Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: .22 LR SA Ruger Bearcat  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: .22 LR SA Ruger Bearcat
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2023, 09:35:57 AM »
I had a beautiful little Bearcat, once upon a time. I carried it when I went hunting. I love that thing. Wish I still had it.

You have a great little pistol there Tim. Made even better because it was your Dad's.
Thanks Dave. It is a nice small revolver.

6 shot or 9?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2023, 09:54:07 AM »
The Bearcat is SMALL. It only holds 6. They're really a pocket pistol size.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2023, 01:15:44 PM »
The Bearcat is SMALL. It only holds 6. They're really a pocket pistol size.

That's right, 6 shot. :usa-flag-89:

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2023, 02:35:00 PM »
When I'm on rattle snake detail in Tombstone....My buddies Bearcat is my weapon of choice. I could just use the shovel, but it's not nearly as much fun.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2023, 08:28:46 AM »
So this is the chart I found on the internet. My gun does not have the 91- before the serial number 61740. What say anyone?

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2023, 10:44:09 AM »
Unless I'm mistaken the Super Bearcat had the 91 prefix.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline tinhorn

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2023, 01:04:52 PM »
Yup, that's my understanding.

All I know about Bearcats is what I read on Wikipedia. VERY interesting story about why it was dropped in '74.

When the missus said she'd get her License to Carry, I started shopping for a .22 single action for her. Tried a Single Six and a Wrangler. They were okay but she wasn't enthused. I remembered seeing the smaller Bearcat decades ago and bought one. She loves it—good weight and balance, and perfect grip size for her. Problem was, I was liking it, too, and wanted one for myself.

Found a Super Bearcat on GB, seller had thousands of feedback with A+ rating, gun was described as excellent condition, so I bought it. When we opened the box my receiving FFL said, “This gun has problems.” I sent it to Ruger for the safety upgrade and they responded that the gun was beyond repair but they'd happily replace it with a new one. They even upgraded to a stainless model! I had to wait several months but my wife now has a stainless Bearcat with pearl Altamont grips.

Well, not wanting to wait for the replacement I bought another one to shoot. When we opened THIS box my FFL said, “It's never even been turned.” Sheesh—I wanted a shooter, not a collector item. Apparently the seller's father had bought it in the 70's, stuck it in the safe, then passed it on to his son nearly 50 years later. I can't bring myself use it.

So I had to buy another one, properly scarred and properly maintained. It's a sweetie.

Interesting that my 1849 Wells Fargo drops right into Bearcat holsters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Bearcat

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2024, 07:45:50 PM »
“When the missus said she'd get her License to Carry, I started shopping for a .22 single action for her.”

Tinhorn, that seems a very unusual category choice for a ladies carry piece - or for anyone.  Why .22 and why single action?  Sure, something is always better than nothing but that combo could create more problems than it may solve.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2024, 11:29:07 PM »
I agree with G Dog. A .22 SA is not a good carry choice unless you have one and can't get anything else. Even then it's not a good choice. It just is what it is. My wife had weak hands and wrists from carpal tunnel surgery but she could handle a .38 special or a 9MM. She could even shoot a mag or so out of a .45 ACP 1911 before her wrists started to hurt. She went through a few 9 mils before she decided on a S&W 637 for a carry gun. I did have to change the grips before she could shoot it without a glove because the frame is aluminum. She didn't have any problems with a steel frame.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline tinhorn

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2024, 02:21:02 PM »
"License to Carry" is the state-required permit to own a firearm. Or ammo. Believe it not, even to possess an empty shell. She doesn't carry or I would be looking at little .38s.

I selected a single action for simplicity; .22 so she wouldn't be put off by noise and recoil. Baby steps. So far I think I've been correct--she's still put off by my .22 magnums. Don't want to spook her.