Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Making your own powder  (Read 8859 times)

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
Re: Making your own powder
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2022, 10:35:19 AM »
I just returned from the range.  I had very effective use of the homemade powder and percussion caps. I very pleased with the results. I fired first 6 rounds with my powder using about 18 grns of what looks like fff as that is all ive made. The homemade percussion caps made from red ring caps worked well with the first 12 shots. I used about 30 grns for the second 6 rounds. Mostly no failure to shoot. The percussion caps used red ring caps for a charge. I did use one cap with roll caps just to see how it would do. It worked ok but I had a limited number of those. The failure came from the red ring caps because they force red plastic debris into the touch hole. I needed a pin to clear the channel. But even with that I had only two "failures" that I resolved by use of two commercial Remington #10 caps. The homemade percussion caps fired a round of Pyrodex 30 gr powder pellets,

« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 10:42:12 AM by DragoonRick »

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2022, 11:36:53 AM »
Fantastic Rick!! Wow, sounds like a good time was had and all in all a successful outing. It must be a good feeling to know that you have become, to a degree, self sufficient.  :usa-flag-89: I am very happy to hear that. It's encouraging to know that if someone wishes to, they can follow your instruction and do the same. Thank you once again for the details. Tim 

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2022, 01:13:58 PM »

My demonstration of caps and powder!

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2022, 05:40:02 AM »
QUESTION
  HAVE ANY OF YOU BEEN ABLE TO SEE THIS VIDEO?
  I’m having some issues with YouTube

Rick

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2022, 05:53:53 AM »
Rick. Yes I have seen it. Thank you for posting it. I didn’t realize that you had a Remington. 👍👍 I’m glad that you repositioned the camera after the first shot. It’s tough to try and shoot and position or frame the camera all by yourself?

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2022, 06:38:20 AM »
Zulch,

I have not been able to see the video on my "pad" due to some restriction.

as to revolvers I have two Rimingtons made in 1974 by Euroarms, two Armi San Marco #2 dragoons and a Pietta 1858 brassier that really does not count as authentic. 

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2022, 06:49:29 AM »
   Thanks,
  The video shows that the powder and caps function.  I have had difficulty getting them to work at other time. The key is to have the gun clean, clear of oil and the touch hole open. I also found that the roll caps work very will. One of the first 6 rounds was primed with paper roll caps. There was no obvious difference in function.   But the roll caps are cleaner and leave less residue in the nipples.
   This simply made powder worked very well.  It does not need extra tooling and processing as described by some powder hobbyist.  My powder is not as dense or granulated as commercial powder. It is more like 3f grade. It works with some compression.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 07:03:02 AM by DragoonRick »

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2023, 07:50:56 PM »
I used my powder at the range bout a month ago.  It’s been sitting around for a year. It functioned very well in a Pietta 1858. The same batch you see in the photos in this thread.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2023, 09:16:28 PM »
I tried red strip caps with 2F Swiss and Pyrodex. They're the same as the ring caps but in a strip. The successful firing rate was 0%. I added two spots from German made roll caps and it brought the success rate up to 60% Oddly enough the success rate was the same with Pyrodex and Swiss both. I would have thought the Swiss would have done better.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2023, 05:21:10 AM »
I used my powder at the range bout a month ago.  It’s been sitting around for a year. It functioned very well in a Pietta 1858. The same batch you see in the photos in this thread.
That's great news Rick. Thank you for the update. I have forgotten how many pounds of BP that you made?

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2023, 09:35:55 AM »
I made about 2 1/2 lbs.  in the mean time we have moved to a new house.  Powder making and use has been on the back burner. I had moderate success with the home made caps, with home made powder. About 50%.  I will either open the touch hole up with a drill bit, or put a little powder in the cone before capping them. Haven't tried that. The German role caps never failed to pop.  Just not enough fire to ignite the powder.

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2023, 07:30:09 PM »
 I saw an interesting YouTube of a guy who used tollliit paper for charcoal  For his  powder with good results.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2023, 07:47:24 PM »
I saw an interesting YouTube of a guy who used tollliit paper for charcoal  For his  powder with good results.

Do tell! Can you link us?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2023, 07:12:32 AM »
  Check out Willam McBain’s  YouTube “Everything Blackpowder”. Lots if we’ll presented information.
“Toilet paper. Makes the best black powder”

Rick
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 07:23:07 AM by DragoonRick »

Offline WECSOG

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2023, 10:31:56 PM »