Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Spring?  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Re: Spring?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2024, 07:20:08 AM »
The replacement nipples I installed were some I ordered from DD4lifeUSMC several years ago.   Capt. Kirk, Hawg, Len and a few others here remember him.   He was a seller of BP supplies and a friend of mine.   The nipples were from Butler Creek Muzzle Loading. The package  description said 6 x.75 Stainless Steel Nipple.    They should have worked but nothing is ever guaranteed.

Marshal,    I have seen people put a wood dowel in the magazine tube to keep the follower away from your hand.   First time I've heard of someone going to the trouble of machining an aluminum follower.
Yeah, that aluminum follower does look like it's overkill. A wooden dowel with a pin to keep it from going into the lifter would work as well.

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2024, 08:14:55 AM »
FWIW Slix Shot replacement nipples tend to be a tad longer than stock.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2024, 09:21:13 AM »

Yes,  I've experienced that in the past.   I am hoping to find long enough nipples that take Remington #11 caps.  It looks like several vendors are sold out.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2024, 09:58:40 AM »
Thanks Navy Six. I did not realize there were different variations of overall lengths from cones to cones.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2024, 11:01:00 AM »
The replacement nipples I installed were some I ordered from DD4lifeUSMC several years ago.   Capt. Kirk, Hawg, Len and a few others here remember him.   He was a seller of BP supplies and a friend of mine.

I remember DD44life quite well. I bought quite a few muzzle loading supplies from him. He was a gentleman and worked to keep his presence online private.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2024, 11:33:08 AM »
The replacement nipples I installed were some I ordered from DD4lifeUSMC several years ago.   Capt. Kirk, Hawg, Len and a few others here remember him.   He was a seller of BP supplies and a friend of mine.

I remember DD44life quite well. I bought quite a few muzzle loading supplies from him. He was a gentleman and worked to keep his presence online private.

Yep,  he's probably lookin down laughing that he still is giving me a hard time from beyond the grave.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2024, 12:11:48 PM »
I remember DD well. He was a good and kind man. He gave me a gun and some other stuff and I bought a gun and some other stuff from him.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2024, 04:05:23 PM »
Mike, another option may be CCI #11 caps. Yes I know they aren't the preferred Remingtons. However, CCI always used more priming compound (compared to Remington)which made the cap sit a bit higher on the cone. That might be enough to take up the slack. At least up till the covid issues hit that's how they were made. BTW, those were funny looking cones on the Navy. Hard for me to tell from a picture, but I've never run across straight sided cones as you described. At least not on any revolver.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2024, 04:20:46 PM »
I dislike Remington caps and always use CCI unless I just can't find any. CCI fit stock nipples tighter and have to be pressed on harder. Sometimes after firing they don't come apart and get practically welded to the nipple and it will take a pocket knife to get them off.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2024, 05:41:58 PM »
Mike, another option may be CCI #11 caps. Yes I know they aren't the preferred Remingtons. However, CCI always used more priming compound (compared to Remington)which made the cap sit a bit higher on the cone. That might be enough to take up the slack. At least up till the covid issues hit that's how they were made. BTW, those were funny looking cones on the Navy. Hard for me to tell from a picture, but I've never run across straight sided cones as you described. At least not on any revolver.

Thanks for the advice Navy Six.  I have about 1000 CCI #11 caps as well as all the other brands and sizes including RWS.  I can't find any that fit the old nipples or any that will fire on the new nipples.   CCI #11 fit the new nipples fine but are too short for the hammer to strike them.  I did some measuring today and am researching the height of various nipples. There is .031 difference in the height of the original nipples and the new ones I installed.    I had no idea there were so many different lengths of the nipples on the market today.   Some I think are designed for single shot pistols and are too short for revolvers with limited hammer travel.   I'll keep at it until i find some kind of solution or explanation.