Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What did you do today  (Read 342826 times)

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do today
« Reply #2130 on: March 24, 2023, 09:29:22 AM »
That's really pretty darn cool. That's some beautiful work, Dave. Nothing boring about it. Some of the old time tracks still exist today in this area. We still have the speedway at the Santa Cruz County Fairgrounds. They ran that as a figure-8 track for a while. If you did one, you'd have to have a crossover bridge but they just ran a cross in the middle of the track. That was interesting. When they have races, we can hear them here.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: March 24, 2023, 09:55:38 AM »
Bored? Are you nuts? This is as fascinating as it is amazing! Your attention to detail and creativity are off the scale!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: March 24, 2023, 10:10:18 AM »
Bored? Are you nuts? This is as fascinating as it is amazing! Your attention to detail and creativity are off the scale!

Agreed on all points. That is beyond awesome.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: March 24, 2023, 11:08:27 AM »
That is some very, very nice work, Dave.

Offline Steamburn

• View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: March 24, 2023, 12:11:06 PM »
Today I made quite a lot of .36 and .44 cal wax cookies.
I use a modified Gatofeo recipe:  50% bee's wax, 50% Crisco.  Nothing more.  The original Gatofeo has so many component that only black pepper and oregano are missing.
I have used these cookies with great success since I started shooting Cap and Balls.  I place them between the powder and the lead, and if you ask, yes, I left one cylinder loaded for a very long time and there was no problem with the wax fouling the black powder; and I don't put any messy Crisco on top of the ball.
I found out that if I use 1 oz of the wax/Crisco mix and let it melt and float on top of hot water in a pot that is around 6 1/4" in diameter, once the system cools down, it gives me a disk that is exactly 1/8" thick.
I cut the .36 cockies with a .38 Special shell, and the .44 cookies with a 6.5x55 cal shell with the neck cut off below the shoulder.
I store the cookies in a small Tupperware filled with cornmeal, so they don't stick to each other.

Offline AZ6Gun

• View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: March 24, 2023, 02:17:43 PM »
Going to put a brass trigger guard on a 1875 Rem shorty.  :cowboypistol:

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: March 24, 2023, 04:44:56 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Just like black powder pistols, it's a labor of love.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: March 24, 2023, 09:07:31 PM »
Looks like a lot of fun! Great job on it......that track looks just like the one I hung out at.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: March 25, 2023, 03:08:08 AM »
That looks like something I could get hooked on real easy.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: March 25, 2023, 05:23:32 AM »
Today I made quite a lot of .36 and .44 cal wax cookies.
I use a modified Gatofeo recipe:  50% bee's wax, 50% Crisco.  Nothing more.  The original Gatofeo has so many component that only black pepper and oregano are missing.
I have used these cookies with great success since I started shooting Cap and Balls.  I place them between the powder and the lead, and if you ask, yes, I left one cylinder loaded for a very long time and there was no problem with the wax fouling the black powder; and I don't put any messy Crisco on top of the ball.
I found out that if I use 1 oz of the wax/Crisco mix and let it melt and float on top of hot water in a pot that is around 6 1/4" in diameter, once the system cools down, it gives me a disk that is exactly 1/8" thick.
I cut the .36 cockies with a .38 Special shell, and the .44 cookies with a 6.5x55 cal shell with the neck cut off below the shoulder.
I store the cookies in a small Tupperware filled with cornmeal, so they don't stick to each other.
Steamburn. That sounds great! Thank you for explaining your process.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: March 25, 2023, 11:51:04 AM »
I’m wondering what Hawg is doing today.   Last night parts of MS got hit with some record breaking tornados.
How ya doin’ Hawg?
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: March 25, 2023, 12:43:11 PM »
That looks like something I could get hooked on real easy.

Indeed it is Hawg. It's a very deep rabbit hole.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: March 25, 2023, 02:03:20 PM »
 I slept all day lol. Yeah a town about two hours away got tore up with 13 dead, 23 total unless that's changed since about 3:00 AM.

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: March 25, 2023, 03:00:43 PM »

I re-inherited the CZ-52 she bought me in 2014, and wouldn't give up in 2022, when we separated belongings.

Do I rebarrel to 9mm, since the hotter and Kevlar piercing Czech ammo is not available, and 9mm, unless I buy the good stuff, is half the cost for shooting?
I still have the 7.62x25 parts, etc.

Or do I deal with the cost of the Yugo milsurp with Bergden primers because "as designed, is as designed"...?

Decided to keep it 7.62x25.

For the rest of "what did I do today" I'll find the "weird Brasser" thread I started, and my iPhone, and post pics there.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: March 27, 2023, 02:44:08 PM »
Yeah Dave.....if I had the room, I'd be all over that one! But for now, the time and bank account are all drained on the El Camino.

I was one of those young hoodlums who hung out at the hobby store most days.....It would be fun to do it again.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick