Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: My Range  (Read 23679 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: My Range
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 11:26:12 AM »
No more paper for your rifle shooting,  that's great.   I hate shooting paper but sometimes it's necessary.    You have a great set up there Richard.   We'd like to see some photos of the new steel after you put some use on them.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2016, 11:32:23 AM »
Hi, the 4" steel gongs at my steel target range:

I haven't shot them yet with high power rifle, but they have been peppered a lot with C&B revolvers.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2016, 01:45:21 PM »
Nice set up Richard,    I'll bet your son-in-law loves coming out there to shoot.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 05:17:59 AM by mike116 »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2016, 04:28:43 AM »
Nice set up Richard,    I'll be your son-in-law loves coming out there to shoot.

Hi Mike, he sure does and is coming out today to do some shooting. I have my Colt 3rd gen 1873 and Pietta 1862 with 38 Special conversion cylinder ready for him to shoot. Today he learns to load and shoot the creme de la creme of single action revolvers, the 1873. He also likes shooting his .22 rifles.

The white steel targets get white spray painted over many times during a shooting session. They sure beat paper targets. Steel targets have allowed a significant improvement in my handgun shooting skill. The instantaneous feedback does wonders for sharpening the learning curve.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2016, 06:20:46 PM »
Great setup Richard, I'm envious.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2017, 04:44:46 AM »
Hi, every year I try to buy a new steel target for my range. This year I am pushing whimsy by ordering this new target:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181963320062?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Does anyone have a name suggestion for this new target?

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 03:30:41 AM »
Hi, every year I try to buy a new steel target for my range. This year I am pushing whimsy by ordering this new target:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181963320062?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Does anyone have a name suggestion for this new target?

Regards,
Richard

Hi, you guys sure aren't helping me name the new target.

My son-in-law suggested "names that come to mind include: Jesse James, Black Bart, Clint, Tex, Cool-Hand Luke, Shane, Doc Holiday, Wyatt Earp, etc. Maybe name the shooting area the O.K. Corral … just don’t call it Tombstone."

I'm leaning towards Black Bart.

Regards,
Richard

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2017, 05:11:03 AM »
How about Andrew......  after Andrew Cuomo the Gov.
If I had a target like that I'd name it after the bleeding heart liberal spineless Governor of Colorado John Hickenlooper.  Paste a photo on it and fire away.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2017, 08:05:04 AM »
I say you name it "Johnnie"...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2017, 10:12:28 AM »
I say you name it "Johnnie"...

Hi Kirk, I won't touch that suggestion with a ten foot pole.  L@J

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2017, 11:50:26 AM »
Hi, Black Bart just came in the door. I am very pleased with this steel target, very well made. I will post photos after I get it painted and installed.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2017, 06:11:26 AM »
Hi, Black Bart came in the door black and said he would go straight, so I painted him white, but it wasn't long before he again went bad. This is Black Bart mounted on the range:

I also bought a new 12x20x3/8" IPSC target. This is that target with the white paint drying:

This weekend my son-in-law will face off against Black Bart. Get your bets ready.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2017, 11:30:49 AM »
Nothing "black" about that one, Richard. Maybe you should call him "White Willie".
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 03:56:12 AM »
Hi, my son-in-law was here this weekend and took on Black Bart with my dovetailed dialed in Walker using stiff .45 Colt rounds. It was no contest, Black Bart lost. Black Bart would sing out in pain when hit with those 250gr bullets, especially when hit in the groin. The sound coming off Black Bart on bullet impact is much sharper than the sound of the round gongs.

Black Bart is a nice fun addition to my steel target range, well worth the $100 cost.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2017, 10:27:27 AM »
Hi, ordered a new steel target, a buffalo, see:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AR500-Buffalo-Bison-Silhouette-Steel-Target-Gong-24-X-12-X-1-2/182206006951?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

There's little more interesting than shooting steel.

Regards,
Richard