that is needed is to sand the center block down for perfect fit, then just use Super Glue to put them together. After that, you remove them just like any other one piece Colt grip.

I think they look pretty good. At least as good as some I've seen for sale for upwards of $100 on places like eBay and GB. And I have the satisfaction of saying I made them myself.

This was the first set out of the mold, and they have a few small voids at the bottom corner at the tip of the grip, and the edge of the left grip, visible in the above photo. I got in a hurry this morning and didn't "burp" the mold. You need to tap lightly around the edge with the liquid in the mold, to help get any air bubbles out. I neglected to do that, and the air settled in the corner and around the edge. I won't forget anymore.

Once fully cured, you can do a lot with this material. You can sand it to make it fit perfectly. You can even polish it. So you could sand with fine paper to remove any imperfections and then polish them. Or you can carve on them, or dye them. It's endless. I'm probably going to make some that look like stag. It will be fairly easy to carve out some sections and then stain it. I also want to try and carve on the grips like Colt offered. Something like the Mexican eagle or a bar room nude. We'll see how that goes.

I hope you enjoyed my little project!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 09:53:37 AM by ShotgunDave »
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 10:16:29 AM »
OK, color me impressed as hell. &\?
You wouldn't by chance be thinking of selling some of these, would you?
How about for Remmies as well?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 10:18:59 AM by Captainkirk »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 10:22:39 AM »
OK, color me impressed as hell. &\?
You wouldn't by chance be thinking of selling some of these, would you?
How about for Remmies as well?

Thanks Capt. I appreciate it.

I would sell some, if anyone even wanted them.

I have thought about doing Remington's as well. I just don't have one to pull the grips off and make the mold from. I was also going to do the other models as well. Uberti and Pietta Army's and Navy's. I have some of each, so I wanted grips for them too.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 10:27:44 AM »
I have a project Remmy that has mismatched grips that are too small. Probably any standard Remmy grips would fit and be sized down for a perfect match to the gun.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 10:40:22 AM »
I have a project Remmy that has mismatched grips that are too small. Probably any standard Remmy grips would fit and be sized down for a perfect match to the gun.

I see grips for them on eBay and GB a lot. I'll keep my eye out for a cheap set to use as the master.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 10:54:30 AM »
Thanks, Dave. I like the ivory look on your Army as well. Everyone oughta have at least one pimp gun. ;)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 11:35:51 AM »
...........Everyone oughta have at least one pimp gun. ;)

Absolutely!!!! &*J
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2019, 02:57:09 PM »
Nice job on the grips Dave.    I have done some casting with Armalite resin too.   Mostly for knife handles.    I use the slower setting resin which allows the bubbles time to dissipate before they become trapped.