Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Thinking about a Navy....  (Read 18471 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Thinking about a Navy....
« on: December 09, 2014, 09:19:35 AM »
You guys know I'm a sucker for the Colt Navy. Since the only steel Navy I own is not all that hot, I'm considering getting another. Plain Jane, nothing fancy, just a good solid shooter. Which model would you recommend as being the best?
I'm not a fan of the Pietta grip shape, BTW. I would prefer a Second Gen or Signature but think they are probably out of my price range (2-250)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about a Navy....
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 10:32:54 AM »
Hi Captain, I like my Pietta 1851 .44 very much. I shoot both cap and ball and .45 Colt conversion cylinders in it. There should be some good sales for this revolver at Cabelas before the end of the year. I understand that the Uberti is a more accurate reprsentation, but it will cost more than the Pietta and extra cylinders are also more expensive for the Uberti. All the Pietta revolvers purchased over the last few years have been perfect right out of the box, each of my Uberti have required some work.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline HighWall

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 01:44:21 PM »
Looks like Cabelas has the Pietta Navy Civilian .44 on sale for $179, web only.  Nice looking, it has the silver plated brass grip frame and trigger guard.  SWMBO would kill me, but YMMV...

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 02:43:32 PM »
I have the 44 cal. 1851 Navy Civilian Model by Pietta.  While it is a great revolver and also looks great with the silver trigger guard,  it is 44 cal. and just not the same as a 36 cal. Navy.   $179 is a good price though and if I were looking for another 1851 Navy I would consider getting one at that price.    I'll bet there will be some other deals on Pietta guns from Cabelas and others such as Dixie, Midway and Old South Firearms in the near future.

Offline choctaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 04:05:59 PM »
I just bought the Pietta "Hickok" 1851 Navy.  I was able to glance at it before my wife took it away from me, wrapped it and stuck it under the tree.  From what I saw it was sure pretty.   I bought it online from Cabelas for $249 shipped last week.  Not too bad.

Offline HAWKEN50

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 05:59:39 PM »
   Hey Catainkirk if you can swing it go for Pieta's 1851 London Navy. From what i have seen the grip is close to the original. Why the dont go with it on all there models is a good question. Anyway the one i have seen and handled were pretty sweet. Plus the arbor length  on em is usually right on. Check around places like Dixie or Ableammo

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 09:07:01 PM »
Find a Uberti 1851 or London model (Pietta or Uberti); or, better yet, the Hickok Navy that Choctaw got would be a great choice.  The Pietta flare to the grip on this one is not as bad as other models.  I have one that fits my hand a well as a 2ndGen

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 03:44:36 AM »
I have a half dozen Cimarron Navy's or versions of them they are all good (except one I bought)
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 12:57:37 PM »
I think I've posted plenty o' pictures of the Navy I have, an EXCAM imported C.O.M. manufactured .36 cal steel Navy....pretty sure it was on the low side of the Totem pole when I got it...I've done an awful lot of tweaking to bring it up to my standards, but it's still not the quality of Navy I'm looking for. The metal is rough, showing lots of millwork under the bluing. The action WAS horrendous, much better now. Wood is nice, but mediocre wood-to-metal fit.

I'm thinking something in the way of a Cimarron or older Uberti. Definitely don't want a .44 version or a brasser this time, a London or Civilian with silvered backstrap and trigger guard and/or squareback trigger guard would be nice, and not a duplication for the collection. Maybe one of the old Lymans?
I hear what you guys are saying about the Hickok Navy; might have to look into that....

Offline Kaboom

• Too many hobbies, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 02:49:33 PM »
Capt. since you really don't care for this poor under-appreciated revolver, why doncha just send it to me. I'll love and appreciate it to no end, and give it a happy home.   ;D
Black powder smoke is my Aromatherapy.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 07:04:30 PM »
You really don't know me very well, do you? (jh
Dude...I am like the "Crazy Cat Lady" of guns. Once they come home to live they never leave.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 02:59:23 AM »
While I have always been happy with the quality of Uberti made C&B revolvers, I still consider them (and all Italian C&B revolvers) to be kit guns.  They all need work, some more than others.

Having said that, of the many Uberti Navy revolvers I have, the 1861 full fluted cylinder pair is my favorite.  Iron frame, iron backstrap and iron triggerguard, a thing of beauty and they handle like they were meant to be used.  The full flutes shift the balance slightly forward and they just seem to hang, like the proverbial extension of one's arm.
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline 44 Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 06:50:24 PM »
The "kit gun" remark is for sure, but Uberti leaves less to do and cylinder/barrel gap is better.
Uberti has the grip right. Today I shot one in each hand, and to me I don't like the Pietta as well.
After I received my Uberti London 2 1/2 weeks ago from Midway I could not find another one available any where and the Midway one came with a Taylor's brochure in it.
I think brass trigger guard and back strap take about $20 off the price on most single actions.

Offline Pustic

• KM4JZJ Extra Class / WRPR990 GMRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 12:04:13 PM »
Thanks for posting this ssb73q, I just now ordered me one of those.  :)
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.