Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: BP weapons and percussion revolvers in shows and movies  (Read 26578 times)

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
BP weapons and percussion revolvers in shows and movies
« on: August 28, 2016, 03:00:27 PM »
Something I like to do is find movies that feature Percussion Revolvers.  One of my favorites is where Tuco is in the gun shop jacking around with all the guns.  Too much.  Lonesome Dove's   -Here Bartender, Meet Cap n  walker!-   

Anyway,  I saw some scenes in a show, don't remember what it was, but it showed dramatizations of shootouts and such.  One of them was a man with at least one Walker firing it at , ,  someone ,  kinda frantically.  firing it, taking cover and firing again, putting it down, drawing another and so on.  For what I saw, it was great!

Anyone know what show, or whatever featured this?  It is rare to see such a thing.  For the little bit I saw, it was pretty good.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:17:36 PM by Krylandalian »

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
Re: Percussion revolvers in shows and movies
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 10:28:09 PM »
Did nt  show a Walker, however, a fun scene in The Unforgiven is when G. Hackman s  Charachter is describing a conflict between the  Duck of death   and someone with a Walker.  He goes on to describe how the Walker, with the known problem at the time, or as someone in the forum here described- The self detonating cylinders,  how the Walker blew up in his hand,,,.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 11:34:10 PM »
I managed to find that bit.  I was watching a documentary on S. Colt.  There were a lot of cut scene re-enactments.  This one part was really neat.  This guy was running towards cover while firing a Walker. Lock jams and hand turning the cylinder due to the jams, lowering it, and raising another Walker, he continued to blast away.  After not being able to clear a jam, he banged it down on a plank of wood or something, left it, and pulled out, what looked like a 58 Remmington and continued frantically blasting away.

Cool.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 09:10:35 PM by Krylandalian »

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 07:14:42 PM »
Tommy Lee Jones carries an 1851 Navy in "The Homesman" and has a conflict with another guy carrying a Dragoon.
Another movie, I think just called "Wyatt Earp" two guys fight in the street and one of them pulls a Walker.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 11:13:19 PM »
Oh I really like Tommy Lee Jones!  To have him wielding a colt, even better!  I gotta look into this! Thank you for this.
I love seeing Dragoons too!

Oh!  Another movie with a Walker is thag crazy Bruce Willis movie- Last Man Standing.  A bartender has it.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 08:25:09 PM »
Found a good one!  Quigley Down Under.  Seems there is a pile of pistols and longarms of the percussion type in this movie.  I just ordered it from Amazon.

Oh!!  Anyone got a handle on this-  I just watched The Outlaw Josey Wales.  He always has at least two more pistols in holsters slung from the pommel of his saddle.  I can t  tell what they are.  Looks like brass squareback trigger guards. ?

Another with Walkers- It s  called- Ravenous.  Seems creepy.  It s  about the Mexican war.  One of my favorite subjects.  Was going to order it, but decided not to because of the goofy vampire horsshite.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 10:30:19 PM »
Oh!!  Anyone got a handle on this-  I just watched The Outlaw Josey Wales.  He always has at least two more pistols in holsters slung from the pommel of his saddle.  I can t  tell what they are.  Looks like brass squareback trigger guards. ?

Josie carries two Walkers, an 1860 army and a 49 pocket in a shoulder holster.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 01:00:12 AM »
Clarity to my inquiry regarding Josey Wales-  in   a d d i t i o n   to the  2 Walkers, the 1 60 Army and the 1  49 Pocket,  what are the other 2 pistols slung from his saddle pommel?

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 01:11:41 AM »
Just watched- Jane Got A Gun.  Some dude fisting two Walkers laid waste to a few bad ns  in a brothel.  A woman dusted off a dude with a Walker.

Not bad.

Offline wicket

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 06:16:00 AM »
 Interesting gunfight in Redemption: For Robbing The Dead, a Colt navy goes off like a cheap highway flare.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 12:43:44 PM »
There's a bunch of BP Colts in "Django Unchained". Too bad the movie was such a pile of buffalo dung...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 10:44:39 PM »
I m  gonna check those movies.

Kinda interesting-  For the amount of Dragoons that were produced during the percussion era, there are nt  very many of them in movies and stories.

Or?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 09:43:36 PM by Krylandalian »

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 11:06:48 PM »
Just an interesting note. In the movie- The Outlaw Josey Wales,  in the scene where Terrell fires a 60 army at Jamie, notice where the revolver is fired from in relation to Fletchers frggin head?!  He does nt  even flinch!  Can you imagine having someone fire a blackpowder .44 revolver right next to your melon like that?!

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2016, 06:34:27 PM »
Just watched Quigley Down Under.   Some good Dragoon action.  saw a Dragoon 3 times.  One looked like a 1st Dragoon or earlier.  In one scene, a woman fires it like mad at Dingo dogs.  The scenes even show her loading it with a flask, and working the loading lever!!!   This is    r a r e  !    to see the loading going on.

Cool!