Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: I purchased a new toy.  (Read 8264 times)

Offline OldFrenchy

• View Profile
I purchased a new toy.
« on: September 20, 2021, 03:05:20 PM »
I have been much impressed by the accuracy of my .25 cal Benjamin Marauder, so much so that I have followed the development of the newer semi-auto Marauder (only available in .22 cal). I finally bit the pellet, so to speak, when Midway offered a good discount on the newer second gen semi-auto (and free shipping!).
I intend to eventually purchase a  night vision scope that would be interchangeable with some of my bigger rifles. I think this semi-auto rifle would be a hoot to shoot rats with at night.
The only problem that I have encountered is that Midway will not ship night vision equipment to Commiefornia.
We will be moving to a more sensibly American State in the coming new year, so I guess I'll just have to put that on hold.
In the meantime, testing this gun reveals consistent shot velocity at around 870fps from the factory, uning 14.3 grain domed pellets. I shoot around 40-50 shots before recharging the gun.
And yes, the semi-auto feature works without a hitch.
Very impressed.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: I purchased a new toy.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 03:41:43 PM »
That's a good looking rifle Frenchy. I've been trying to talk myself into buying one myself.

I've been watching videos of a couple different people who are "hunting" Iguanas down in Florida. They are very invasive, and apparently it's legal to shoot them with pellet guns. They use various types of semi-auto rifles, and I think I might have to get one.

How do you recharge it? Do you have a Co2 tank?
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 04:29:59 PM »
GEEZ!!! 727.00 for an air gun????? :jawdrop1:
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline OldFrenchy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 06:21:30 PM »
I got it for $580 on sale at Midway, free shipping. I scored on the Gen 2 .25 cal Marauder, with scope, for $350 from Cabela's a year ago.

I agree it seems steep, but these guns are very powerful in their own right, depending on caliber. In the world of PCP airguns, $600 is at the low end. You also have to factor in a high pressure air tank with which to fill it unless you want to try to pump it up with a hand pump (I'm too old, don't have that kind of spare time lol).
Check out some of the videos of people hunting with these guns. It is impressive.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 07:21:30 PM »
And, they are quiet! Squirrels and crows, beware!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 08:06:39 PM »
I got it for $580 on sale at Midway, free shipping. I scored on the Gen 2 .25 cal Marauder, with scope, for $350 from Cabela's a year ago.

I agree it seems steep, but these guns are very powerful in their own right, depending on caliber. In the world of PCP airguns, $600 is at the low end. You also have to factor in a high pressure air tank with which to fill it unless you want to try to pump it up with a hand pump (I'm too old, don't have that kind of spare time lol).
Check out some of the videos of people hunting with these guns. It is impressive.

How much pressure does it take? I've got an air compressor.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline OldFrenchy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 05:59:48 AM »

How much pressure does it take? I've got an air compressor.
It takes up to 3000psi before the gauge hits the red. The gun is regulated so it gives a consistent shot string for the first 40-50 shots until at about 2000psi the velocity starts to drop off. I usually recharge it from a tank when it goes below 2000psi.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 07:23:51 AM »
     I remember way back in the early 70s a friend of mine had a "Benjamin Pump" 22 cal pellet rifle. It was beautiful. Handed down to hime from is much older brother. I was jealous. I had a Daisy 177 cal that had nowhere near the power of that Benjamin!! fast forward. About 6 years ago my father in law gave me a pump pellet gun. I think it might be Chinese made? The ill-constructed stock looks as if it was most likely poured and cast in a mold then painted in a horrible color. Surprisingly, it's pretty powerful. Shocked me.   :eek:

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 07:34:26 AM »
     I remember way back in the early 70s a friend of mine had a "Benjamin Pump" 22 cal pellet rifle. It was beautiful. Handed down to hime from is much older brother. I was jealous. I had a Daisy 177 cal that had nowhere near the power of that Benjamin!! fast forward. About 6 years ago my father in law gave me a pump pellet gun. I think it might be Chinese made? The ill-constructed stock looks as if it was most likely poured and cast in a mold then painted in a horrible color. Surprisingly, it's pretty powerful. Shocked me.   :eek:

A buddy of mine had one in the late 60's. I had a couple of Crossman 760's with wood stocks and rifled barrels.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 07:52:07 AM »

A buddy of mine had one in the late 60's. I had a couple of Crossman 760's with wood stocks and rifled barrels.

Dang Hawg.. I led a sheltered life ^j)

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 08:07:14 AM »

My dad bought me a Browning SA when I was three. I had a Daisy Cub when I was five. I got my first .22 revolver for my tenth birhday.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 08:47:06 AM »

My dad bought me a Browning SA when I was three. I had a Daisy Cub when I was five. I got my first .22 revolver for my tenth birhday.

You had a good childhood it sounds  L@.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2021, 08:48:34 AM »

You had a good childhood it sounds  L@.

In some ways. In others not so much.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 10:19:40 AM »
I have a Benjamin Marauder, bought it from "DD4life" a few years ago.  He sold it with the high pressure hand pump and a scope. It is also in 22 caliber. The pump has only been used ONCE to pump up the rifle! I am also old and have an arthritic back. I need to have a younger friend come out to pump the rifle up again.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2021, 11:59:27 AM »

Seems like I remember that Benjamin Pump had a long wooden pump handle. I looked up the Crossman and it too has the long handle. Wonder if that's what he might have had. the years taking a toll on my memory.  :'(