Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Difference between Pietta and Uberti 1862??  (Read 20422 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Difference between Pietta and Uberti 1862??
« on: November 15, 2014, 05:34:15 AM »
Hi, I am considering buying an 1862 Police. Cabellas currently has the Pietta 1862 on sale for $200, Dixie Gun Works has the Uberti 1862 for $275. The Uberti seems to be more historically accurate in that it has is a 5-shot .36 on an 1849 frame. The Pietta is a 6-shot .36.

Frankly, I prefer the Pietta compared to Uberti based on quality and cost, but I would like to have a revolver most consistent with the original sized 1862 Colt.

Does anyone here know the size difference between the Pietta and Uberti? Is the size of the Pietta 1862 just a reworked .36 1851?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Difference between Pietta and Uberti 1862??
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 05:59:59 AM »
Richard,
The Pietta is the same grip and frame as the 1861 Navy with a shorter barrel and a half fluted cylinder.  As far as being true to the 1862 Police, it is not very close.   The Uberti is the right size has the 5 shot cylinder and looks and feels more like the original.   I have been looking at both recently but seem to find the Uberti Police models are not easy to find and over priced when they are up for sale.   My local BP gun shop has one with a flask and bullet mold for sale for $250.   Not bad but the revolver is in fair to poor condition.
$275 for a brand new one from Dixie is the best price I have heard of for a new one.   That's the way I would go.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 08:22:38 AM »
Hi Mike, thanks for the reply, it was very helpful. I ordered the Uberti 1862.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 10:03:01 AM »
I think you'll be pleased with the choice.   I'm still looking but may go ahead and order the Uberti from Dixie.   I would prefer an older Uberti but $275 is a fair price for a new one.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 12:58:26 PM »
Hi Mike, the only negatives I see about buying the Uberti 1862 is the high cost for extra cylinders. Also, I don't think anyone makes a .38 Special conversion cylinder for that model.

A 5.5" 1862 should be a hoot of a revolver to shoot.

I ordered balls, wads, and .357 Lee mold for my new revolver. I like shooting the "Big Boy" BP revolvers, but there is something very special about handling and shooting the compacts.

I'll report back after I get to shoot my new Uberti 1862 Police.

Regards,
Richard

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 03:57:21 PM »
Now that you mention it I don't recall ever seeing a .38 special conversion for the '62 police.   I'll bet someone can put one together for you though.   Maybe "Goons Gun Works" knows something.  He is a knowledgeable  Colt guy.                                 
Here's his website http://www.goonsgunworks.com/

I'm pretty sure he only works on C&B revolvers but I bet he has more info than anyone else.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 04:37:23 PM »
I ordered balls, wads, and .357 Lee mold for my new revolver.

Richard, the 1862 Pocket Police uses a .375 (or .380) round ball; same as any other .36 cal percussion revolver.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 08:16:25 PM »
Hi Fingers, yes on the .375. Sometimes I'm a bit dyslexic.  ;) ;)

Regards,
Richard

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 08:30:35 PM »
Hi Fingers, yes on the .375. Sometimes I'm a bit dyslexic.  ;) ;)

Regards,
Richard

I kinda figured you fat fingered it    *6'
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 03:55:35 AM »
The geometry on the cylinder is wrong for cartridge conversions using modern cartridges.  Too much liablity for manufacturers to accept.

I have wanted a conversion for any of my Pocket Police revolvers since I got my first one decades ago.
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 07:04:14 AM »
The geometry on the cylinder is wrong for cartridge conversions using modern cartridges.  Too much liablity for manufacturers to accept.

I have wanted a conversion for any of my Pocket Police revolvers since I got my first one decades ago.

Hi StrawHat, doing a little research shows that one can install a Uberti 1849 .31 cylinder (also .32S&W conversion cylinder) and barrel on a Uberti 1862 Police. There's little value in doing so, but I'm going to test that out.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 10:22:41 AM »
Hi, an interesting message board link about conversion cylinders for the 1862 Police:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?PHPSESSID=8r99i00qmn8tts1ikg5nsamo11&action=printpage;topic=35136.0

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 08:10:12 AM »
Hi, well it may be a few more days before I see my new Uberti 1862 Police. We got hammered with over 5 feet of lake effect snow here in Bennington NY. There are no vehicles allowed on the roads. My new revolver is probably snow bound in a truck. Two more feet of snow expected tonight.

This is the largest lake effect snow I have ever experienced.

Regards,
Richard 

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 05:56:43 PM »
And probably the first time ever BEFORE THANKSGIVING! Yikes! K_)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 07:24:58 PM »
Obviously global warming!!!         *Z$     mark
on these walks make your gun your constant companion.   TJ